Print Story Eastern Europeans are taking our jobs!
Trolling
By anonimouse (Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 08:38:30 AM EST) (all tags)
It's 1939 in reverse

The press is normally full of articles about how Eastern Europeans are taking all the low paid and manual jobs, and how its hard to find a decent builder who is not Polish.

As you may realise, anonimouse does not do hard manual labour, yet the company I'm currently working for seems to have a fairly large quota of these job stealing immigrants. In return, we only seem to have exported Dr Thrustgood.
< Where will Americans draw the line? | If the dirtpig has a shadow, >
Eastern Europeans are taking our jobs! | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Try by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 10:09:38 AM EST
Working somewhere else apart from the local Polski Sklep...

Actually by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 11:51:56 AM EST
...there is a fairly good chance that the package I am working on is handling your agency payments

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Brits in Poland by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 11:44:28 AM EST
You'd possibly be surprised at the number of Brits (and Irish) that live in Poland.

I'm sure there's nowhere near as many but there's quite a few.

But the biggest most recent immigration group into Poland currently appears to be the Spanish.

Dunno about that by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 11:59:13 AM EST
Sure, you run into the odd expat in the big cities, especially if you go to expat bars/events, but I've not found that to be in huge numbers.

From what I can tell from Wikipedia, there's somewhere between 2,000 and 10,000 Britons in Poland:

Slight improvement from the 800 here in 2002, mind ;-)

Well it's probably skewed being in Kraków by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 12:23:36 PM EST
But I'm almost as likely to run hear English speakers in the main square as I am Polish speakers.

Plus I tend to hang out with expats, so that definately shapes my perception as well.

Plus how accurate is that census, I'm pretty sure I'm not on it, as I don't recall taking part in any census in 2011. (In my case they at least know I'm here because I have to register for a residency permit, others from the EU don't).

Hah, yeah, I don't think it's *that* surprising by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 04:08:19 AM EST
that you hear people speaking English in the most touristy place in the most touristy city in Poland ;-)

Census: good point, me neither... I think.

I don't tend to hang around in expat circles, but do visit the higher end of restaurants and bars - even there, in Warsaw at least, you don't hear English very often.

Of course, though, there are always those people that skew things somewhat, the native English speakers with a Polish parent who speak decent enough Polish to disguise themselves ;)

Oh, and... by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 04:16:41 AM EST
Do you mean the Karta Pobytu? Given how much of a pain in the arse that was (just in time alone - office was a right pain for me to get to), and as an EU citizen, I'm going to be really pissed off if that's no longer a requirement for the meldunek fun, grrr ;)

KB by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 04:43:42 AM EST
I didn't think you would need one, as I was told that I needed it so that I wouldn't have to keep renewing my business VISA (an as an EU citizen you don't require a VISA to travel or work in Poland as far as I'm aware).

However upon a quick google search as I was curious, it appears potentially you need one if you plan to stay in Poland for more than 5 years. So I was probably wrong.

Other things like zameldowanie, you should have as even Polish citizens need to register for that one.

But honestly, when it comes to what documents I need, I just fill out what Iza tells me to, and go to the various Polish offices with one of them whenever I'm told, and stand there while they talk on my behalf.

Haha, lucky you! by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 07:04:52 AM EST
For the council offices close to us, my wife was fine to come along, but for the further-away ones, I had to muddle along with a look of bemusement on my face.

I'm lucky now, as - with a wink and smile - I can offload a lot of that stuff onto my accountants, so kind of the same situation as with you and Iza. Win! :-)

Comin' over 'ere by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 12:01:50 PM EST
Stealin' our wimmen, having kids, creating jobs, err, wait, hang on...

Fun fact: want a cheap labourer, or an au pair for your kids? Ukrainians to the rescue! And so the cycle continues.

I run a team of 6 Ukrainians by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 04:27:58 PM EST
Their visa requirements to enter the UK are pretty fierce, TBH.  Already had two applications turned down by the British Embassy in Kiev.

And these are shit hot coders, BTW, clearly not wanting to come over and bludge.

I am surprised by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 04:35:20 PM EST
I thought a requirement to get a work visa for skilled jobs was that UK talent was not available?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Often, it depends how good your legal team is. by gmd (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 05:16:01 PM EST
It's all about how you define the skill set.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Simples by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #17 Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 09:34:04 AM EST
Must be skilled programmer and speak Ukrainian because the rest of the team in Kiev are Ukrainian,

Meant from a Polish perspective by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 04:12:58 AM EST
But yeah, can very much believe that.

Incidentally, I'm not sure what the British Embassy in Kiev is like, but I've found a perverse sense of humour in how ineffectual the one in Warsaw is; they basically can't do a single thing on their own there.

Need anything official? That'll involve a phonecall to Amsterdam to get permission first, bless.

Not great by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 01:07:50 PM EST
An imaginary internet friend from Ukraine applied for a visa and was given an "Indefinite leave to remain" which promptly (though with enough delay for her to have found a job over here and given notice to the job there) got revoked on the grounds that was the wrong one. She was then refused the correct visa in case she tried to use the revoked one to overstay. Five years or so of appeals later her fiancees elderly parents have both died so he's now trying to get his Persona Non Grata status as the sponsor of a potential Ukrainian emigrant revoked so he can move there...

One of the main goals of the communist EU by gmd (3.00 / 5) #10 Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 08:07:21 PM EST
 Is labour mobility,

and everyone seems so shocked when labour mobility occurs.

if people understood that that the labour mobility promoted by the EU leads to a 'level labour playing field', perhaps they would not have supported the main pro-EU parties (conservatives, labour, libdem).

the bottom line is, protectionism works, and preserves a hierarchy. Perhaps not a fair one, but nonetheless.

The key point for Westerners to take on board is, that there are people out there who are only marginally less educated than you, and who will work for a fraction of what you demand.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Welcome to America by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 06:11:16 AM EST
 Though our immigration system tends to support the hierarchy.  Anyway any immigrants in the US do labor Americans won't do for the salaries involved.  Thank goodness since I don't want to buy lettuce that was picked at a labor cost Americans would accept.

---------------
Whoever rated this zero by gmd (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 08:26:10 PM EST
 Would you care to elaborate?

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.