Print Story Sales people
By jayhawk88 (Wed Sep 05, 2012 at 04:39:31 PM EST) (all tags)
It should be legal to hunt them for sport.

From: me
To: Weasel Laptop Sales Guy

I need to know if you can get me Laptop Model X, seen in this CDW link for $421, for under $400 under our state contract. Or, can you give me another laptop model that is under $400 that has 4 gig of RAM and Windows 7 Pro x64? I understand this may not be possible, but we have a customer who has a specific price point in mind, and are doing our due diligence in determining if we can find a laptop that meets his price while also meeting our management needs (read: 7 Home can't join a domain).

From: Weasel Laptop Sales Guy
To: Me

Do you have time that I could call you and discuss this? I have a few things to discuss with you about available machines and options?

No you don't. You and I know damn well that I'm not going to be able to find a laptop that comes with 4 gig of RAM and Win7 Pro x64 for under $400, that's the whole point of this email. I'm trying to prove to my customer that $421 is already the rock bottom price and he just needs to quit being a whiny bitch and get whomever has the purse strings to cough up an extra $21+tax, or stop wasting my time. We both know damn well that the state contract isn't going to get me a 5% discount on a couple of sub-$500 laptops; hell if anything it's going to add 5%. Even if you did have such a beast, you would just email me a quote and be done with me, because again, a couple of sub $400 laptops is barely worth your time.

But no, you think you can call me up and slip me some of the old silver tongue and somehow magically convince me that HEY!...what I really should be recommending is this $1200 model that has built-in wireless gigahertz and top-of-the-line RAMbytes and such. Because I'm a complete fucking idiot who gets all confused whenever I walk into a Best Buy, and I don't know that it's a bad idea for a medical environment to be buying the dirtiest, cheapest laptop they can find.

< Blood against blood, self against self | Every morning >
Sales people | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Why should by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Sep 06, 2012 at 01:58:31 AM EST
Weasel Sales guy make any effort when there's nothing in it for them?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
That's a short term view by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 09:16:47 AM EST
A good sales agent would have done their best to come close to the price and displayed competency and a thorough knowledge while doing so and, perhaps, adding on the attempt at upselling at the end or at least giving a pitch about superior service than at a big box or mail order place or the like.

Do that well enough and when it comes to order the expensive machines, the buyers look for the card of that sales guy.

Cicero, The Republic
Good salespeople qualify their customers by dmg (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 11:34:43 AM EST
Sometimes they get it wrong, but not often.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
perhaps, but that's neither here nor there by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 05:56:49 PM EST

Cicero, The Republic
Seems very pertinent to me. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 10:31:46 PM EST
Am I missing something?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
It does seems like you are missing something by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 08:22:46 AM EST

Cicero, The Republic
Bear in mind I am husi's most by dmg (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 09:01:44 PM EST
dimwitted user.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
What, you can't get him to buy you lunch by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Sep 06, 2012 at 06:57:40 AM EST
while he's trying to upsell you?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

True stories by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Sep 06, 2012 at 01:47:56 PM EST
We're not allowed, by law, to let vendors buy us lunch and/or dinner. You know, because when you're making a decision about a $20,000 piece of software, you might be unduly swayed by a $20 steak dinner.

We do AV support for several different conferences the school sponsors during the year, which attract medical vendors like shit attracts flies, and of course at the end of the day the vendors are looking to unload all their freebie pens/notepads/frisbees/whatever just so they have less stuff to take back with them. Used to be any techs who were working the conference would load up on this stuff and bring all the "swag" home, but they put a stop to that as well.

If you take a training class, you're not allowed to accept any freebie offers the class might offer, like "Free iPad" or XBox or whatever. This I actually get, but beyond that, you can't accept any meals the training class might offer, unless the meals are being provided as part of the training and is specifically mentioned in the course description. So if you go to a training place that likes to do a BBQ or order pizza for their classes on like Thursday...nope. Presumably they don't care about the free cookies/brownies some places give you for a mid-day snack.

But hey, it's still OK for drug companies to show up at a clinic every week with enough BBQ or Italian to feed 50 docs and residents, while they tell them all how great Braxamilon is for curing things.

Wait by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Sep 06, 2012 at 01:52:37 PM EST
I thought it was no longer allowed for drug companies to provide doctors pens and notepads and crap either.  They are still allowed to provide transportation, food and lodging to bring them to training seminars however - even when holding said seminars in Maui.

Financial Conflict of Interest by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Sep 06, 2012 at 01:59:54 PM EST
As an institution who receives a lot of money from NIH and other DHHS agencies, my university has had to deal with recent policy changes in conflict of interest. For people who receive extramural funding, the university has to have a policy that requires people to report when they get travel reimbursements for anything relevant to their university jobs (speaking engagements, etc.), unless it's paid for by the government or another university. If there's a conflict of interest like that, there has to be a "management plan" to mitigate the effects of the conflict, and the chair of the department (or the dean or some other official) has to be involved in this plan.

It's all really complicated, and I don't know how all these things apply to doctors in private practice, but it's actually causing some amount of panic among some of the faculty here.

Sales people | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback