Print Story so we went to the reunion
Law
By gzt (Mon Aug 06, 2012 at 01:27:04 PM EST) gzt, often, stuff, things, svm, machine learning, moving, knots, reunion, friend opportunity (all tags)
it was good, wife made a couple friends it seems, inadvertantly got job leads for child care (which she wants to get out of and we both agree on that, so I was sort of perplexed at how she was discussing what she did for a living with people, but we got that sorted out later.

QUESTION: is "often" pronounced "offen" or "of-ten"?

So we stayed at our new place. It was not vacuumed and thoroughly cleaned before we got there and we neglected to bring a vacuum. The cat hair got to me. It was terrible.

The place is nice, though.

I'm still a little sniffly.

I am so ready to be done here at work. This one project is not set up for success because of staffing problems and poor delineation of responsibilities.

I think this is somewhat absurd, as marijuana is not a performance-enhancing drug: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/olympics/sns-rt-us-oly-doping-usa-judo-day10bre8750nb-20120806,0,7502817.story

I find Facebook's recent plummet to be unfortunate, as they apparently claim to get 23% of their data center energy from "green" sources and 13% from nuclear. http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-01/facebook-says-23-percent-of-data-center-power-is-green It's not perfect, but it's great progress and I appreciate the openness. Well, c'est la vie.

Romney is speaking Acme Industries? This has to be fake. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-romney-obama-0806-20120806,0,7550364.story

Hurray moving. Going to have to get some rope for it and remember how to tie stuff down. http://www.instructables.com/id/Truckers-Hitch-THE-most-awesome-knot-on-the-plan/

The wifing unit wasn't a big fan of the new church - it had a lot of Greek and it was all Greek to her. It's an odd thing - one of the chanters was quite obviously not a native speaker, there were some Ethiopians, the person in front of me was obviously Romanian, there are probably some Russians, there were a lot of kids and you know none of them speak Greek terribly well if at all, so why all the Greek in the service? The music was different (ie, Greek style rather than Russian style), so even that could not be used as a cue. I've hung out with the Greeks enough and remember enough random words from Attic to be totally fine with that sort of thing, but the wifing unit has pretty much only been in Russian-style churches and is quite monolingual. Anyway, I think it will grow on her as she becomes more acclimated.

I hope vacuuming is sufficient to cure the house of cat hair. It would be inconvenient to move in and then discover we need some kind of deeper cleaning.

Whenever I mention that my boss is still uncertain about whether she is going to be able to fill my position, other people in the department are horrified. It's great. I wonder how my boss's interview today is going. I hope she gets it. The organization will do just fine without us. It will do just fine without me, but it will be somewhat inconvenient for the short time it takes my boss to find a new job if they don't replace me.

I think this is a fantastic photo, but I disagree with the last part of this sentence: "Science makes the world a better place, and it makes us better people." Science has done little for moral development. It's nice that we can all feel good for a moment about the Mars landing, but it's a fleeting moment. A lot of what drives technology is the desire to have more effective ways of killing other people. This is the way it has always been and always will be. I do believe that science has made the world a better place in many ways - no more smallpox, no more Third Reich - but it in no way helps us solve fundamental moral problems. The hubris!

the machine learning final was a little tough - I had to cope with a slight problem in that I had to be done by 9am Friday instead of midnight Friday. Also, some stuff was extremely slow in running - too slow. Well, things worked for the most part, he said I should've used a linear classifier because the non-linear would be too slow (it was). Anyway, that was a fun class, hard work, etc etc.

This. Is. Great. http://io9.com/5932169/the-abbreviation-omg-is-almost-100-years-old

< things and stuff | so my boss got the jorb >
so we went to the reunion | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
SCIENCE! by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 06, 2012 at 03:46:16 PM EST
gotta disagree about science and moral problems. increases in wealth, technology, and human knowledge driven by scientific inquiry both erode traditional evils and alleviate the conditions of poverty that lead to immorality. not only that, they lead to changes in mores that define away much of what had traditionally been called immorality.

in fact by garlic (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Aug 06, 2012 at 06:33:14 PM EST
the same companies using science for war machines are the ones using science to build mars curiosity rovers. Boeing and Lockheed are the major contractors.

what a bunch of illiterate peasants by gzt (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Aug 06, 2012 at 09:35:46 PM EST
really? 2/3 of you think it's "of-ten"? crikey.

WIPO by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 12:41:08 AM EST
Depends on the amount of alcomahol consumed.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Gah by Herring (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 04:11:38 AM EST
Pirates on the brain now.

"Major General Stanley is no orphan. And what's more, he never was one."

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

One of my grandmothers by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 09:04:39 AM EST
who grew up in Arkansas, pronounced the T in often. I wonder if there's a pocket in middle America where that's the standard, on-the-ground dialect.

And I wonder how or if it overlaps the voiceless liquid /wh/ (so that 'which witch' are two differently-pronounced words due to the first consonant). That one is in my idiolect, so I suspect it's more widespread. But toxicfur assures me it's another flyover zone feature of English.

more by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 09:25:43 AM EST
it originated as an example of "hypercorrection", so the poor, less literate and the upper class, wholly literate would say "offen" while the newly-literate and hypercorrecting would say "of-ten". but that's 19th century and in England. I read that of-ten has been rising in usage in the past few decades. in my brand of Iowa flyover English, it was always "offen", but perhaps they're learning to read.

See also by Herring (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 10:12:29 AM EST
Forehead (commonly pronounce now as "four head").

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
There was a little girl... by ana (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 11:08:13 AM EST
who had a little curl
right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
she was very very good,
but when she was bad
she was horrid.

Which suggests that in some dialect at least, "forehead" should rhyme with "horrid".

It does by Herring (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 11:17:59 AM EST
But very rare to hear it pronounced correctly these days.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Sometimes by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 10:16:33 AM EST
Correct is stupid. It is part of ones head, and to the fore.

I had a standup row with a drama teacher once who insisted I should pronounce power as if it only has one syllable, like 'par' but sort of posher. My argument was it may have been correct but it was no longer realistic.

yeah, I grew up with a four - head by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 11:30:18 AM EST
in the South, it's still forrid. I don't think I've encountered a Northerner who says that, though.

I say offen by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 10:54:54 AM EST
If I'm remembering my history of the English language (and later sociolinguistics classes) correctly, off-ten is a hypercorrection in current American English, and the rise of it has to do with literacy. Similarly, as Herring pointed out, 'forehead' is a literacy-based hypercorrection. I grew up saying 'far-id', but when I was working on getting rid of the Southern accent in college, I realized that nobody said it that way. I've said 'four-head' for half my life now, and it's unlikely that I'll return to saying it the way I learned it.
As Pinker points out by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 12:03:10 PM EST
Death by violence is a fraction of what it was back when the killing tools were primitive.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
OTOH by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 01:07:19 AM EST
pollution, global warming, suicide, misery, etc

2 of those 4 by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 02:53:57 PM EST
Are less of an issue now than ever before.  The suicide rate is orders of magnitude lower than the decrease in death rate over the last couple hundred years, and general misery is also much lower than ever before.

Pollution is actually not as bad as fifty years ago.  Global warming I'll give you.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I'm talking pre-civilization/agriculture by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Aug 09, 2012 at 01:00:29 AM EST

me too by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Aug 09, 2012 at 11:54:07 AM EST
Hunter gatherer tribes studied by anthropologies typically see about third of their male population die by violence and a third of their female population die in childbirth.

It is true that the working hours are good, though.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman