Print Story Stupid CSS
Technology
By hulver (Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 06:13:23 AM EST) (all tags)
Browsing HuSi on my phone annoys me.

I use Chrome on my Android phone.

It doesn't display HuSi very well. It's strange.

Notice that the first line of the comment is ok, but the second line is smaller. It's so small (on my phone) that I have to zoom in to read it.

The css is the same. There used to be no font size specified. I tried specifying one, but it made no difference.

Most likely it's something to do with HuSi's somewhat interesting markup, but I've no idea.

Does anybody have any ideas?

< going long on shotgun shells, volume 2 | Red October >
Stupid CSS | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
HuSi always looks fine on my phone by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 07:08:42 AM EST
But it's old.

Cicero, The Republic
It works ok in the normal phone browser by hulver (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 07:29:26 AM EST
Apart from it's too wide and too small by default, so you have to zoom in anyway then scroll left and right. At least the lines are the same font size.

Desktop chrome is fine. Just the mobile one is weird.

I even set up a debugger, so I could use desktop debugging tools to check the dom and stuff like that while it was one the phone. That all seems correct, it just displays weird.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

What I can see by darkbrown (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 10:16:30 AM EST
Is that this line is within the <div class="comment"> but does not have a <p> in front of it

this line does though. it doesn't seem to change the computed css on my mac, but there are user-agent styles applies to p that aren't applied to div that are probably different on chrome android?

I saw that by hulver (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:27:44 AM EST
I added a line in the css to explicitly style the P tags, no change.

I checked the computed styles in the debugger, and they looked the same.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

First line and autoformatting by marvin (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:35:00 AM EST
I don't think the first line gets paragraph tags around it.

Only the second and subsequent lines get a p.

Sorry, same thing as darkbrown by marvin (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:38:59 AM EST
Just you seemed to be trying to fix it by making the div look like a p. Why not just add a p tag on the first paragraph?

Works OK on my iPhone by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 07:36:33 AM EST
Apple, it just works (TM)... apart from the Maps, Siri, IOS 7etc

Simple solution by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 09:48:59 AM EST

Get a bigger phone!

Dom Joly

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
app by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:17:15 AM EST
I keep kicking around the idea of writing a HuSi app (iOS at first) to jump start my mobile development skills.  But I know enough to know I would never really be able to work on it enough unless I was unemployed.

Works fine on Chrome for my S4 by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:26:45 AM EST
Although I hate that it occasionally switches to the mobile scheme.  I use the old_skool theme generally, don't know if that makes a difference.

Mobile theme by hulver (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:31:44 AM EST
It's the mobile theme I have the problem with.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Ah by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:52:49 AM EST
Honestly, seems rather pointless to me anymore.  Things like Chrome for Android do so well at handling "desktop" sites, and I really hate having to scroll all the way to the bottom for the menus and stuff.

You should... by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:55:12 AM EST
Complain to the guy who runs the site, demand he fix it, and threaten to quit if he doesn't.  (Make sure to point out how the donations you've given entitle you to the fix.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Something something yacht by mrgoat (4.00 / 3) #16 Thu Oct 03, 2013 at 04:54:22 PM EST

--top hat--
I get the exact same thing by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 02:41:01 PM EST
on my android phones.

Looks fine here on Android. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 09:50:50 PM EST
However, I can only tolerate landscape viewing on this site, never portrait.

maybe we need a husi app? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Oct 03, 2013 at 10:53:29 PM EST

Stupid CSS | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback