Print Story Travel.
Travel
By technician (Wed May 02, 2012 at 11:46:55 AM EST) (all tags)
It still sounds silly.

Last night, after going to a class about international travel (at the local REI, given by a very funny slacker who has spent his adult life traveling around the world) I booked The Trip to Paris and London. The hotel in London changed (the one in Trafalgar Sq was full) but otherwise the same details: October, leave here and get to Paris. Drop bags off at Citadines Les Halles (we get in about 5 hours before check in) and wander around. Spend the week in Paris, then hop on the train and head to London, to spend another week at another Citadines. So, if you plan on stalking us at all, we'll be the fat American tourists in the middle of both cities. If you'd like the actual dates, send me a message on facebook or email or whatever, but when we get close I'll send up a flare.

I was recently in Virginia for a week (I have something like 6 weeks of leave this year, and I've burned only six days of it so far) and was telling my grandparents about the pending trip, and it struck me: I'm going on a trip that 98 percent of the people in that village can't even comprehend affording. It smacks of snobbery. Bugs me, because it's such a ridiculous concept.

That aside, I'm excited. We've been saving for this for years, and it's finally going to happen, assuming nothing stupid happens between now and October. I expect there will be odd little issues, and we'll be prepared for the worst but hoping for the best.

Any travel tips? Advice that everyone should have about either city?

< For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south. | I am a doughnut >
Travel. | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That's awesome! by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed May 02, 2012 at 12:16:46 PM EST
Right now, we've got a trip to Hawaii in June, then Disneyworld in March.  And if all goes to plan in HI, we'll have to figure out a honeymoon next year sometime.  Early discussions are either Hawaii, cruise or Spain/Portugal.

Wait what by yankeehack (4.00 / 3) #5 Wed May 02, 2012 at 12:54:11 PM EST
did I read that right? A June marriage proposal by the side of a flaming volcano?!?!
Almost by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed May 02, 2012 at 01:19:36 PM EST
Except there are no flaming volcanoes on Kauai, so it's going to have to be during a sunset stroll on the beach.

I really ought to write here more often.

Yes... by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed May 02, 2012 at 07:12:10 PM EST
Yes, you should.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Some day, when you come to VA by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed May 02, 2012 at 12:21:23 PM EST
Take a day to hang in DC and we'll do a HuSi meet. Toxicfur will confirm that we're Mostly Harmless.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I thought we were mrgoat? (nt) by Driusan (4.00 / 3) #3 Wed May 02, 2012 at 12:43:55 PM EST

Vive le Montréal libre.
Imagine leaving your dying grandparents by technician (4.00 / 3) #4 Wed May 02, 2012 at 12:47:38 PM EST
for a two day drive (one up, one back) to meet imaginary internet people.

That's how my family sees it.

There is a very good chance, though, that work and/or life will take me to DC in the next 18 months.

Now if we can just get the McClockys... by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed May 02, 2012 at 01:20:56 PM EST
To stop by when they're driving up to Philly. ...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

won't that be out of the way? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed May 02, 2012 at 09:41:22 PM EST

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Probably. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu May 03, 2012 at 08:58:28 AM EST
If they head east on I-10, then north on I-95, then they go right by. If they do 35N then 70E then they miss us. But Philly isn't that far away.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I may be misremembering by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu May 03, 2012 at 06:56:28 PM EST
But I thought at one point clock mentioned going via his old stomping grounds, which is much further north.

95 makes the most sense if coming from the south I think.  No way he wants to travel for hours on the PA Turnpike.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock

Travel Advice for Paris by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed May 02, 2012 at 12:59:33 PM EST
French law says on your first trip to Paris, you must spend at least 1 day in the Louvre, but if you expect to see the whole museum it takes at least 2. (1 to go through the paintings, 1 to go through the rest) So that only leaves approximately 5 days for the rest of the city.  In that time, some of the more touristy but less obvious touristy things to do are:
  1. The French Pantheon. In my religion it's the first sacred site that everyone must pilgrimage to, but I haven't founded my religion yet.
  2. La Rue Mouffetard is around there, and has good crepes on the cheap.
  3. Take the metro to La Defence when you have an afternoon with not much to do, the architecture around there is neat.
  4. The Catacombs are full of cool.
  5. Americans like to go see Jim Morrison's grave at Pere Lachaise, but Oscar Wilde has a better grave, even though (because?) someone stole its cock.
Other than that:
  1. I recommend reading The Judgement of Paris by Ross King before going, that way you'll get more out of Musee D'Orsay and Musee de l'Orangerie. If you don't like Impressionism, disregard.
  2. Remember when you're at a restaurant: wine is cheaper than water. Always drink wine.
  3. Don't be afraid/surprised by all the kids walking around with machine guns at national monuments. They're just military police and rarely shoot people, not even Americans.

Vive le Montréal libre.
also by gzt (4.00 / 2) #20 Thu May 03, 2012 at 01:02:11 AM EST
you're required to fall in love while in paris. it's the law.

metafilter has some great advice. by garlic (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu May 03, 2012 at 01:39:26 PM EST
I like the sewer museum -- it's odd and fun in paris. And Musee Cluny is fun too -- visit it near the end of your week in Paris after you've gone all the places where the original stuff was that now is in Cluny.

I thought Tower of London was pretty amazing.

And I'd recommend reading Three Musketeers in Paris (since you'll see Dumas grave in the Pantheon) and Sherlock Holmes stories in London.

London advice from a non-native... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed May 02, 2012 at 01:14:37 PM EST
1. Spend the first day or two completely on foot.

2. Don't forget to haggle with the cabbies. This is especially funny when drinking is involved.

3. Don't try to see everything. You won't have time unless you go hardcore for a month and even then...

4. The Natural History, Science and Technology, and Victoria and Albert museums are all within walking distance of one another. All are cool, though the V&A is the best of the bunch IMHO.

5. Walk through at least one real neighborhood. Nothing makes you feel less like a tourist than throwing a "What?" glare back at a townie.

6. Do not eat at the Texas Embassy. Of course, once you get a look at the prices for what you get, you probably won't want to. No man should pay 20 pounds for enchiladas...

7. Climb the Monument. Work on your endurance beforehand. You're running marathons and crap so you might be ready.

8. There is no #8.

That is all.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

small tips by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed May 02, 2012 at 01:19:48 PM EST
in London, try to avoid the tube during rush hour if you can. Crowd wise it's worse than NYC in a lot of places.

Of all the museums I visited in Europe, I enjoyed The Louvre the least. Far too huge for its own good. Their modern art museum is amazing, however. Obviously it depends on what you're looking for.

Other than that - just walk around and soak up the cities.

London Travel Tip by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed May 02, 2012 at 01:57:29 PM EST
If you have a smartphone, get one of the London Travel Apps - I use the one by Malcolm Barclay.

With an app like this, the bus network becomes useful - and your travel options open up a lot.

Unless you have a brain damaged Verizon smartphone by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed May 02, 2012 at 04:23:25 PM EST
the earlier ones (my Droid Incredible at least) were  only CDMA.

Verizon and Sprint are not GSM by theboz (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed May 02, 2012 at 11:22:02 PM EST
However, Verizon does have plans that should work overseas, but it's not anywhere near a common cellular technology like GSM (AT&T and T-Mobile.)
- - - - -
Guide by dmg (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed May 02, 2012 at 06:47:24 PM EST
I highly recommend you read and memorise my  Guide to the United Kingdom for Americans. It's comprehensive, covering most of the scenarios in which you are likely to find yourself. It might be advisable to print out a copy to use as a reference, just in case you find it hard to commit all my good advice to memory...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
-1, no mushy peas by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed May 02, 2012 at 07:16:21 PM EST

Hey wait, by technician (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed May 02, 2012 at 10:33:57 PM EST
according to that site, my kid's a hacker.

And I don't even have a kid.

I think that site is a joke by dmg (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed May 02, 2012 at 10:48:40 PM EST
Although I cannot be sure.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Second the science museum. by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #21 Thu May 03, 2012 at 05:54:43 AM EST
Best place to work out a hangover after too much real ale.

Oh yeah, have some real ale. And pie. I recommend the Bree Louise for both - http://www.thebreelouise.com/

Peoplewatching in Camden is fun, even if you'll be immediately told it isn't what it used to be.

Travel. | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback