Print Story overheard from the kid's bedroom
Family
By clover kicker (Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 11:41:29 AM EST) (all tags)
K1 - "Alright, after these commercials Purple Bear will show you how to roast marshmellows inside a volcano."

K2 - "SKIP SKIP SKIP SKIP SKIP"

K1 - "And we're back. First you have to throw the marshmallows into the volcano...."

So if I've taught them nothing else, at least they know what commercials are good for.
< woo independence | Perdido Street Station >
overheard from the kid's bedroom | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
TV by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 01:19:42 PM EST
I don't watch the TV.  Not because I'm smug, but because it's easier to watch Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.  If it weren't for the kid, we'd have canceled the cable ages ago.  It's been a couple years since an adult used the Tivo.

My son has graduated to yelling "what sort of idiot would buy that crap!?" at the commercials.  I'm so proud...
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

that doesn't count by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 02:04:35 PM EST
You're supposed to say "there's nothing worth watching" and make fun of me for consuming passive content.

Actually there's only 4 shows I consider unmissable, and the odds of finding a watchable 1-off special on History/Discovery/etc these days is zero. I'd be an ideal candidate for ditching the TV and torrenting, But the missus likes to have the TV on while she does paperwork, and obviously the kids watch a fair bit.

incentives by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 03:00:10 PM EST
My wife and I have instituted a "no video unless on the elliptical" rule which has both increased our exercise substantially and increased our desire for mindless action oriented movies/tv over intellectual drama.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
My mom... by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 03:03:19 PM EST
used to threaten us with hooking up the tv to a generator operated by an exercise machine of some kind. Not sure that was practical in the 60s, but it would be now.

Bought a TV licence two weeks ago by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 04:56:14 PM EST
And I just bought a tuner box today. I've not plugged it in yet. I got it because the internet streams of live TV are dire quality, and I wanted to watch news & sport at home.

Confused... by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 06:09:16 PM EST
Were they putting on their own show or were they talking about what to do with the remote?

putting on their own show by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Jul 07, 2012 at 06:31:14 AM EST
Which of course had commercials, which of course got skipped.

Smart kids. Also, Shark Wranglers? by johnny (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jul 08, 2012 at 04:45:06 PM EST
How old are the kids? I love that captured dialog. Wish I had written down more of it when my kids were still children.

I joined a gym here in the NYC barrio where I'm spending July. Most of the teevees in the hamster-wheel-exercise-machine room are tuned to Telemundo or Univision, but today I noticed that Bourne Identity was just staring upon one of the other TVs, so I hopped on an elliptical machine in front of it. Love that movie. Have only seen it 1,943,851 times. But I did watch it halfway through. Something about Franka Potente really gets me going in high gear on those workout machines.

Has anybody seen Shark Wranglers? The series producer, David Newsom, is a friend of mine. He's sent me DVDS of the show because I don't get History Channel, but they haven't shown up yet. Seems like it would be a very HuSi-like show, from what I understand of it.

overheard from the kid's bedroom | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback