Print Story 6 years on
By aphrael (Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 05:08:06 PM EST) (all tags)
I've just come back from my local stationary store, where I paid a very confused notary public two dollars to administer an oath, and then affirm himself that he'd witnessed it.

I swore to support the Constitution of the US and of California (an oath i've taken many times, always a bit nervously because, really, how can you be sure you are supporting the Constitution of California?), and to faithfully discharge the duties of an attorney and counselor at law, to the best of my knowledge and ability.

On the one hand, it was anticlimax. My friends got to do this in front of a judge, with pomp and circumstance; I got to do it before a notary public in a stationary store. (Perhaps, when I do NJ and NY, there will be more ceremony).

And yet on the other hand ... having done it, it feels way more momentous than I expected it to. I'm not sure why, other than i've been looking for/waiting for this day, on some level, for six years.

< so we've found an apartment | On the making of a self-watering planter out of a plastic tub >
6 years on | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
*pint*! by belldandi (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 05:19:47 PM EST
I can't say I know more to say than the title. Doesn't hurt that a glass or two of alcohol would do me wonders right about now! :D

Cheers,
-Bell

First thing we do... by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 05:46:56 PM EST
Is quote Billy. Also, yay!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Awesome. /nt by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 06:39:56 PM EST

Excellent! by clock (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 08:21:40 PM EST
Do I call you Councellor from now on?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Esq. by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Jun 07, 2012 at 10:19:45 AM EST
"Esquire" sounds so much nicer!

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Congrats! by technician (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 08:35:05 PM EST
Some of the finest moments in life are small, and powerful.

so now i can ask you for free legal advice, right? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 09:13:44 PM EST
so i have this wort and my neighbor has been pumping wastewater on my lawn and...

free legal advice is worth what you pay for it. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 06:42:47 AM EST
also, and this is in no way legal advice, i've heard that if you redirect the wastewater back to their land, all sorts of hilarity ensues.
Mazal Tov! by motty (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 11:04:51 PM EST
Stationery, no? Unless all you mean is that it wasn't an ice-cream van. /pedant

Never mind that though. Mazal tov again!

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Congrats by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 03:55:58 AM EST

Iambic Web Certified

Congrats! by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 05:53:17 AM EST
Yay, you're a lawyer!
Congrats by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 08:06:20 AM EST
Even though you can never use IANAL anymore.

not without a space anyway. by the mariner (4.00 / 3) #13 Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 10:02:12 AM EST

I always get a kick out things like that by lm (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 08:16:53 AM EST
A small, almost trivial, affair that puts dots the i's and crosses the t's to bring completion to a long, hard, and stressful effort.

Good on you for following through to the end. I should be so diligent.

Cicero, The Republic
I recently had a closing call for a $1.25B deal by nathan (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 03:28:48 PM EST
"Hello, is everyone on the line?"

*various banks, law firms, etc. confirm*

"Good. OK, we received the wire with the money. Is everyone cool?"

"Yup, we're cool."

"OK, the deal is now closed, thanks everyone." *click*

I went back to my office, billed 0.25, and drank a diet soda. Aaaaahhhh, the sweet taste of victory.

What I'm saying is that it's cool that you did it, congrats, and often big things end quietly.

diet soda???? by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 02:53:49 PM EST

yes - and a national brand at that by nathan (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 07:32:17 PM EST

We live the high life in BIGLAW. No more generic diet soda for me.

lol by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #20 Sun Jun 10, 2012 at 12:49:24 AM EST

Congrats! by atreides (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 05:31:07 PM EST
And consternation, too. You're officially one of THEM. I'm sorry. :P

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Congrats, man. by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 05:25:24 PM EST

Well played.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Wow. by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 09:06:57 PM EST
 That's so crazy, it seems not long ago and forever at the same time. Time is so weird. Anyway, that is so awesome, that you've done what you set out to do. Through your hard work and perseverance you are now one of those lawyer guys. ;) and, I must say that though lawyers are the butt of a lot of jokes, Ive nearly always found them to be very sincere people who were trying to do the right thing. That seems to fit for you too so you've just solidified my anecdotal evidence. :) congratulations. I would hug you big time with a huge grin on my face if you were here ( I bet you can even imagine it!).
*twinkle*twinkle*