Print Story Charlie Foxtrot
Boredom
By wiredog (Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 10:49:12 AM EST) (all tags)
The polite (or on the radio) way of saying "clusterfuck".

So last year my old job ran out of things for me to do, so I found a new job. They even wanted me to start right away! Fortunately the situation with the old job allowed me to spend my last two weeks there on vacation, leading me to getting paid for two jobs at once.

So I'm working for a subcontractor, to a subcontractor, to the prime contractor, on a military medical contract. Building a military and veterans medical records system which will have a mobile aspect. Except. Two weeks into the year and they still can't seem to acquire the software I need to actually write the code. No TFS access, no Visual Studio, no MSDN. The government is supposed to pay for all that, but somehow it isn't getting bought. This is a DoD contract. So now you know why the US Military is so damn expensive...

Very boring here.

I could get just as much not-work done at home as here. Just sayin'.

Yes, not enough work to do at work is a quality problem...

And, hey, it's not "SitRep: Delta Sierra"

The US is losing more military personnel to suicide than to enemy action. Meanwhile there's a crisis in retention, which apparently dates back to last century.
Link O Rama:

Profiling!

There's more than one way to get a head.

Time for a benefit concert involving, at a minimum, Bono and George Clooney.

There is no discernible difference between hog rectums and calamari.

< A Sunday meditation | I think you might do something better with the time >
Charlie Foxtrot | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
If the debt limit shenanigans continue by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 11:31:03 AM EST
you won't even get paid for not working.

Surely you can do some prep work, like make lots of flowcharts by hand?

Twice a day I orbit the office by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 11:47:15 AM EST
so that everyone can see me, and I ask if there's anything I can do.

Kind of like an existentialist play.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Do you need some old O-Reilly books by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 12:05:44 PM EST
I figure you can hollow them out and stick a Gameboy or DS inside, so it looks like you're studying.

I'm sorry, but... by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 01:02:15 PM EST
I doubt I'll ever say, "It's never too early for porcine duodeni!"

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Suicide stats by Herring (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 05:33:19 PM EST
Well, looking on the bright side, it shows that the US armed forces are more effective than the Taliban - at killing US armed forces.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
G. Gordon Liddy used to always say `goatscrew' by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 06:38:48 PM EST
... which he claimed was the Navy term for clusterfuck.

But what I've seen more often is just omitting the ((spoiler fuck) and saying `cluster.' I first saw that at my last gig in Ohio where it was a favorite term of the owner of the company. Just a day or two ago, Mika Brzezinski used it on Morning Joe.

Cicero, The Republic
What does Delta Sierra mean to you? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 08:21:28 PM EST
I think it means something else in my branch.

Deep by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 08:45:41 AM EST
Shit. As in "We are in ".

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Ah. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 08:59:59 AM EST
I've always known it as radio shorthand for Desk/Drill Sergeant.

Mobile Records by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 07:37:46 AM EST
I'm surprised by that given what we're going through in building out systems to support the insurance end.  Even test data is secure.

---------------
Has to be usable in the field by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 08:47:49 AM EST
Where you don't have a full on hospital structure. An iPad, or toughbook, or maybe just an Android phone, may be the best solution. And it's not that hard to use certs to set up a secure enough link.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Company security by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 12:01:27 PM EST

Could be our company security going a bit overboard too.  They do that.

---------------
toughbook is the past by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 06:36:12 PM EST
Toughpad is the future!

But what if you have a full on hospital structure by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 10:23:20 AM EST
where wifi isn't allowed? Or have they changed that.

Wumpus

Then you're wired. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 10:43:37 AM EST
The app shouldn't give a damn about the underlying network technology.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

You can wire an ipad or android <No baseT>? by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 10:28:17 AM EST

In a hospital by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 05:45:55 PM EST
They will be using real computers.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

if we're meeting up in PHL on PRESDAY by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 08:41:45 AM EST
will you make it? :)
Yes by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 01:31:06 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Charlie Foxtrot | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback