Print Story A Prayer for Owen Meany
Technology
By gzt (Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 04:09:12 PM EST) gzt, owen meany (all tags)
You should read it. It's very good. I'm almost done. Srsly. Hard to describe.

I had to finish off a test last night for my class. It went okay. Some of my classifiers performed shittily. I don't know if that's okay or if it's my fault. I think I was mildly clever at some point, though. This is not the clever bit: one of the problems was classifying a bunch of the Federalist papers whose authorship was disputed. We already had the data distilled, we didn't go from the texts themselves. I used a k-nearest neighbors thing because I didn't want to have to think about SVMs - namely, would I use a non-linear kernel? Nope, not thinking about it. The other problems called for using PSVMs, the teacher's particular area of expertise, rather than SVMs, and I presume they were supposed to be linear, which makes things easier. The one big advantage of PSVMs is that they are lightning fast. SVMs, however, can be slow, which is disconcerting when you have a short period of time to turn in your midterm.

Larry Wasserman hath a blog and it is awesome.

I skipped a couple days of gym because I had a cold and because I had to do this test. Now I have to skip tomorrow because the high is supposed to be 100 degrees (38 C for you Yerpians), which is not good for effective training. Or survival.

Because I was up late last night, I don't have much of a "give-a-shit" right now.

Honestly, this global warming stuff is tough. We - that is, oil companies and sovereign governments - have the equivalent of 2795 gigatons of carbon emissions in reserves and can only burn 585 gigatons of it before there's a global calamity. The difference is on their balance sheets and is worth $20 trillion. It's hard to argue against $20 trillion. And reserves are increasing, still, what with new technologies being able to extract more oil from previously theoretical sources.

Guinea pigs as figure of speech: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/06/human_guinea_pigs_and_the_history_of_the_iconic_lab_animal_.html People don't use them anymore, but a couple famous people did and GB Shaw railed about it. Scandinavians, however, use rabbits instead of guinea pigs in their figures of speech.

Jon Huntsman, a man I have always found interesting, has apparently joined a liberalist think tank. http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/06/22/jon_huntsman_update_he_lands_a_job_at_a_liberal_think_tank_.html This, of course, means that he is going to be completely persona au gratin politically.

These information strategy interviews at work are pretty interesting.

Seriously, though: Owen Meany.

< Phillywhirl | Muhahaha >
A Prayer for Owen Meany | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
If you've not hit the end of APfOM by Herring (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 05:27:02 PM EST
then wait.

I keep thinking I'm not a fan of Irving but then I realise I've got quite a few of his books and I read them.

(Also I might have an Offline Backup of a BBC dramatisation of this if PMed)

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

you mean the part... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 10:31:49 PM EST
...where we find out Mr Meany is the narrator's father?

Huntsman is interesting <n/t> by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 06:19:37 PM EST

---------------
lol @ global warming by dmg (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 06:20:58 PM EST
For some reason, I find all the 'chicken littleism' unpersuasive, that's despite the fact that the 'science is settled'...

I even think a bit of global warming might actually be a good thing. It might postpone the imminent ice age that the earth has every 10000 years or so, for example.

In short, the global warming cloud may in fact, have a silver lining.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

The Brookings Institute is not especially liberal by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 08:24:27 PM EST
It seems pretty centrist and moderate to me. I suppose that compared to the Heritage Foundation or the American Enterprise Institute, they look liberal. But the raison d'etre of Brookings is not really all that progressive unless you consider worldwide promulgation of American style democracy to be progressive.

Also, I didn't like Owen Meany. From a technical perspective, I can appreciate Irving's talent.  But his works leaving me wondering 'why would anyone want to read that? why would anyone even want to write that?' at the end.

Cicero, The Republic
More about Huntsman's career. by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 09:15:12 PM EST
Although working for a Democrat president really was enough for True Conservatives, taking another job that doesn't hold to 100% approved conservative positions is going to end his career.

Wumpus

It's left of center... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 10:33:17 PM EST
...which is the kiss of death. Centrist and moderate = practically communist, as far as getting elected as a Republican these days. At least, if you're completely open about it.

I think I might have felt that about Garp.

??? by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 12:45:08 AM EST
It is left of the Heritage Foundation. "Center" has become meaningless when the easiest way to attack Newt Gingrich during the primaries (aside from being Newt Gingrich) would be to point out his exact positions as speaker: they correspond terribly close to Obama's actual record. Much like the Red Queen of Wonderland, you have to run very fast (to the right) to stay still (relative to the center).

Wumpus

How are you calculating left/right? by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 05:59:46 AM EST
Although, now that I think about it, given Huntsman's performance in this election cycle, I think that working for a supposedly liberal think tank is the least of his worries.

Cicero, The Republic
finding the center by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 07:16:59 AM EST
You would think the center is where the votes are, ignoring pathological distributions of voters (meaning improbable, not gerrymandering). I've assumed this is media-driven, but don't understand it.

Wumpus