Print Story The read in 2013 list
Books
By Vulch (Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 02:04:46 PM EST) (all tags)
167 books read in the year which is up from last year but down on 2010. Missing are a bunch of shorter works by John Scalzi which I got in ebook form, most of the components had their own ISBNs and so did the bundle but they didn't show up in the usual sources and I forgot to look again later.

Feels like a bit more urban fantasy than usual, otherwise the usual mix of that and science fiction with a handful of oddities thrown in, and a diversion into ancient Rome during the autumn with Simon Scarrows Eagle series and Robert Graves two Claudius books.

Still haven't sorted out adding ratings or reviews. One day... :-)

December

March

February

January

167
< To The Emperor! | Piers Morgan owned by Alex Jones >
The read in 2013 list | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm feeling a bit left behind by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 04:17:18 PM EST
Haven't read the latest Dresden Files, Laundry or Rivers of London yet. Need. More. Time.
Latest in series by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 04:18:35 AM EST
The latest Dresden is only in hardback at the moment and I'm short of space for another non-paperback bookshelf. The reading of the first two or three Dresdens in December accelerated through the rest of the series over the last couple of weeks due to having a cold and cough (and deciding I coudn't play Civilization V the whole time) though. That could result in buying the hardback rather than waiting until September for the paperback. The next Laundry book is written but not due for 18 months.

I think I've said before that I read quickly, number of pages / 2 is a good approximation to the number of minutes a book will last me. Weekend mornings often involve a couple of hours reading in bed so that's a typical paperback gone in two sessions, and half an hour each evening before going to sleep will clear another one.

I feel lame by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 04:33:26 PM EST
I've read a mere 37.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
hey! by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 04:52:29 AM EST
That's my list! Or rather what it would be if I did not have a 10m old.

As it is, there's still overlap (yay Kindle).
I did the Charlaine Harris marathon too this year but stopped about 3 books from the end as it was just getting unspeakably shite. Dresden Files although also getting a bit stretched carry it much better - did all those too.

Rivers of London books are very enjoyable, all. Aparently the guy is also a onetime scriptwriter.

Snuff had its moments. Vimes is still my one true literary hero, but as a book this one made me mostly want to go back and reread Nightwatch.

Reamde was the first Stephenson I've properly enjoyed since Diamond Age.

Rivers and Reamde by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 05:28:20 AM EST
Ben Aaronovich was a Doctor Who script writer from the Sylvester McCoy era and also wrote some of the spin-off books and radio adventures.

I liked the Baroque Cycle from Stephenson, especially as it nudged me into reading actual historical stuff from the period. Reamde had to be read in small bursts due to its weight, unfortunately due to my fast reading speed I don't get on with e-readers yet, they just don't show enough text at once although Aldiko on a 10" android tablet is not far off.

ereaders by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 06:04:42 AM EST
I have a similar issue with page size but when it is a choice between getting used to it and therefore actually getting some one-handed reading done or not getting more than 30 mins a week...

I used to read <n/t> by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 06:59:43 PM EST

---------------