Print Story I am an Apple fanboi...
By dmg (Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 07:36:45 AM EST) (all tags)
But things like this outrageous piece of news make me wonder sometimes.

Surely there is a need for legislation to prevent this cynical exploitation of people simply because they have taste?

I don't want to have to fire up VMware, Windows 7 and IE just to check I'm not being ripped off. Government intervention is required.

I got a mac to make my life easier after all....

< A good time... | Phillywhirl >
I am an Apple fanboi... | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
If you sort by price by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 07:47:01 AM EST
You get shown the lowest price at the top of the list.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Happens all the time by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 08:26:56 AM EST
Imagine my joy the day I discovered how much LOT - Poland's national airline - were upping the prices when you viewed the site in English, as opposed to Polish. Been a while since I've last seen them do it, but for airline tickets it's definitely always worth muddling through the local version first ;)

I have a friend from Moldova by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 04:30:01 PM EST
He needed his appendix out while visiting his parents. Once they found out he lived in the US, the prices went up steeply.

Cicero, The Republic
fire up nothing by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 09:24:06 AM EST
just make your browser report it's a different OS.

"suddenly visitors using Linux has jumped 400%!  Maybe it really IS ready for the desktop!"

Genius! by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 05:04:42 PM EST
In the space of 3 sentences you've managed to ignite a 3 way flamewar.

Hats. OFF.

next time by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 3) #9 Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 05:13:49 PM EST
I'll try to be more concise

I'm not 100% sure by dmg (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 05:23:59 PM EST
But hacking your browser in this way probably violates the DMCA and PATRIOT acts...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
so does pooping in the wrong toilet by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 09:25:40 PM EST

I'm not about to do that either... by dmg (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 10:09:16 PM EST

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
If you'll pay 2x as much for shiny hardware... by marvin (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 09:34:01 AM EST
...then there is a good chance you're a sucker for other shiny things too. Welcome to the world of targeted marketing; I'm surprised it took them this long.

Next up in shocking news: people wearing expensive branded clothing, and jewelry such as Swiss watches are steered towards higher end goods by sales clerks. Oh noes, the horror!!!!

Exactly by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 12:21:53 PM EST
And technically, they're not showing higher prices, they're showing higher quality goods.  It's the same price for the same hotel on either OS, they just default to showing the better stuff to Mac users.

Frankly, I'd like a flag to weed out the dumps on Windows too.

Use Lynx by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #6 Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 03:38:14 PM EST
It runs on the Mac and will solve the browse agent problem

Trolled by The Onion? [nt] by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 01:40:08 AM EST
 <textarea style="width:100%;height:100%;position:absolute;top:0;left:0;right:0;bottom:0"></textarea>

don't see what the fuss is about by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 02:32:33 AM EST
if you wear expensive clothes, don't be surprised if the shopping assistant tries to sell you nicer stuff. This has been going on since for ever.

Actually given that it is evidence-based ("mac-users tend to buy more expensive hotels than pc-users") it is saving the macies the trouble of sifting through all the pc-hotels they don't want and just gives them what they usually look for up front.
-- The revolution will not be televised.

I was on a hotel booking site the other day by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 11:56:20 AM EST
And was consistently getting different rates based on what browser I used. IE and Firefox would report a slightly higher price than Chrome.

statistics by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 11:08:23 PM EST
Shoppers with more disposable income buy more expensive products shocker!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Well perhaps they wouldn't by dmg (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Jun 29, 2012 at 07:33:33 AM EST
If dishonest marketing were not being deployed against them. Also, whilst I may or may not have a high disposable income, my choice of apple other other competing offerings is a purely technical decision. It is the best tool for the jobs I need to do.

I have no time for blue screens of death, virii, missing dlls, or 'rolling my own kernal' just to get Lunix to recognize my webcam.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

I am an Apple fanboi... | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback