Print Story General Update
Cycling
By riceowlguy (Wed Sep 12, 2012 at 08:23:32 AM EST) (all tags)
reporting for duty, sir.

Lots of things going on lately.

Biggest news is that I finally got through my private pilot (airplane, single engine, land) certification at the very end of August, so that is a relief.  I've only gone flying once since passing; I took MSO up to the closest airport with a restaurant (and a pretty good one, too, although their website is horrible: http://www.southernflyer.com) last Sunday morning.  The weather was pretty awesome as the first cool front of the season had just passed through, but it was still pretty bumpy on the ride back which she did not enjoy.  Traveling places by small airplane together is probably not in our future since she had to take Dramamine before the flight and even though it was the "less drowsy" formula she still passed out after we landed back in Houston and had to nap for a couple hours that afternoon, so the idea of flying down to Rockport for bird watching for an afternoon doesn't seem like it would work.  Perhaps its for the best as I definitely can't afford to fly as often or as far as I would like to now that I can't justify all the flight time as just part of getting the certificate.

In YOLO news, I ended up buying another bike (my third in less than two years and my second in less than six months, for those keeping score) on Saturday, although it was not that crazy as it only cost $225.  A used single-speed messenger-style bike like all the cool kids are riding these days (although not a true "fixie" as it does have a freewheel - I'm not quite ready to have to brake with my legs, thanks).  Drop bars plus fatter tires equals a solution to my dillema of wanting to train my body for the road bike riding position, but not wanting to bash up my beautiful road bike tires (which I imagine would be rather costly to replace) on Houston city streets, which is where I ride most of the time.  I was already looking at some of the cyclocross bikes I see people riding on some of the group rides I do with interest, so it wasn't totally out of the blue.  Also, this lets me just keep my hybrid at MSO's place so when we want to go riding around her area I'll have a bike there ready to roll, so to speak, although the problem with that idea right now is that her bike has a wonky chain that skips when she has to pedal hard, and I'm not sure when she'll get around to fixing it.  I hope soon because we're entering the window of opportunity for good bike riding around here - not too hot, not too cold.

Now that I'm through primary flight training I really need to refocus on diet and exercise.  Let's look at one year's worth of physicsdiet.com data:

Not good.  Not bad, really, given all that I've had going on, but not what I want to see.  Between this and all my squatting at the gym, my pants are all getting tight again and I really don't want to have to go buy new pants going in the wrong direction again.  Most of it is diet, not exercise, but the likelihood of my being able to sustain weight loss or even maintain a given weight through eating habits alone seems improbable.  Plus, I would much rather exercise a lot and eat normally than have to diet AND sit around being hungry all the time.  Unfortunately, due to my ongoing ankle tendonitis problem, I had to stop playing tennis back in June, so I no longer have that going on, and I also haven't been walking/jogging/running as much, again because of the ankle.  Cardio at the gym gets old fast, but with available daylight for cycling waning, I will have to suck it up and do SOMETHING to burn more calories (unless I figure out how to ride in the mornings before work, something I haven't tried - I figure people in cars are going to be less forgiving about sharing the road at that time of day than at night).  Swimming would probably be the absolute best but I have a hard time getting into that.  The scenery doesn't change AND I can't listen to music.

I've started hosting a regular weekly D&D (4th ed, Dark Sun setting) game at my place.  I'm almost completely brand new to D&D and the guys I'm playing with are all super experienced veterans, but so far it seems to be working out just fine.  Two of the five people are the guys that I lift weights with so we make kind of a bizarre picture standing around the squat rack, talking about murdering people with crossbows and surrounded by confused gym rats.

I'm not participating in any kind of choir or theatre right now and while I miss it somewhat I am really happy right now not to have to worry about practicing music in my free time or conflicts between rehearsals and fun things I'd like to do on the weekends.

That's it for now.  In a few months I should be able to post an update showing the graph going in the right direction again.

< Ah-hmmmmmm | Or let me die, to look on death no more >
General Update | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Diet by theboz (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Sep 12, 2012 at 08:36:13 AM EST
I've lost about 20lbs or more since we were at clock and Stacky's house last year.  The main thing seems to be don't eat bread or fried foods at all.  I get bread-based items like once a week, and the weight basically fell off.  Could you try something like that, or do you need a different dietary measure?
- - - - -
It's a bunch of different things by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 12, 2012 at 08:51:39 AM EST
Yeah, bread.  And alcohol (beer is liquid bread).  And red meat.  And cheese.  And dessert.  Fried I don't have so much of a problem with.

When I started losing weight like crazy, it was after my doctor told me my cholesterol was bad and I needed to fix that.  So I concentrated much more on reducing land animal fats, which had the effect of drastically reducing my daily average caloric intake because cheese and ice cream and half and half were where a lot of my calories were "hiding".  I also started doing tons of cardio because I read that was a way of moving your lipid numbers in the right directions.

Time to get back on the grilled chicken salad wagon and elliptical trainer.

After posting this... by theboz (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 13, 2012 at 09:55:23 PM EST
The past day or two I've been having cramps in my hands and feet.  I drink plenty of water, so I'm assuming that it's due to the lack of potassium, since bananas and avocado are included in the "banned" food list.  So ignore everything I've said, although losing 20lbs since July has been nice, providing I haven't harmed myself to cause the cramps.  Either way, I'm getting a banana tomorrow morning.
- - - - -
I often have major cramping issues by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 10:36:01 AM EST
after long bike rides.  Usually a combination of not rehydrating enough, not stretching enough, and perhaps not replacing enough electrolytes.  They can be truly brutal, as in rolling over in my sleep and then waking up with my leg trying to flex itself off my body brutal.

I really don't think fruit should be banned when trying to put together a long-term eating plan.  I guess in the short term, yes, but I'm pretty sure our primate ancestors evolved to eat meat and fish, nuts, and fruit.  Everything in moderation.

Fruit isn't banned, I eat quite a bit of it by theboz (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 09:46:33 PM EST
The two specific ones that are banned are bananas and avocado.  I'm not quite sure why, but they are high in potassium and I normally would eat both of those fruits.
- - - - -
Avocado are high in fat and by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Sep 16, 2012 at 11:53:22 AM EST
bananas high in starchy carbohydrates.

I'm of the opinion that avocadoes are good food, myself. You need a fat source, and a vegetable one is probably going to be best.

weight by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Sep 12, 2012 at 04:05:50 PM EST
last december i spontaneously (really, i hadn't change a thing, it just happened) got down to my goal weight.  a few weeks later the holidays happened and i quit breastfeeding which meant I could start drinking again.  I did.  I started working on getting stuff under control, but the stress of everything made it hard.  And then I quit exercising completely at the beginning of July due to a combo of lady problems and Porschea couldn't walk any more (insert sniffles here).  Needless to say, the scale has moved in the wrong direction (and the pants don't fit so well, either).  Last week I FINALLY started exercising again.  For now, I'm just walking since these hills really wind me.  I'm hoping in a couple of weeks I'll be able to start jogging again.  I'm also cutting WAY back on alcohol, which I started drinking more than my usual amount of sometime during the homeless period.

I was really happy with how I looked back in December.  I don't think it's unreasonable to get back there.  Now that The Dude has started school again, I can get back into a real schedule.

I'm sure it will help by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Sep 12, 2012 at 07:02:41 PM EST
that it's not stupid hot and you can actually go outside.
---------
with the dog by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Sep 12, 2012 at 08:52:33 PM EST
she had to get walked even when it was stupid hot, we just got up really early to do it.

but yeah, it's nice that i can go out whenever I want, and the kids have REALLY enjoyed hitting the parks (bonus: the parks have been filled with other kids to play with!!!).

I'm still getting up early to exercise.  The double-wide stroller doesn't fit on the sidewalks here (telephone poles and what-not) and walking in the street isn't an option either (these are not lazy suburban streets, they're major roads) so we had to get a crappy single-wide stroller.  Going out with both kids doesn't work so I get up when clock does and run out the door while he's getting dressed and eating breakfast.  It's working well, so far.  Who knows what will happen when winter hits.

similar experience by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Sep 12, 2012 at 07:40:37 PM EST
more alcohol -> more weight

More calories without more activity was not a good idea. I'm cutting back on the alcohol now and my new work location involves more walking by far, so I think I'll get back to where I was last year.

General Update | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback