Print Story fiddling with fedora 18 on my day off
Boredom
By gzt (Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 02:08:29 PM EST) gzt, manon des sources, jean de florette, fedora, ready for the desktop, gcc (all tags)
I had trouble getting gcc to work right - I think I accidentally installed a package that broke it. So I reinstalled the whole thing. why fedora? because I just couldn't get ubuntu or mint to work at all. The installer kept failing. Fedora, however, got the job done very well.

I think I'm giving up on the default GNOME 3.6 already - there are a few things that are just too annoying to cope with. Trying Cinnamon, I like it.

Seems to have the couple things I thought were okay with GNOME and the things that I like about "traditional" stuff. One thing that was really pissing me off is that there wasn't an easy mouse-driven way to switch workspaces and they were trying to make it a mouse-driven thing.

Annoyances: the rhythmbox music player thing crashes any time i try to do anything. Annoying.

But at least I have R, R Studio, emacs, ESS all working.

The President mentioned climate change in his address. He also wore a blue tie.

It's rather cold today.

We're almost through Peter Davison's run in my "let's watch the greatest hits" thing for Doctor Who. I might be able to watch Doctor Who tonight, but, after this, I'll have almost no time for this. Things are picking up, workwise.

We just watched Manon des Sources yesterday. We watched Jean de Florette last week. They are pretty great. Sort of like a Greek tragedy set in the mid-20th century. Highly recommend. But note: it kind of gets off to a slow start because you have good reason to hate everybody at first.

I don't know where my phone is. I know I last had it Saturday afternoon after getting back from the gym, so it's either at home, in the car, or at the grocery store. I couldn't hear it vibrating at home, so I'll presume it's in the car. It's a cheap phone, so if it did get left at the grocery store, it'll make it to the lost and found.

< Weekend Update | 10:26 >
fiddling with fedora 18 on my day off | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Odd. by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 03:52:33 PM EST
The last (only?) time I got any OS from Red Hat to boot was 1998. I think they monkey with fdisk and refuse to install on any partition table made with anything else. Somewhat surprising that Ubuntu and Mint failed, are you using something like RAID that the installer doesn't like (Ubuntu also can install off the debian installer with the "alternate" discs)?

The apt-get side of things:
1. Ubuntu: Includes defective GUI and spyware. No longer default linux desktop.
2. Mint: Installer can't handle (software) RAID setups.
3. Debian (testing): hates proprietary GPU drivers, throws hissy fit. All documentation assumes that anybody who needs documentation should stick to a 5 year old stable copy.

Wumpus

No, nothing too out of the ordinary by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 05:05:48 PM EST
Two hard drives, want one windows partition on each because one has all my programs and the other has all my data. nothing complicated about that. I was getting "errno 5": http://askubuntu.com/questions/65830/errno-5-input-output-error-when-trying-to-install and tried just about everything people have recommended between 2007 and now for ubuntu, mint, and xubuntu on dvd media and USB. then i said screw it and went for fedora, worked right the first time. well, kind of, I guess I munged up gcc stuff the first time, but it was so fast to install it didn't matter too much.

I don't know what it is.. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 06:07:43 PM EST
....but rhythmbox can't run for more than 15 minutes with crashing. i need to figure out what works better. doesn't need to be great, just needs to play an entire album without crashing and also download podcasts.

i recently tried mint on a laptop. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 06:11:57 PM EST
i think it got virus'd or sth, but in any case, hard drive or filesystem is broken in such a way that windows no longer boots. anyway, i put mint on there and mint won't detect the wireless card, so i have a paper weight of about the size and shape of a piece of paper. remind me why people use this shit?

lame by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 10:30:14 PM EST
i was surprised when i tried a live CD on my old laptop - i gave up lunix a while ago partly because this cheap old laptop of mine couldn't get wireless to work. but, voila, wireless worked out of the box.

why people use this: compiling C is easy? and if the hardware works, some programs don't crash as much as some windows programs sometimes. but, really, i'm glad the wireless works on the laptop, because that means once windows gets far too slow on it, we can put some lightweight lunix on it and still have it be useful for something i guess.

key word is 'old.' by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:09:32 PM EST
my laptop isn't old, it's just virus addled. my theory is it takes linux between five and ten years to correctly support any given piece of hardware. in looking through the mint website i came across a page about proprietary drivers and their free software philosophy, the upshot of which seems to me to be that they consider it unethical to furnish me with an installation cd whose use results in a working computer, so i guess they have some kind of excuse.

i wouldn't say my experience with linux is that programs that do moderately complex things that one might expect to result in occasional crashes do so less often than similar ones on windows. i'd say my experience with linux has been dominated by mind bendingly poor design choices -- for example, and i'm not sure this is still the case in mint, since i've never seen it work with wireless at all, but from what i understand from the forums i wasted several hours reading so that i could perhaps get my wireless working (ha!) it used to be that the wireless connection application mint ships with did not provide an interface for searching for wireless networks, but would instead find one at installation time and assume from then on that's all you'd ever use. i was somewhat skeptical that such a thing could even be possible, but more than one poster seemed to believe it was true at the time. imagine that, though. could it be that someone who has never used wireless interweb before was put up to the task of designing an application for connecting to it?

that could be it by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:18:05 PM EST
the thing was, my wireless thing was a cheap off brand whatever and i saw that more recent ones had lunix support, so i thought they'd never get around to making a compatible driver. as for mint, all i can say is that it worked with my laptop.

but, yeah, sometimes you wonder whether these people have, like, ever used anything that actually works before or whether they think it's normal to always pull through in parking lots because your truck can't go in reverse.

Manon and Jean by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 06:36:00 PM EST
Saw those in high school French class, stil one of my favorite foreign films.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
I run those looney distros in vmware by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 08:11:18 AM EST
on my Mac. They all install and run fine. As does Win7.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)