Print Story stuff and things and nonsense
By Merekat (Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 08:18:23 AM EST) (all tags)
Observation - cost of coolerbag retailed for breastmilk 2-3x cost of similar sized coolerbag retailed for beer or picnics.

Yay for the mommy guilt tax.

As it happens, I am using my laptop bag, which was sold as a skateboarder bag with built in cooler compartment for 3-4 cans of energy drink. It is also nicely compartmentalised so can carry nappies, clothes change, sanitiser etc. and still fit the laptop. So add changing bags to the list of crap I am glad we didn't buy.

Little guy has finally stopped growing quite so rapidly having hit 8kg. He continues to enjoy stuffing everything in his mouth, and extends his repertoire to babbling like Godzuki and trying to roll over all the way or sit forward by himself.

He loves going to creche after a slightly wobbly start where he appeared to have forgotten how to drink from a bottle.

I still dislike pumping.

He still sleeps at night mostly <ducks>.

Work, definitely a case of plus ├ža change. Most commonly heard phrase 'thank god you're back'. Have to decide in the next month what it is I want to do for the following two years from mid next year. Tough as I like the topics but not the environment and the alternative areas are nicer environment but icky dull topics.

< on traveling | seriously, it's nap time >
stuff and things and nonsense | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
the infant industrial complex perplexes me by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 08:30:11 AM EST
I remember when my first daughter came along, meandering through the local baby store and seeing piece of crap bags selling for three to five times the price of a decent knapsack or purse and thinking WTF?

Cicero, The Republic
At least by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 08:49:08 AM EST
you don't have to pay the pink tax. That's worse.

LO has never been much of a pink girl or princess, thank god, but on the other hand she is big on the kitsch as a teenager. She walked in from an amusement park outing with a batman cape on.

Can someone by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 05:02:30 PM EST
Please explain how this happens?

MiniBreaker had plenty of different coloured outfits all her life, when we were in sole charge of her wardrobe.

We have never favoured any colour over another, just what fitted, what the shop had and what wasn't priced crazily.

Now she can walk and talk, and we encourage her to choose the next socks we buy her at the shop, and it's all pink, pink, pink.

Where did that come from?  MBW never wears pink, I most certainly don't, she's never been subject to "pink is for girls", more "all colours are nice".

So, where?

...continued by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 02:18:54 AM EST
Even more weird considering anonimouse conducts an active hate campaign against the deployment of pink in the house and on any person, yet still loses to Miss Minimouse.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Glad to see you've by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 05:08:14 PM EST
Popped your head up, merekat!

Mummy tax - oh yes.  I think the manufacturers have sussed that if you're willing to fork out a few quid for a plastic bottle to put the stored milk in, they can bilk you on the accoutrements - you're used to paying over the odds for cheap things like plastic bottles, so while you're in the mood to not regard cost on some things, they crank up the prices elsewhere.  Our "nappy bag" is actually a schoolkid's satchel, strongly made, compartments and with a matching pencil case that we keep travel food in.

Sounds like you have a good handle on things there - top work.

He still sleeps at night mostly
You will regret that statement when the teeth are coming in...

regret by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 04:18:18 AM EST
Nope, I'll enjoy it while I have it, knowing what is coming.

I don't store the milk in bottles long term but pump directly into the bottle he gets tomorrow so I am paying more for proprietary connection systems than bottles per se. Yay vendor lockin.

The engineer in me by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 03:38:20 PM EST
Looks at those pumping systems and damn, I swear I could do better.  The one MBW had could only do one side at a time, and she had to be seated and holding it on.

The great ones are damned expensive by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Jul 21, 2012 at 11:33:53 PM EST
Mine is double, portable, and comes with a hands-free kit...but there are special bras that will hold it on for you without the proprietary hands free stuff. I figured it was worth the cost to get this one, given that I was probably going to be exclusively pumping again.
---------
we just use a backpack by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jul 18, 2012 at 04:48:14 AM EST
and a separate cooler for all the milk he needs during the day, because if there's one thing my boy does well, it's eat.
---------