Print Story I invented the word "hootcherie" just now.
Drink
By technician (Thu May 17, 2012 at 09:06:42 PM EST) (all tags)
For a review of a pedestrian corn whiskey made by a small batch Texas distillery.

I want this known. Hipster mixologists will be using this term soon, and I want you to know who coined it.
< the cleaning staff does not have sticky fingers | On ideas >
I invented the word "hootcherie" just now. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I, uh... by ana (4.00 / 3) #1 Thu May 17, 2012 at 09:11:24 PM EST
 sorta read that as "coocherie"

RIP HOOTCHERIE by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu May 17, 2012 at 11:10:47 PM EST

Prior art by lm (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri May 18, 2012 at 07:59:57 AM EST
  1. On that note, I will be going to my local fine hootcherie today to pick up my single malt club bottle, Glenmorangie with a charcoal finish on order from the local hootcherie.
  2. Blair's great bad a$$ness reduced to hootcherie and sainthood
unknown: When Amy and I went on the run for ingredients I stopped in the local hootcherie for some Bully Hill wine.

I suspect that the term has been around more or less since the word `hootch'  has been around. But I don't think I've ever seen it applied to a form of hootch.

Cicero, The Republic
I'll just claim that was all me. by technician (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri May 18, 2012 at 08:06:18 AM EST
Easy!

And change your name by Herring (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri May 18, 2012 at 09:28:21 AM EST
to Apple.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Ahhh by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri May 18, 2012 at 01:45:23 PM EST
I thought he was playing on the word "charcuterie", which is about as hipster as you can get these days in the foodie world.  So "hootcherie" would be a bar or restaurant's own homemade (or home-modified) booze.

That's what I had in mind, by technician (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri May 18, 2012 at 08:44:02 PM EST
was a combo of hootch and charcuterie. Very hipster.

this topic came up at work today by lm (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri May 18, 2012 at 08:55:50 PM EST
Just because are words are homophonic or homonymic doesn't mean that they are the same word.

I tried to point something like that out in my post but my pointing was more like vague hand-waiving.

Cicero, The Republic
a pedestrian corn whiskey by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri May 18, 2012 at 08:25:19 AM EST
No one in Texas makes a good moonshine?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Certainly! by technician (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 18, 2012 at 10:26:34 AM EST
But no one sells it in a way that I can buy it without going to jail :-(

Your Honor, I bought it for cleaning backup tape by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri May 18, 2012 at 12:45:55 PM EST
heads for my job in computers, I had no idea someone would drink it.

Just tell the court that by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri May 18, 2012 at 01:18:16 PM EST
you're working (for the government) on the Osmotic Bomb.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)