Print Story Muhahaha
Games
By anonimouse (Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 09:52:02 AM EST) (all tags)
I have discovered I have a wicked streak in Diablo 3

Update [2012-6-28 16:56:21 by anonimouse]: I spend more money. Also anonimouse makes a blood offering to the Elder Gods

Diablo 3: things to do when bored

a) Play Diablo 3 Hardcore multiplayer and see if someone goes away from the keyboard without going to the safety of town
b) Find a horde or two of monsters and pull them towards the idle character
c) Enjoy the merriment as the level 30 barbarian/demon hunter is eaten alive by the horde of demons you invited to the feast
d) imagine the other player as they realises they have to spend another 20 or so hours getting his/her character from level 1 again.
Works best with a character able to sprint away from bad guys e.g Demon Hunter

More expense:

Miss Minimouse: Daddy, my computers not working - and the screen is showing funny characters.
Anonimouse: Ok, lets take a look at it

After a couple of reboot attempts I have "improved" the situation to the point where it doesn't power up at all, so I start removing things to see what's broken.
Unfortunately I find the system only boots when the disk drive and DVD-ROM are removed, so I suspect something to do with disc drive interface has gone on the motherboard.
Even more unfortunately, I suspect getting an AM-2 motherboard will be expensive, so I sigh, and upgrade Miss Minimouse with a new box consisting of
  • AMD-A8 3870K processor
  • Asus mini-ATX motherboard
  • 8GB RAM
  • SATA DVD drive
..and I hope that the hard disk is OK otherwise I'll have to go back to the shop and ask them nicely for one of those too.

After a few hours sweating and cursing putting it together, I boot it and .... it works. Well up to a point. Windows seems a little confused that it was running on a wheezy system with a Sempron system now has quad cores and breathes fire. After a few reboots and spluttering, it seems to have worked out most of the new drivers and is up and running.

I now have a cut finger. Why is it every PC I build always manages to draw blood? It's as though Windows requires a blood offering before it'll start.

Yours in Nyarlathotep
anonimouse

< A Prayer for Owen Meany | They're trying to kill me >
Muhahaha | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
griefing? 4 serious? by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 12:27:33 PM EST
Also, I've had very little luck swapping mobos, I almost always end up re-installing Windows.

Ubuntu of course barely notices and keeps chugging.

Technically by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 01:44:50 PM EST
Wikipedia says its training. What can I say except the absence of poon makes anonimouse childish?.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
There's something about griefing by dmg (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 05:04:07 PM EST
That appeals to my inner troll. Some of those gamers take things waaay too seriously. Also with the amount of camping that goes on in certain games, it's hardly surprising if people start to take the law into their own hands, is it?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I have petite hands by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 02, 2012 at 10:59:49 PM EST
and every computer I've repaired has drawn blood. So, yes, blood offering.
I think by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 02, 2012 at 11:08:56 PM EST
its because I no longer buy enormous tower PC cases with lots of room in, and instead buy small PC cases, giving the sharp edges inside the case plenty of opportunity to strike, normally when I find I can't get the hard drive into the case when I've already put the motherboard in, or when routing the power, drive and front panel cables in such a way they don't rub against a CPU fan

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL