Print Story 10:26
By iGrrrl (Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 10:40:22 AM EST) (all tags)
Mustang Sally has an emotional arc. Who knew?

I've started singing again with a band made up of us 50 somethings and doing cover tunes. It's a multi-lead singer kind of thing, and at this point they're doing "somethinggoodthatweknow". J had been playing with them for a while until they fired the singer that never showed up. The drummer can sing, and he brought in a former band mate, and etc., and Joel offered them me. I came in the first night to some quite understandable skepticism.

Then I sang Angel from Montgomery.

Shall we say they were pleasantly surprised.

They had also been ready to do Bring it on Home, so we did, and the drummer jumped right in on the tight harmony, much to my delight. Now what? Well, because all cover bands play Mustang Sally, they knew it, had a set of lyrics, and we went for it. Sung correctly, Mustang Sally can have an emotional arc. Of course, who is to say what is correct w/r/t a sing-along bar band song? It was fun, and I've rehearsed with them a few times, and we came up with a new opening to Feelin' Alright, an acapella harmony, and all in all, it's fun so far. They want to do Give me One Reason to Stay Here, the Tracy Chapman song, which I have never liked, but what the heck. I'm going to practice being agreeable, and maybe it will be as fun to sing as Mustang Sally.

Now I need to bring in a few songs. They're looking for bluesy type stuff. Any suggestions?

10:35

< fiddling with fedora 18 on my day off | haberdashery, motherly superstitions >
10:26 | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
California Uber Alles. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 10:44:44 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Well, If we're going to do that by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 12:54:16 PM EST
I should just pull out the Ramones catalog.

Actually, I think I'll bring in Etta James's "Don't You Start Me Talking", because I liked the New York Dolls' version.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Do some Primus. by mrgoat (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 02:35:25 PM EST
But then, I always say that.

--top hat--
Yes, you do. by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 03:00:23 PM EST
But I don't know if we're up for that, and they don't hold up as well as King Crimson.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

True, they don't. by mrgoat (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 04:41:21 PM EST
It's like a tick with me though, someone's all "what should we cover?" and my mouth (or in this case, fingers) just blurts out "Primus!"

Who, admittedly, suck.

--top hat--

South of Heaven. by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 03:40:20 PM EST

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

I'm a Muddy Waters fan. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 01:18:28 PM EST
How about Garbage Man.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Heh. by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 02:14:23 PM EST
I used to like to do those kinds of songs and not flip the genders.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

10:26 | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback