Print Story I hope we've hit peak Halloween drama
Zombies
By georgeha (Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 11:52:33 AM EST) Poland, report cards, ADD (all tags)
because Mrs. Ha and I are hungover from ADD spawned Halloween drama. The two bottles of 15 year old mead had little to do with that.

Update [2013-11-1 15:33:19 by georgeha]: Twelve year old got an invite.
Poll: Best thing to hand out on Halloween?

I got home yesterday to find the upstairs in disarray, with a bin and two suitcases of dressup clothing scattered around. Twelve_year_old couldn't find her tiger ears and seventeen_year_old wanted a wig, but not one of the three wigs we have. She wanted to out to the burbs to a costume store, then a farmer's market for pumpkins, while still getting back in time for Girl Scouts in an hour. Rochester's rush hour isn't bad, but the driving time alone would have consumed that hour.

We compromised with a trip to CVS and then Wegman's. I had to remind her that we're broke until I got paid today, repeatedly. I can't buy her stuff at CVS, we can't get extras at Wegman's, I didn't sign her up for the ACT, etc, we're broke.

In the meantime she mentioned she has the opportunity to go to Poland in July and teach English, which would conflict with her long planned trip with the Girl Scouts to the UK, unless maybe the Scouts can reschedule around her and still avoid the very high prices associated with the Fringe Festival in August.

Poland dealt with the Nazi's and Soviet Union, they can probably deal with seventeen_year_old for a month.

I got her to Girl Scouts and got a text that she needed her wallet. I picked her up at Girl Scouts and she asked for money to buy stuff, again, we're broke.

At least the Scout Leaders told her to make a choice, and make that choice in a week. Maybe she'll listen to them.

The rest of the night was full of drama as she needed the perfect yearbook quote that night, and Oscar Wilde is no good because Facebook is full of Wilde quotes, and she had homework to do, and she didn't have time to carve the pumpkin I bought...

Some drama on the youngest's part as her plans are still up in the air, but at least she found her ears, and helped carve her pumpkin.

She never set up anything for Halloween, and she sits with a new crowd at the new school at the Pokemon table, instead of huddling with her charter school alums. She thankfully didn't get an invite to go trick or treating with her ex-bff and friends, who are double dating two boys from the charter school, along with a tagalong or two from the school. Awkward.

She has a few asks out, and may end up with seventeen_year_old and one of her friends and her friend's youngest sister, who is also in seventh grade.

Plus, report cards came home. Twelve_year_old now holds the SOTA record for our house, a 4.17, with one B+, four As and four A+s. If she keeps that up she'll be in honors next year. Seventeen_year_old had a more varied report card, apparently the summer homework she didn't do was important (D), teachers do care if you come in late every day (C+ in Theatre Tech, ruining her A+ streak of the last four years), etc.

So yeah, seventeen_year_old was in full on ADD mode, leaving my wife and I exhausted today. But there is a good chance that this was the last full drama Halloween, unless she flunks out of school by October next year.
Update [2013-11-1 15:33:19 by georgeha]: Twelve year old got an invite. She ended up going with her friend art_girl for a few blocks, then they socialized. Art_girl has been having a hard time at SOTA, it's big and overwhelming to her. At least twelve_year_old has been going there for plays, and has a big sister for help. I socialized too, and had one glass of wine. That's a record low for me when socializing at a teacher's house.

< Recipe Sharing: Awesome Cheesy Grits | Spy Scandal Part XXVII >
I hope we've hit peak Halloween drama | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Wipo by anonimouse (4.00 / 3) #1 Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 02:23:42 PM EST
Halloween is the only time that the Right to Bear Arms seems sensible in modern America

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Right to Arm Bears... by ana (4.00 / 3) #4 Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 04:55:48 PM EST
and you've got yourself a costume idea.

Arming Bears by anonimouse (3.00 / 2) #6 Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 05:01:03 PM EST
I knew I'd heard that quote before

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Nah, not that frightening compared to the 2008 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 04:58:15 PM EST
and 2012 elections, and y2k.

Hmm by Herring (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 03:53:11 PM EST
I've been spending the evening in the room at the back of the house with the puter and musical instruments. All the lights at the front of the house are off. Mrs. H. and the kids are away. If the doorbell goes, I ain't answering.

Since you ask, no it isn't the most exciting birthday I've had.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

In USIa, that's code for a child molestor by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 04:54:34 PM EST
or perhaps a fundy.

To be honest, a birthday alone with no family responsibilities sounds damn exciting to me.

Happy birthday! by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #7 Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 07:51:37 PM EST
For some reason I am now chronically anxious about wishing people happy birthday on Facebook like normal human beings do.

Ring Pops were a hit by purr (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 09:08:09 PM EST
and skittles
Life is good when you are young. Then it sucks when you are old. And then you die. Live it while you got it.
mary jane molasses and peanut butter candy, imo. by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 06:30:55 AM EST

Polska, polska, polska! by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 06:36:21 AM EST
Just wanted to say that if you have any questions or want any info from a local, feel free to drop me a line :)

Thanks, but it's not likely going to happen by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 10:41:06 AM EST
from what I hear, there are plenty of opportunities to go to eastern Europe and teach English for a pittance, and seventeen_year_old is prone to fits of excitement about the latest shiny thing in her life.

Hehe by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 11:03:35 AM EST
All good, thought I'd mention it just in case. And totally agree regarding such opportunities. I know a couple of people who run language schools here, and there's definitely an element of "I can't speak Polish, what shall I do to earn a living?" for some of the staff involved ;)

It rained in my neighborhood by Orion Blastar (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 08:36:36 AM EST
so the kids went somewhere else to get candy.

We had some kids come out with umbrellas. Only gave away 1/4th of the bowl of candy.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
WIPO: Skittles and iced tea. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 11:34:18 PM EST

WIPO: chocolate Chick tracts by lm (4.00 / 2) #15 Sat Nov 02, 2013 at 07:54:17 AM EST
If someone doesn't make those, they should.

Cicero, The Republic