Print Story Do people still balance their checkbooks? also: CHIHUSIMEET
Marriage
By gzt (Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 03:23:33 PM EST) gzt, the wire, chihusimeet, stalinism, obamacare, libor, storms, heat wave (all tags)
I asked this the other day when somebody brought it up. I don't. I write so few checks. I look at my bank account info constantly. I use mostly credit cards. So I know what's going on. I suppose if I were writing dozens of checks each month, I would. But who uses checks anymore?

Remember: CHIHUSIMEET on 7/14 chez gzt.

I mean, I write a couple checks for bills each month, but, for the most part, it's all electronic. So, whatevs.

Friggin' hot around here. The big storm on Sunday passed just south of us - we got wind and a little drizzle, but the apocalyptic stuff missed by a mile or two. Friday hit us, though.

CHIHUSIMEET on 7/14 chez gzt. Meet like 1pm or something, low key stuff through evening. PM me for details about location and parking or something. Discuss below for discussion of activities, possible other related events for the Friday or Sunday or whatever.

Finally finishing Jacques le Fataliste. I can definitely see why Kundera likes it so much, not yet sure of my opinion of it.

More about LIBOR, explaining a couple more details I didn't know or think of: http://epicureandealmaker.blogspot.com/2012/07/ready-fire-aim.html The whole LIBOR thing makes banks look bad and fudges with a few individuals' numbers, but, for the most part, doesn't obviously harm anybody. Why? Any bank's next exposure to LIBOR is close to zero, it's mostly used for short-term loans and this was a 5-year problem, and banks will charge interest rates based on actual risk (viz. if LIBOR is artificially low, they'll charge LIBOR + a few extra basis points rather than LIBOR + some basis points (nobody charges LIBOR)).

Honestly, the ACA isn't a great piece of legislation. It's a compromise that nobody truly loves. It's not quite the way I would have done it, but every system has its tradeoffs. You also can't, with a flick of the pen, eliminate a $100B+ industry. I can understand why the Republicans don't like it, but I can't understand some of the rhetoric around it. One author titled an article, "The Republic is Finished and the America We Knew is Gone". He says, "The path of the free West now follows the path of Russia under the Soviets." Wait, what? As I said, there's a lot to dislike about the legislation from either side of the debate, but I missed the creeping Stalinism.

The wife's bosses' move fell through because of something or other with the appraisal or whatever, so the wifing unit might remain employed for a bit, so we might not have her move a week before me. Okay, whatevs.

Rock music time machine: strap on your goggles and grab your guitars. This is going to be the loudest science you've ever heard.

We just finished season 4 of The Wire. It was fairly amazing.

< Stuck | A quote from my granddad >
Do people still balance their checkbooks? also: CHIHUSIMEET | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Checkbooks? WTF are they? by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 03:52:37 PM EST

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Probably a bit like chequebooks... by dmg (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 05:32:31 PM EST

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
WTF are they? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 07:34:54 PM EST
(I don't own one. I think I could ask for one, but I don't know.)

The Republicans don't love the Republican by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 04:44:05 PM EST
alternative to HillaryCare?

For the next triangulation, Obama will update the Militia Act of 1792, requiring each household to own the equivalent of an M-1 semi-automatic rifle.

Republican heads will go asplody trying to figure out how to react.

Militia Act of 1792 by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 04:03:50 PM EST
I would definitely pay to see that.

---------------
if Obama does this before November by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 06:17:21 PM EST
I will vote for him forever

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Me too! by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 03:49:17 PM EST
Perhaps for different reasons.

Checkbooks by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 06:13:00 PM EST
Yes.  I don't do electornic banking.

---------------
I use one... by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 08:33:53 PM EST
but I don't actually balance it. I probably should...

Just balanced it this morning by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 04:02:23 PM EST
It has approximately as much as I expected.  Always a good thing.

---------------
I like the fact that some of the Tea Party nutters by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 04:02:38 AM EST
Are threatening to move to Canada to escape the stalinism of ObamaCare. Just shows their lack of thinking skills...