Print Story New building, new phone, new roof, new NYE tradition,
Working life
By georgeha (Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 01:14:47 PM EST) Lego, beer, Pratchett, Who, carc (all tags)
new Tolkien fan, new beer, new trophy, new companion and other new stuff since I last diarized.

Poll: Biggest surprise in An Unexpected Journey?

It's been almost three months since I last diarized, I guess it's time for the quarterly update. Most of the family is back to work/school, except for eleven_year_old.

While I'm still very busy, I can't do as much today. We moved to a new building, our network connectivity is still intermittent for some of our file servers, and our printers are spread across the campus, or are in transit.

The pros of the move are I'm slightly closer to home (by a few hundred meters), most of the members of our new organization will be in the new building, I'll no longer be reminded of former cow-orkers by walking by their cubes and we have an ice cream vending machine.

The cons are it's hard to support printers without easy physical access to them, and it's hard to investigate problems without access to the logs.

It was a significant year for eleven_year_old. She now has a mobile, it was her biggest Christmas request so we got her a cheap standard slider with QWERTY keyboard. She's still not getting the teenage girl thing, it's rarely within her reach, and she doesn't read texts for days. The new girl on her Lego team got one too, I suspect quite a few other sixth grader's got one.

Speaking of the Lego team, her team got a trophy for best programming at the Finger Lakes championship meet. They were also in the running for best teamwork, but the judges didn't want to award two trophies to them. If you want to see the Lego Robotics meet, there's five videos on youtube, search under efamily215. She might have a flare for programming, she asked me to get a Mindstorms NXT so she could learn to program better. I'd better sell a lot on ebay.

In final eleven_year_old news, she's become quite a Tolkien fan. She's seen An Unexpected Journey twice now, read The Hobbit in one day, finisher The Lord of the Rings and felt the familiar sense of loss when it was done, all over break. Our New Year's Eve was spent watching the end of Fellowship, all of the Two Towers, and most of Return.

Yes, a new New Year's Eve tradition. Porsche_mom was too tired to host her annual party, so we stayed home and sixteen_year_old went to a Quidditch team NYE party. From what she's told us, it was far more wholesome than any NYE party I went to at her age. We stayed home and ate, drank, watched LOTR and discovered the youngest cat really, really likes shrimp.

Holy Radagast on a rabbit sled!

Yeah, I took the girls to see An Unexpected Journey soon after it opened. I liked it, though I kept telling myself it's an adaption of a book, filtered through Jackson's vision. The rabbit sled was a bit much, and the roots of the trouble between the wood elves and Thorin's folk were not due to the lack of help dealing with the dragon. The troll scene could have been closer to the book too, what's wrong with Bilbo getting the key?

In other geeky media, we watched the Doctor Who Christmas special, the first time I've watched one when it premiered in America. Thumbs up to Jenna Louise-Coleman, though the plot resolution was underwhelming. I followed that up with The Runaway Bride which was very good.

In other new news, the garage roof is done, the gutters and cleanup aren't. I have a modified batch of honey lager going in the basement, I didn't have enough Cascade hops so I used some Columbus. For whatever reason it's very aggressively fermenting.

I do worry, I didn't have enough malt and the closest and quickest place for me to some was a combination homebrew/home growing place. I should keep the receipt in case the Feds come after me, honest, I only wanted malt!

Finally, I read Pratchett's Nation recently, sixteen_year_old bought it. It was good, if not discworld. She did get a few new discworld books for Christmas, I can borrow them when I need do destress.

We did get some gaming done over break, we've played four games of Carc, three of classic Carcassonne with pigs, builders, the river and Cathedrals, and one of Hunters & Gatherers. I've only won once. I also got another win in Civ III, using the Space Race as the Americans on Regent level.

< Cyclical Ritual | 2013 a new beginning......??? >
New building, new phone, new roof, new NYE tradition, | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
LO and I stayed home too on NYE by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 01:24:41 PM EST
We could have gone into Philly to my second cousin's place but I figured a 14 year old would have gone nuts hanging out with 7 kids under the age of 5. Also, I would have gone nuts too.

We expected LO's bf to come over and I even went to Wegmans to get beer (for me) and junkfood, but his parents "designed" some plan of having him "watch the dog" when they went to a family member's to watch the ball drop. So, LO's bf bribed his much older sister into letting LO come over for an hour. LO told me the plan knowing that she was violating our "there needs to be parents there" deal and promised to text me updating on their activities. She texted, they sat on the couch and LO came home earlier than planned, worried that his parents would indeed come home early. She then videochatted with him for the next few hours and we all "watched" the ball drop together.

oh yeah, there was facetiming by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 01:35:22 PM EST
this summer eleven_year_old and her eleven_year_old cousin figured out how to facetime using the Aunt's iphone and a newer ipod touch.

They got to see each other's tree and presents remotely.

Eleven_year_old got a Northface fleece for Christmas, and now sixteen_year_old complains she dresses like a suburban chick, in her Northface, Uggs and sweat pants. Sixteen_year_old will not wear sweats out of the house.

Don't you want to be a team player? by dmg (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 05:55:02 PM EST
it's hard to investigate problems without access to the logs.

Surely you can call up a "low cost" resource in another time zone, and painfully explain to them how to locate the logs, and get them to read their contents to you in a thick subcontinental english accent? That would be the cheapest shareholder value adding way to proceed no?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

It was probably the low cost resource by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 11:47:12 AM EST
who didn't activate the drop and update NIS in the first place.

Its easy to point the finger. by dmg (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 08:27:19 PM EST
what are YOU doing to improve the situation? All I'm seeing here is a negative attitude.......
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

UNLEASH THE BALR^^^SILMARILLION by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 12:27:53 AM EST
BREAK HER SPIRIT

You can't handle my complete attention.

I would need a new copy by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 11:08:20 AM EST
she's already annoyed at how raggedy my 30+ year old Hobbit paperback is.

6th grade... by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 08:04:38 AM EST
So after mid-June you will no longer care what the local school board does to the local grade schools.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

To a degree by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 09:32:06 AM EST
but the elementary school is a charter school, so it's more independent from the local board. I will care as I still know lots of kids going there, including siblings of the girls friends.