Print Story seriously, it's nap time
Toys
By gzt (Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 06:10:47 PM EST) gzt, quitting, quitting soon, politics, charisma (all tags)
I've been battling against nodding off for the last 15 minutes. This doesn't happen often, but today it's in full force. Not sure what is triggering it. Well, fatigue, sure. But why?

I slept until 6 this morning and yesterday. This is progress. It's better than 5. So I'm not sure what's up.

The drought has become quite bad, apparently. Food prices will spike, cats will live with dogs, etc. When you look at the list of top droughts, note how many of those were in the 1930s. Ouch.

I'm skipping the gym because of the heat today. Bah. 100 again.

I reserved a truck and ordered some packing materials for our move.

I was going to quit, but I'm a little behind on something we all wanted done for tomorrow, so I don't want to say, "I'm quitting. And I'm not going to have this done tomorrow."

The head of my national church resigned last week at the unanimous request of the Synod of Bishops. There was rampant speculation all week about it because not much was said about the reasons beyond that sentence. Yesterday, the Synod released a fairly detailed letter saying it was because, among other things, the guy didn't follow the policies and procedures for dealing with a clerical sexual misconduct case (a priest accused of rape). Rather unfortunate. Surprisingly, the man still has some tragically vocal defenders who don't think the letter gave enough details and proof for them to abandon him. Of course, the letter was not supposed to prove anything, it was supposed to communicate the minimum necessary information to let the faithful know what happened and why and to quiet the endless rumor-mongering implying it was all about, for instance, conservative vs. liberal politics or whatever. It's rather tragic. There's a lesson there, too: whenever you have a choice in a conflict between a charismatic leader and a seemingly boring bureaucracy which he has seemingly run afoul of, it's probably better to go with the bureaucracy.

According to isidewith.com, I agree most with Jill Stein. The Green Party? Really?! I was half-assing the economics and foreign policy questions and I had strong support for the belief that global warming is happening and is bad, so maybe that was it. Apparently I'm 95% Green, 92% Democrat, 51% Libertarian, 25% Republican. I didn't realize I was so partisan. And apparently my roommate doesn't believe in global warming?! It's fine, I guess, that she agrees most with the Libertarian candidate, but this is nonsense.

Ugh, so ready to quit this job.

Gotta get out of here.

< stuff and things and nonsense | a birthday party observation >
seriously, it's nap time | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
you betta bring it by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 10:15:11 PM EST
cutting it pretty close, yo.

pff by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 10:22:09 PM EST
It's still more than 3 weeks' notice

No surprises here by LoppEar (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 11:11:10 PM EST
isidewith: 97% Green, 87% Democrat, 78% Socialist, 64% Libertarian.

I'm no longer surprised when someone I know turns out to hold nonsense political views. I expect that's key in your roommate's case, that she views Global Warming as a political issue (that you can believe in and identify with to varying strength). But I also hold nonsensical political views, and that usually means I'm more attached to them than simple logical reasoning will unseat. Even when I recognize that's the case.

It sounds like you should start your morning out by announcing your quitting, as the end of the day just isn't working out for you.

right, and part of it is media portrayal by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 07:14:56 AM EST
The way the  media portrays a lot of things, fringe views get a lot more scientific legitimacy than they ought because a 1% view getting any media coverage will end up appearing like a 10% view by virtue of the lack of coverage of other stuff.

so it looks like you can believe in vaccinations or not, or you can believe in evolution or not, or you can believe in global warming or not. disbelief in global warming is more respectable than the other two in that there is legitimate dissent - maybe 5% - but it's a small minority.

everything is 50-50 by nathan (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 02:21:46 PM EST
Either it's right or it's wrong.

#winning

also, re: political web diagnostics by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 11:35:10 PM EST
i'm pretty sure the whole point of those things is to make it seem like marginal third parties should have a place in american politics, when in fact there's no real reason to think these parties should be involved in anything more than low level local politics.

Case in point, The Political Compass by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 05:41:36 AM EST
It was created by libertarians in order to encourage people to think of issues in Libertarian terms.

Cicero, The Republic
right by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 07:09:22 AM EST
they don't "measure" where you are on a platonically existing scale, they create a scale and put you on it.

I retook the test paying attention to my options and ended up more Democrat than Green.

Isidewith by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 06:35:20 AM EST
79% Democratic, 74% Green, 76% Libertarian, 46% Republican.  Seems more or less in the ball park.  Surprised I'm that high on Green though.

---------------
From what I can tell ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 07:25:46 AM EST
... the Green Party USA is basically a soft form of lower case L libertarianism.  While they emphasize green principles in their platform, they also attempt to do everything by consensus.

But it's been a number of years since I looked at them closely. My impression may be out of date. Or it could have been wrong from the start.

Cicero, The Republic
Last effect I noticed by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 01:02:05 PM EST
was pushing a few percentage points for Bush in 2000 (Nader was the Green candidate.

Wumpus

I'm not sure you can blame that on the Greens by lm (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 01:22:54 PM EST
Nader would have ran anyway. He went with the Green party mostly to help them out. The hope was he'd break the magic number to get them into the debates for future elections.

And if he hadn't gone Green, then we would've had two groups (Nader voters and Green voters)  competing for drawing votes away from Gore.

Cicero, The Republic
Maybe it's a Massachusetts thing by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 06:54:52 PM EST
Near as I can tell they run more liberal in these parts.

---------------
In a squeaker by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 10:28:04 AM EST
I'm for Obama over the greens:

91% Dem, 90% Green, 65% Libertarian, 17% Republican

I'm surprised, though, because there's a number of significant disagreements I have with the Democrats.  No surprise that I have nearly no agreement with the Republican craziness.  Shows how much they've changed.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

ya, by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 03:20:03 PM EST
they're so ingrained in the media and government that people hesitate to say it, but they've become very weird and fringe-y in the last couple of decades, especially since 2008. one wonders how long it can last.

Back in the 80s by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 07:02:11 PM EST
I was a regular Republican supporter.  My politics haven't really changed, but the Republican Party did.   I think that's the same for a lot of people who still vote Republican, but most haven't realized that the party has changed considerably.

---------------
That sounds almost by barooo (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 10:37:46 AM EST
exactly like my breakdown.  I wouldn't have expected us to agree that much.

Hippie.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
When I did it again... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 11:04:25 AM EST
...with a fine-toothed comb, it was more like 84% Democrat 74% Green 52% Libertarian (really?!) and maybe 40% Republican.

I played around and found it interesting to see what they consider as substantial agreement or substantial disagreement. I mean, take the stem cell question. "Do you support stem cell research?" Except for oddball stances like Ron Paul's, where he says "no" because he doesn't think the federal government should support research, the debate among those who object is about embryonic stem cells. But they have the option that is essentially, "Yes, except for embryonic stem cells," and it gets counted as substantially agreeing with the "yes" position rather than the "no" position! But every "no" except for corner cases like Paul's is really the "Yes, but..." position.

This becomes especially problematic with the questions on Israel - essentially, everything gets lumped into either a "yes" or "no" group, but this is a complicated question without a yes/no answer.

Yeah by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 05:28:17 PM EST
I had that issue with the Social Security question.  I suspect by choosing "Reform" I am getting lumped into people who'd "reform" it in ways I find insane.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
88% obama, 13% romney, by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 03:12:53 PM EST
then a bunch of other stuff for people who aren't really running.

Isidewith Data by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 05:58:07 PM EST

A blog post from someone supporting the Libertarian candidate. http://garyjohnsongrassrootsblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/johnson-wins-election-based-on-issues.html

---------------