Print Story Windows
By jayhawk88 (Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 02:49:34 PM EST) (all tags)
Motherfucking, cocksucking, racking-fracking, shit-stained, ass wipe, butt nugget Windows.

I'm hating Server 2008 R2 more every day I use it. It's to the point, right now, that I can't remove a print driver from a terminal server...OH EXCUSE ME...Remote Desktop Service server, because someone at some point used this driver in any fashion. Mind you, all printers are removed, and there is no one logged onto the server. But NO! Server 2008 holds onto it like a child.

"The driver is being used!" wails Server 2008.
"No, it's not, there are no printers installed, I deleted them all"
"But it was used before! What if you need it again!"
"That's the damn point, your print server role sucks, and HP is worse, I have to get all these garbage drivers off here."
"NOOOOO! How can I allow you to delete vital system information?"
"BECAUSE I'M THE FUCKING ADMIN YOU FUCKING STUPID COMPUTER!"
"NO!"

"Hey, Listen", says Google. "You can go into the registry and delete some old entries related to the spooler, because apparently Server 2008 remembers every printer, redirected or otherwise, that has ever connected to it!" Hey that's stupid but great...except it doesn't work. They're all cleaned out, I still can't delete the printers.

"Hey, Listen", says Google. "You can delete a driver if you manage to do it with 1 second of restarting the Print Spooler!" Well isn't that helpful. Now I just have to do this 30 fucking times.

Goddammit Microsoft, WTF? This is the kind of shit I expect from Windows XP, but not your fucking server product. Was print server such a fucking embarrassment that you had to go and completely cock it up? Motherfucker, all I wanted to do is not have to make printer changes to five different terminal servers, but this shit-pile of a Role is making that seem like the attractive choice.

< a birthday party observation | Size matters >
Windows | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)
why ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 04:25:50 PM EST
because someone keeps trying to print to the wrong one ? Otherwise, who cares ?

A number of print drivers are known to by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 05:18:22 PM EST
(a) cause Windows instability or (b) cause certain programs to fail just be being installed.

Cicero, The Republic
The functionality formerly known as by Herring (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 05:10:17 PM EST
"prints".

Sorry.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

RDS Printing is shameful by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 08:13:45 AM EST
"Hi, we've redesigned our remote desktop printing to make it compatible with more printers.  Isn't that great?  Sure, it'll take twenty minutes to print a one-page report over the WAN while our system kidnaps and rapes ten times the bandwidth normally necessary, but now you won't have to worry about printing to shitty off-brand printers you never should have bought in the first place.  What's that?  Windows XP?  Why would we make it work on that? Nobody uses that anymore.  Everyone using virtual desktops will naturally be using the latest version of Windows on their clients."

I can't figure out whom to hate more by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 08:49:28 AM EST
Microsoft or HP? It almost seems like they're in league with each other, working together at the behest of Al Gore to make printing as difficult as possible.

If you read a weird story on Reddit in a couple of days about a fat Kansas man who inexplicably went Falling Down and started destroying every printer he came across, just go ahead and remove me from your G+ circles.

good lord HP is infinitely worse by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 03:00:04 PM EST
As much as I hate microsoft their software has (on average) undeniably improved over the last 15 years. HP printer drivers hit bottom years ago and are currently digging for China.

Have you seen Win8/Office15? by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 04:56:17 PM EST
"Tablet and phone-style touchscreens are the wave of the future!"

"But some of us still like to use desktops, and Metro..."

"THEY ARE THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE AND YOU WILL SUBMIT TO THEIR WILL!"

I've been avoiding Win8 by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 08:11:15 PM EST
I'm hoping it will be a Vista scale flop and there'll be a decent version following hard on it's heels.

Although what I've seen looks enough like Windows 3.1 that I'm sure I'd be able to adapt :P

Completely unfair. by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 11:56:53 PM EST
How could you possibly compare HP of 1998 with MS of 1998? HP was just starting to collapse (start not apparent until 1999 and Fiorina, although presumably the board of directors responsible was already in place. Microsoft was reaching for the height of "100% is the correct market share" hubris, although that would change drastically with the anti-trust fight and retirement of Gates.

HP was near the top (not so sure about software, which by then was 90% of their business). MS was near the bottom in everything but marketing. Small gains by MS look not so hot compared to their present standstill marketing.

Wumpus

I wasn't thinking about market share by clover kicker (4.00 / 0) #14 Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 07:22:28 AM EST
If technical competency was worth anything in the marketplace I'd still be able to find a job adminning Novell servers.

I'm thinking about W2K, which was far more solid then NT4, may those developers rot in hell.

XP was a vastly improved consumer desktop platform.

There have been some regressions since, but remember how truly shitty NT4 was as a server platform, and how flakey Win95/98 was.

The rant that started this conversation would not have been remarkable in the NT4 days, every single fucking part of the system behaved exactly like this.

No, XP wouldn't have fucked you like that. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 09:22:28 PM EST

Windows | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)