Print Story It's been a while
By hulver (Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 06:56:03 AM EST) (all tags)
Since I wrote one of these.

I've not been on the proper bike since LEL. I still consider it a failure, and nothing anybody says can change that. I cycled a long way, but I wanted to complete the ride and didn't.

Unfinished business for me.

I have been commuting to work on one of the other bikes though. It now needs a good clean and the winter tyres putting on.

We're getting a new (to us) car. I'm not throwing any more money at the old car. I went too far with that anyway. We've recently had the fuel pump replaced (for >£500) only for something else to fail. Had enough now, time to auction it off and get something a bit newer, smaller and more economical.

Our heating bill has been pretty horendous lately. I've made some changes to the timing of the heating which might save some money, but we need to do two more things.

1. Fix the fireplace in the living room, so we can just heat the room we spend the most time in.
  2. Put TRVs on all the radiators. Herring's post on FB this morning reminded me about that.
Unfortunately our heating pipes at 10mm microbore, which is a PITA to fit TRVs to. The easiest way is to cut the pipe off, solder on some adapters and fit the TRV to that. I might end up doing that. Perhaps I can pick the coldest day of the year to do it?

The dogs are fine. Getting along nicely. Begging for strokes, and walks and ball play. We took them out for a walk on a big field the other day. We went out with 2 balls, and came home with 4. Everytime we'd put the ball away so they could run off and have a sniff, they'd find another one in the grass and bring it to us to play with.

Ball obsessed.

D1 is fairly stressed. Final year at school before her exams, and they're ramping up the pressure on course work and revision. She's coping with it pretty well, and seems to have calmed down recently.

Christmas is coming.

Work is busy. Very busy. All the time busy. I've been doing quite a bit of JavaScript work lately, which I'm enjoying quite a bit. I quite like it as a language. People have done some hideous things with it though, including some of the stuff I've had to maintain. Mostly refactored now though. I'm just dealing with the last bit of fval = eval("document.all."+fname+".value").

Ok, lunch time. Go home, let the dogs out, eat soup.

This is a bit disjointed. Did I mention I'm busy at work?

How is everyone?

< A moment of silence, please | For the ashes of his fathers >
It's been a while | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I notice by Herring (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 07:09:00 AM EST
that Screwfix does TRVs for 10mm pipes.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Actually by Vulch (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 07:31:36 AM EST
Don't ever put TRVs on *all* radiators, leave one straight through. Things can get expensive and messy if the boiler and pump fire up but all the TRVs are still shut. In new installations it'll often be something like a heated towel rail in the bathroom that has no valves at all so ensures there is always a path through.

Yeah by hulver (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 08:21:59 AM EST
The problem with that is that 10mm pipe gets distorted very easily. Compression fittings on 10mm pipe can be a bit of a nightmare. Some of the pipes near the radiators look to be in fairly poor state.

Besides, I quite fancy playing with a blow torch.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

A bit bored by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 07:23:02 AM EST
Working on a military medical records system which is, well, lets just say I have a good understanding of how healthcare.gov got so screwed up...

Riding wise, got in 80 miles since Friday. Can now do 40 miles without problem, and even do 25 the next day. Weight loss stopped in August, but I haven't gained any. Yet. Waist has shrunk a bit though.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Bored and thinking by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 08:08:35 AM EST
To stave off boredom with my job I've been watching (not really doing the homework) two Coursera courses, Marketing 101 and a higher level class called Organizational Analysis. My respect for the behavioral analysis in Marketing and other business disciplines grows as I watch the lectures.

I'm working on a book at about 100 words a day, and gearing up for my black belt test. Therapy for managing emotions has really helped the kids, so home life is better. My turn for a tune-up. Boredom makes me somewhat like a Labrador pup locked in a room with wicker furniture. Nothing good will come of it.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Heh by hulver (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 08:23:36 AM EST
I've got this mental image of you chewing up wicker furniture now.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Maybe someone should take you for a run by Scrymarch (4.00 / 2) #14 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 10:42:49 AM EST

Iambic Web Certified

Going well. by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 08:20:12 AM EST
Roughly 18 weeks until the arrival of D1, here.
The world is not ready (at least, we're not,  yet).

I'm still not ready by hulver (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 08:22:48 AM EST
15 years and counting.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Baby due in less than 2 weeks by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 3) #9 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 08:35:24 AM EST
Also stressed & confused at work.

Mental state: AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGggghhhhhhhhh!

Arrrgggghhhhh! by hulver (4.00 / 2) #10 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 08:45:35 AM EST
It does get easier. Eventually. You either cope, or sit quietly rocking in a corner.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Oooo by ana (4.00 / 4) #11 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 09:13:33 AM EST
The mini-snail will be just about the same age as R343L mark II.

About the same by Herring (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 11:50:47 AM EST
But mini R343L is already here (Facebook)

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Also on Twitter by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 01:18:39 PM EST
Yeah by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #12 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 09:49:09 AM EST
New borns are great for taking your mind off the stresses of work because you'll be so stressed and tired looking after them, you won't have the time...

no biking by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 10:41:31 AM EST
but i was working on my running, and can almost run a 5k without walking.  hell, i probably can do it, i just need to not be up all night/not be sick so i can get out again.

Busy and broke by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 01:27:57 PM EST
Which is about the same as always.

Thanks for asking. by ReboundRabbit (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 12:57:47 PM EST
  I'm fine too.  Busy with a job that's crap but brings in the money to pay for the new to us car.
Home sick a bit too. I've not been to Germany this year at all and miss Berlin.  That half Germany was at our wedding doesn't count.
I'm dreaming of a new job, of more spontaneity when it comes to travelling.  Especially when watching all those Scandinavian series.  I want to escape the day life aka routine a bit.  I'd probably even take a trip to the Lake District if it doesn't do it till Sweden.
Oh well. Tak.
See ya at home in a bit.
Greetings from the tram on the way from work to home. Did I mention that my commute is 1.5 hrs home?! Shit job

Optional activity: Standing around and enjoying life. -- Jan Gehl (Architect)

It's been a while | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback