Print Story Recipe Sharing: Awesome Cheesy Grits
Food
By Gedvondur (Tue Oct 29, 2013 at 03:36:12 PM EST) Recipes, Grits, Cheese, FUCK YA (all tags)
You are gonna love them.

Cheese Grits

(modified from this URL http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/cheese-grits-recipe/index.html)

Ingredients

2 cups whole milk
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup coarse grits
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces sharp Cheddar, shredded
4 - 5 hard shakes of Frank’s Red Hot.

Directions

• Place the milk, water, and salt into a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
  • Once the milk mixture comes to a boil, gradually add the cornmeal while continually whisking.
  • Once all of the cornmeal has been incorporated, decrease the heat to low and cover.
  • Remove lid and whisk frequently, every 3 minutes, to prevent grits from sticking or forming lumps; make sure to get into corners of pot when whisking.
  • Cook for 20 minutes, it will make it a bit al dente.
  • Remove from the heat, add the pepper and butter, and whisk to combine.
  • Once the butter is melted, gradually whisk in the cheese a little at a time.
  • Serve immediately.
NOTES:

I used sharp shredded white cheddar cheese about six ounces. I also added five or six hard shakes of Frank’s Red Hot. Need to make sure to get the salt and the ground pepper amounts rights. For the first batch we used Red Mill stone ground grits. Gotta remember to cover it too, I think it will get too dry. Don’t try and add other cheeses, especially parmigiana, I think it will make it too dry. Turned out awesome.
< Make your own sriracha | I hope we've hit peak Halloween drama >
Recipe Sharing: Awesome Cheesy Grits | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
STEP 0: by ammoniacal (4.00 / 3) #1 Tue Oct 29, 2013 at 08:56:29 PM EST
Drink vodka until eating grits seems like a good idea.

Step -1 by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Oct 29, 2013 at 09:17:26 PM EST
Drink Scotch.  Clear liquors are for rich women on diets.

"So I will be hitting the snatch hard, I think, tonight." - gzt
Anyone know by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Oct 30, 2013 at 05:24:13 AM EST
What "coarse grits" are called in the UK, or if they're available? Doesn't look very tasty.
Dunno by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Oct 30, 2013 at 05:40:53 AM EST
But I'd use a rustic polenta as an equivalent.

Yup by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Oct 30, 2013 at 09:37:37 AM EST
Same thing.  I think they call it "grits" here because they don't want to sound to fancy.  :-)

"So I will be hitting the snatch hard, I think, tonight." - gzt
Did something like this at the weekend by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Oct 30, 2013 at 08:26:24 AM EST
But with polenta and soft blue cheese.
Had two wisdom teeth pulled by a swabian butcher last week and wanted to eat something that tasted like food for grownups.

Polenta = Grits by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Oct 30, 2013 at 09:36:11 AM EST
Same thing.  Sounds good with blue cheese, though!

"So I will be hitting the snatch hard, I think, tonight." - gzt
polenta = grits indeed by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Oct 30, 2013 at 09:45:57 AM EST
But the default texture of the most sold variant of each is not the same (a little searching in the aisles solves it).

Ob Natalie Portman by Herring (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Oct 30, 2013 at 05:24:36 PM EST
naked & petrified

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
-______________- by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Oct 30, 2013 at 09:16:07 PM EST
i hate trying to be a civilized internet citizen.

You did not like my grits recipe? by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 12:01:41 AM EST

"So I will be hitting the snatch hard, I think, tonight." - gzt
drool. by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Nov 04, 2013 at 09:25:29 PM EST
 Now I've got to pick up some grits.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly