Print Story Anyone in Floridia?
By BadDoggie (Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 03:27:30 PM EST) (all tags)
The F-State. I will be there at the beginning of Fed. Bueller?

Bueller?

No, sugar_spun and Mildly NaughtyPuppy will not be there. Just me, because Larry says so.

If you know of some awesome shipping company which will move a couple of 30-50# boxes from there to Muunich, we're listening and preparing a special xmasssss card for you.

< Up the OXO Tower | the rate of dust accumulation here is ridiculous >
Anyone in Floridia? | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Florida is a big place! by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 04:07:28 PM EST
Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville..?

I've got a customer in the last one, but on-site visits are planned several months in advance.

Re: shipping, I can ask around - had two co-workers transfer (from US offices) to Munich recently, they might have found something.

Orlando by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 05:02:01 AM EST
But with a rental car. Tampa is a quick scoot across I10. Or a short flight if I renew my medical and complete a long-overdue BFR.

If either of the cow-orkkrs haven't still gone, they could take many boxen of stuff. Even without, feel free have them contact me if they need help in settling in.

woof.

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. -- HitchensChristopher Hitchens

FL is big by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 05:39:56 PM EST
Starting at Orlando can get you to a few places in under 4 hours, but there is also traffic that adds time.

Go to Gatorland. It was the only attraction in the area when I was growing up.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

And Monkey Jungle? by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 12:18:55 PM EST
Orlando is a hole. Period. The best it has to offer me is Disney's best attempt not to be Disney at House of Blues. And that's it. Reel Big Fish are playing next Thursday. I'll be the hairy one with a lime-filled glass of soda water.

woof.

It's a too-quickly-grown LA now by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 04:10:35 PM EST
But when I was a kid it was an agricultural county seat. All of the stripmalls and zero-lot-line houses are overlaid in my mind on pine woods, tomato fields and cattle pasture.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

contacting done.. by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 06:52:49 PM EST
But it looks like it won't help much.

Larry by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 04:40:13 PM EST
this is self styled Japanophile Larry, no?
Who am I to fault taste in art? by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 05:09:09 AM EST
There are a lot of reasons to dislike the man but his penchant for things Nipponese ain't one I can get behind.

woof.

can't larry put it on his boat by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 01:22:09 PM EST
any of them ?

Hey REC by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 08:05:30 PM EST
How does one get a job as a roadie? Touring theatre group, rock band, it doesn't matter.

LOL WHAT?!?! by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 12:15:33 PM EST
I don't follow, but whatever job I take, I have considerable fixed expenses which needs musted be covering.

I wouldn't be a roadie these days; I don't like that I have to spend just a week away from my family.

woof.

Not me, at best business travel is a pain by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 12:19:32 PM EST
but our sixteen year old daughter attends an art school, in the theatre tech major. She has ADD and has trouble sitting quietly and studying. She hates writing, likes math, and has failed math and English in her latest marking period, mostly because homework is boring.

She does like to travel, work with her body, and experience new things. Maybe she'd like to be a roadie.

Is there a roadie union?

Union is generally IATSE by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 12:50:50 PM EST
But she probably doesn't want to hump pound-a-foot cable for the next 40 years. Fuck IATSE (especially Local 5). Theatre tech, she should already be getting her hands dirty with various jobs, from scrim painting and hanging to light gelling to weighting the fucking flys and even starting to make contacts. Yale, U Cincinnati, and U Cal are where you want to look for college if Y'all're thinking of an MFA (set designers get paid really well). Day labour might get lucky and take a T-shirt home with the sub-minimum wage paycheck.

I thought the article made it clear that roadie travel sucks sweaty hairy ass (and that's on good days). Maybe it's better with those newfangled DDR technology phones and APPZ and whatnot, but I doubt it. OTOH, if she loves what she's doing and can leave within the means that it provides, then she'll be doing better than most of us.

woof.

Humping pound a foot cable for a few months by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 12:59:42 PM EST
might be just the motivation she needs to do her boring homework.

Motivation by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 01:19:26 PM EST
Few things outside voluntarily wearing a country's uniform provide more motivation than moving five 200' segments  of 4/0 across a muddy field.

woof.