Print Story could mark zuckerberg be the savior of the GOP?
Photos
By gzt (Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 09:11:15 PM EST) gzt, obamacare, zuckerberg, bankers, lunix (all tags)
serious question. he's holding a fundraiser for Chris Christie. the GOP is lacking direction and needs to redefine itself away from its crazy core. Zuckerberg is, like, the first ever young tech billionaire to show interest in any GOP politician ever.

it's a pity, though: i like some aspects of chris christie, but, generally, i dislike him quite a bit. when it comes to GOP types, i'm more of a schwarzenegger/bloomberg type. but i'm much more interested in seeing bankers hang from lampposts than jailing people standing in front of banks asking why bankers aren't hanging from lampposts, so that gets rid of a lot of the GOP (and Dem) agenda.

serious question: why the hell doesn't my printer work in lunix? the lunix recognized it, installed the driver, and now, uh, nothing. THANKS OBAMACARE.

< Fedora 18 | Up the OXO Tower >
could mark zuckerberg be the savior of the GOP? | 36 comments (36 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
yeah, republican moderates... by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 09:28:17 PM EST
i'm going to make a crazy guess and say zuckerberg's angle on christie is he thinks moderate politicians are the road to support for big internet companies getting favorable legislative treatment. christie's not much of a presidential candidate, but he'd make a good senator.

lp0 on fire? sounds like you've been playing to much nethack on the company's roll!

The printer driver... by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 09:43:59 PM EST
...has been eaten by a grue

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
i guess you can play it in emacs by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 09:52:52 PM EST
i should have a buffer for that.

Printers by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 05:06:15 AM EST
Is it ironic that, given the genesis of the free software movement can be traced back to wanting to fix a printer driver, printers tend to be the most impossible part of the GNU userland?

Having been raised in Jersey by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 08:06:38 AM EST
with lots of Jersey friends...before Sandy, Christie wasn't as...well liked. Teachers unions, his tax plan, etc. Even I was more than annoyed with his original plans to realign the best state university in the nation with some lesser schools.

After Sandy, even my NJ teacher friends who Christie was willing to pressure, are willing to stand by the guy. I honestly don't think he could have done a better job, he's been doing the right things to get the state and all the people back on track.

??? by the mariner (4.00 / 3) #6 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 08:11:15 AM EST
christie doesn't have any jurisdiction over berkeley. what are you talking about?

local pride by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 08:26:00 AM EST
Perception altering substance.

LOL ;) /nt by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 08:28:01 AM EST

you misspelled "Michigan" by nathan (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 03:46:26 PM EST

was saving that for when someone says by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 03:47:34 PM EST
rutgers is second best, actually.

sick neg on texas, bro by nathan (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 06:02:56 PM EST

that's the way to play... by gzt (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 07:17:49 PM EST
...on these high self esteem schools.

i prefer the "kino neg" by nathan (2.00 / 0) #30 Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 08:34:29 AM EST
(sacking their quarterback)

i don't think harvard state... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #35 Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 11:57:38 PM EST
...really cares about football. maybe scuttling their shell in the regatta?

EGREGIOUS pat mcinally anti-trolling by nathan (2.00 / 0) #36 Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 09:22:50 AM EST

word by gzt (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 07:32:03 PM EST
I mean, rutgers is probably top 5 in terms of state schools, but i'd rank berk, michigan, and texas over it (depending on what you're interested in). there would be arguments about illinois, minnesota, and wisconsin, too. oh, right, and there's UCLA, too, but i think that depends a lot more on what you're into. virginia is also pretty good. oh, and washington. uh, actually, yeah, i don't know about top 5 for rutgers unless you have a specific interest where it beats out berkeley, michigan, UCLA, washington, texas, wisconsin...

yeah, rutgers is a fun school... by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 10:42:53 PM EST

Fuck by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #9 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 02:46:54 PM EST
Fuck Christy.

Fuck the GOP.

Fuck Zukerburg. Oh, and fuck Facebook.

None of these things are good for America, kindness, decency or morality.  So fuck them all.

Oh, and all this "but the Democrats are the same" spineless apologetic bullshit, fuck that too.  I don't see Democrats trying to fuck the poor and middle class at every turn.  Anybody who just throws up their hands and says "but they are ALL bad" is acting like an idiot child  who doesn't want to make anyone angry by picking sides.

To conclude FUCK FUCK FUCK anything Republican or even vaguely related to them.

"So I will be hitting the snatch hard, I think, tonight." - gzt
fuck those fucking fucks! by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 10:39:39 PM EST

He's probably an internet libertarian by theboz (4.00 / 2) #12 Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 04:54:38 PM EST
The tech world is full of these, "who needs society I do everything myself and only care about money" types.  They fit in well with the anti-civilization GOP.
- - - - -
Libertarians are not against society per-se. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 11:41:04 AM EST
They just object to the coercive nature of it.

I'm fine with a system where wealth is redistributed, just so long as you don't force me to join your wealth redistribution scheme with the threat of imprisonment. If I believe it benefits me in some way shape or form, I would happily join in. But if your argument amounts to 'do what I say or I will lock you up', you have a lot more convincing to do.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

What about ... by lm (4.00 / 1) #19 Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 06:24:27 PM EST
... if you're going to live here, you have to play by these rules and one of those rules is that you get locked up if you do not do X?

If you don't like this agreement, feel free to go somewhere where you do not have to live by these rules.

Cicero, The Republic
How is that equitable? by dmg (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 06:52:51 PM EST
Where will I go? All I'm asking is for people to stop bullying me into giving them my earnings. Is that such a bad thing?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
That agreement lets you do exactly that by lm (4.00 / 1) #21 Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:14:59 PM EST
If you want to be left alone, go find some space where there is no such agreement.

But if you're going to live in an area that is already settled which already has a social contract in place, then you need to play by the rules.

No one is bullying you. Either you agree to play by the rules or you don't.

Cicero, The Republic
I don't see why I have to move. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 08:00:44 AM EST
From a moral perspective it seems wrong. I understand that pragmatically I have no choice but to submit like a good slave.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
You don't have to move by lm (4.00 / 1) #23 Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 04:34:49 PM EST
... but if you stay you have to abide by the rules.

The rules were there before you arrived on the scene. It's not like they sprang them on you all of a sudden.

Cicero, The Republic
Suppose the rules said that they could by dmg (2.00 / 0) #24 Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 07:00:52 PM EST
waterboard  me too. I know they are "the rules" I'm just saying they lack legitimacy,
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
They lack legitimacy on what grounds? by lm (2.00 / 0) #25 Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 08:56:45 PM EST
Okay, say Mr. X walked into Ms. Y's home. Ms. Y says to Mr. X, you can stay for as long you agree to my rules including the rules about breaking the rules which include various sorts of physical punishments as retribution for breaking the rules. However, you are free at any time to leave prior to breaking any rules and if you leave the rules will no longer apply to you. But if you stay and break the rules, you cannot then leave until such time as you have been punished for breaking the rules. After receiving such punishments, you will be free to leave until such time as you break the rules again.

Under what conditions would Ms. Y's rules not be legitimate?

Cicero, The Republic
wow, Ms. Y is a bitch. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #26 Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 09:37:39 PM EST

anarchist [nt] by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #27 Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 11:11:06 PM EST

she better wait 'til she's Mrs. X by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 12:08:57 AM EST
before she starts talkin' that smack.

or at least Ms. Y-X.

But it isn't Ms Y's home. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #29 Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 08:32:26 AM EST
That's the point.

I didn't walk into someone else's home. When I was born a gang of people I don't know came up and said 'you're in our club whether you like it or not, and by the way we will take 50% of your earnings over your whole life. By the way, you have no choice in this matter, and if you disagree, we will use force against you to make you comply'.

As you may be able to tell, filling in my tax return is making me VERY bitter about this.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

Close, but not quite by lm (4.00 / 1) #31 Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 08:44:13 AM EST
``When I was born a gang of people I don't know came up and said 'you're in our club whether you like it or not''

No, you were born into an area that had been under someone else's control for millennia.

Conceptually speaking there is no difference in kind between you being born in some state and you walking into Ms. Y's house. In both cases, you've randomly entered a place where there are operative rules.

I don't know what the rules are in the UK but if they're anywhere close to the rules in the US, you can leave anytime you want. So it isn't like you're being forced to abide by the rules.

Cicero, The Republic
it's not going to work by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #32 Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 09:52:14 AM EST
dmg's property is different from everyone else's, it's his natural right. It came into existence entirely through his effort, and independently of the coercive state which seeks to violate it.

Actually no. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #33 Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 08:07:47 AM EST
It's the same as everyone else's who is not a slave or bonded labourer.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Also by dmg (2.00 / 0) #34 Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 08:09:51 AM EST
Check out chapter 5. Some 'controversial' ideas in there.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.