Print Story question of etiquette
Help!
By tierrasimbolica (Tue May 08, 2012 at 06:29:55 PM EST) (all tags)
If someone's rampant mutant b.o. is literally making you gag, what is the most appropriate response?

1) Let the person know.
2) Politely keep as much physical distance between you as you can manage, and keep it to yourself.
3) Other?
< New transport. | For those of you not on facebook >
question of etiquette | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Depends, maybe? by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue May 08, 2012 at 07:48:01 PM EST
If it's somebody in your family, you should tell him (or her). If it's somebody else, perhaps (depending on how well you know the person and the situation) discreetly let a family member know?

This is why I'm not Miss Manners. :-)

It happened once by tierrasimbolica (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed May 09, 2012 at 12:43:10 AM EST
with a family member, and I did tell her.  She seemed pretty horrified, but I don't think I could have kept from telling her, since we were riding in the car together for a long drive.   She was just getting over a bad cold, which can make one's body odor especially rancid.  Still, whatever the reason, I was gagging.  Passed her some deodorant (which I carry in my purse).   Awkwardness all around.

But, would you want to know by tierrasimbolica (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed May 09, 2012 at 12:55:31 AM EST
if it was you?  I think I would want someone to tell me.  I would probably be horrified at first, but I'd get over it.  More horrified at the thought of inspiring that reaction in people.

I worked with someone like that by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue May 08, 2012 at 07:53:58 PM EST
He claimed that sweat produced pheromones that would drive women willed.  (The reaction of the female staff appeared to disprove this.)  He was a 'roid addict who would hit the gym prior to work, intentionally not showering.

He didn't keep his job very long.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Ew. by tierrasimbolica (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed May 09, 2012 at 12:48:33 AM EST
The smell of some people's sweat doesn't bother me.  Not showering for a week would definitely gross me out, but someone who has general good hygiene and in good health is not likely to have b.o. that will get me heaving.  I can stomach certain things - had an elderly lady at work vomit into my hands once, and I managed to keep my cool.  Gnarly b.o. is more than I can handle.

Holy coincidence, Batgirl. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue May 08, 2012 at 11:18:02 PM EST
My new female boss has French-level body odor, smokes AND has caries-induced halitosis! My eyes actually water if she spends more than 30 seconds in my cube. Worse, she's UNDER THIRTY! XD

I feel your pain. by tierrasimbolica (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed May 09, 2012 at 12:53:26 AM EST
What inspired the OP was a lady at work, one of our patients.  I was coughing and gagging with tears running out my eyes.   Unloaded a can of Lysol in the exam room after she left.  Didn't help much.  Escaped briefly to another office to catch my breath. Had that searing smell burned into my nostrils for the rest of the afternoon.

Fire up a can of Febreeze in their presence. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed May 09, 2012 at 05:34:51 AM EST
It's the only thing they understand.

Oh, the gingivitis smell by barooo (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed May 09, 2012 at 10:35:26 AM EST
Is truly disgusting.  Someone who I won't mention by name that I deal with every few weeks has some nasty stuff going on in his mouth. It's a shame because I like the guy otherwise.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
It's beyond gingivitis -- by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed May 09, 2012 at 06:40:02 PM EST
It's the ichor draining from abcessed teeth. It smells like rotting flesh. She has to be in constant pain.

I suggest a calm, respectful, clear confrontation by theboz (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed May 09, 2012 at 10:48:35 PM EST
Just say, "Yo bitch, wash your ass!"

I'm joking, but I think we've all been there.  I used to have a coworker whose breath could be smelled from over ten feet away.  It was like he used shrimp sauce and those Korean dead baby pills as mouthwash.
- - - - -

WIPO by Herring (4.00 / 4) #12 Thu May 10, 2012 at 06:22:57 AM EST
Rinse them down with the firehose. Should only take a couple of times before the hint is taken.

Either that or don a gasmask when they approach (you may say "are you my mummy?").

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky