Print Story haberdashery, motherly superstitions
Fishies
By gzt (Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 10:44:46 AM EST) gzt, gas, planet of fire, peri, fan death, crossfit, inauguration (all tags)
A propos some recent conversation, Ken Jennings recently wrote a book about motherly superstitions (incl. fan death). Article here: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/foreigners/2013/01/fan_death_korean_moms_think_that_your_electric_fan_will_kill_you.html

Scalia apparently got a cool hat for the inauguration, a replica of Sir Thomas More's hat. Way cool.

Listened to the inauguration speech. Sounds like a second term speech, but it also sounds like the guy that was expected in 2008. I appreciated the acknowledgement, finally, of climate change and the impact it will have on our children (much more important than the debt).

LOLCROSSFIT: http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/549811_375683419195073_1596327434_n.jpg

Interesting: http://www.wired.com/business/2013/01/two-toe-shoes I think I'll stick with the fivefingers. Speaking of which, mine are getting beaten up, I might have to replace them. Sigh. I've had them since '08, though.

Today I have office hours for the first time. I don't think anybody will show up.

We just watched Planet of Fire. We hate the American accent and probably the outfits. That will probably be the last TV outside of weekends for a while. Next up, though, will be Caves of Androzani.

I still can't find my phone.

According to the gas bill, I used 1.8 therms per day and the average outside temperature was 22F. Last year's inhabitants over the same period used 3.1 therms and the average outside temperature was 32F.

< 10:26 | New pussy >
haberdashery, motherly superstitions | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
What the hell? by barooo (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 11:50:26 AM EST
is going on in the @fit picture?

I heard from one of the guys that used to work here that his football coach made them do "asymmetric squats" where you load up a squat with extra weight on one side, which sounded foolhardy and dangerous but whatever those people are doing looks even dumber.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Heh by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 01:50:23 PM EST
I've always thought the most fun part of weight lifting looked like the part where you finish and get to drop it and watch it bounce...

there used to be a video, apparently by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 02:26:27 PM EST
some sort of "pairs doing thrusters with a woman hanging from the middle of the bar" workout.

eh, fan death is pretty much like SIDS by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 12:08:20 PM EST
one of these things where a weak correlation involving habits of poor people morphs into something dangerous that can happen to anyone. the worst superstitions happen when health studies meet the press.

in graduate school i once went an entire winter using zero gas for heating. i didn't realize the pilot light for my heater was out, i figured it just sucked. it was a cold winter too.

i suppose the climate wasn't so bad, was it? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 02:36:13 PM EST
or an apartment? this is a house, so can't do that here, with an average temperature of 22F the pipes would freeze.

i lived in an apartment. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 03:24:40 PM EST
so yeah, no worries about pipes freezing. but it was plenty cold.

crossfit by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 03:27:52 PM EST
on top of the silly, they're probably paying $50 for that session.

it's actually a competition! by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 04:25:31 PM EST
I'd guess the entry fees were more, in fact!