Print Story Today has been tough
Misc.
By anonimouse (Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 03:47:16 PM EST) (all tags)
Stackoverflow points acquired today: 130

DIY, computers, cats, work etc.

Mrs Mouse managed to break my ceramic hob during the week, so I bought a new one. Unfortunately the hole that the old one came out of wasn't big enough so I had fun jigsawing incompetently until I managed to get it in.

I bought one of the Tesco Hudls for Mrs Mouse. For the money it seems a reasonably good buy and didn't really notice any incredible shortcomings compared to the Nexus 7. The only minor issues I encountered were that the Android flight sim I had occassionally didn't register the fire button, and the 1440x900 display didn't seem to register properly with one app, which seemed to think it was 1024x768 or thereabouts. In short if you have £60 of Tesco vouchers, you could do far worse than getting one of these and even paying the full price of £120 is good value.

Miss Minimouse got her LED TV mounted on the wall and Mr Minimouse got his computer desk rebuilt due to a fortuitous find of an exact duplicate by Mrs Mouse in a charity shop, meaning that 2 slightly the worse for wear models got converted into one perfect one. Mr Minimouse wants a new office chair for Christmas as he and the cats seem to have made his existing one slightly shabby over the last few years.

Sunday saw three out of four cats curled up like tribbles on my bed. This is slightly unusual, since by experience feline fission normally seems to occur when more than n cats are in the same bedroom for all values of n>2.

Work is going surprisingly well. The company I'm working for is fairly new to working with Agile and is quite formal about it, but the last 2 sprints have both exceeded their targets. This next one should be fun as it will be marked by a change of version control from SVN to Git.
< No stories to tell | I'm trying to give up sexual innuendos >
Today has been tough | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
For all n > 2 by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 04:48:01 PM EST
You've found a truly remarkable proof of this proposition which won't fit in the handy "your proof won't fit in this box" box in the right hand column of scoop sites.

Cat theory by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 04:53:18 PM EST
I did encounter another theory which stated that if your cats are allowed to freely enter and leave your home, you can only successfully keep n cats, where n is the number of bedrooms you have.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Cat theory is all well and good. by gmd (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 02:41:22 AM EST
 Bu I find cat/string theory far more interesting...

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
svn->git by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 10:49:22 AM EST

I've recently had to switch to using Git and I really don't get it (Git it?).  I'm pretty sure our reason for switching was either cargo culting ("all the best software projects are using it"), or that our boss just likes it better.  I can see why it's better for truly distributed and volunteer-based projects but for a traditional software company it seems like overkill.

It has its advantages by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 03:56:51 PM EST
I've become quite the git fan.  There's some stuff that's easy that would be a nightmare with other systems.

For one, it's fairly easy to make pretty arbitrary changes to the chain of commits if things go wrong.  For instance, once we had a bad commit checked in followed by three important ones.  It was fairly trivial to delete the branch, recreate it at the point before the error, then pull in the important ones.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Numerous positives by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 06:48:20 AM EST
  • you can commit to the repository without net connection and sync your changes later.
  • GIT merging seems better than its SVN competition
  • can share local changes with other team members and then merge into main repository

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL