Print Story Standard Pablum
Cheese
By jimgon (Sun May 13, 2012 at 03:25:39 PM EST) (all tags)
Just another update on the life of jimgon.

In my public blog I've been on an anti-Mitt Romney tear lately.  When he was governor of Massachusetts I didn't much mind him.  I didn't vote for him, but I didn't have much problem with him.   The last five years with his runs for President have focused a lot of attention on him and I'm just building an intense dislike for the man.  He's just another trust fund fop who thinks the world should kiss his ass.  That and if anyone fits the classic definition of a sociopath it is Mitt Romney.

After the Republican Party spending the entire length of Barack Obama's first term campaigning for President I'm ready for the election.  Anyone who is undecided on this election probably shouldn't be allowed to vote.  If you have your head up your ass for four years and pull it out long enough to check a box on a form then you really shouldn't be trusted with the vote.  Actually I can say you definitely shouldn't be trusted to vote.  You are a child and should sit back and let the adults handle the important stuff.  Sometimes I'm a small d democrat, but most of the time I'm not.

Got asked to run as a write in candidate for school committee in town.  This would be the committee I got voted off of last year.  The only candidate who submitted paperwork to get on the ballot is somewhat subpar.  I don't have the time to do the job, so I wasn't tempted.  The next three years of my life are already planned, so I don't have to worry about it.

Just got an email (literally just now) from a friend who has been on the down low lately.  Reason.  He had a stroke and is in rehab hospital.  Wow. That would be the second friend to have had a stroke this year.  There are really only two things that scare me.  Being old in America and anything that causes mental trauma.  I am my brain.  Dementia or massive brain trauma scare the shit out of me.  The first of my friends to have sufferred a stroke this year I saw the change in him.  Behind the stuterring and difficulty speaking you can see the man who still remembers everything, but can't get it out.  Trapped in his own body behind a mental trauma.  Scares me.  Losing myself to dementia would be worse.  At least with a blockage I would still remember who I was.  The meat sack isn't important.  The brain is the person.

Had a phone interview this week.  Turning into an in-person interview.  Would be a good job for me. I've researched the company and the talked over the job itself with the recruiter and the manager I telephone interviewed with and both are a fit for what I want.  The company is a mid-size non-profit.  The job would be a step up from what I'm doing now.  Less project management and some regular management.  Being on Secret Project at my current job isn't going to get me there which isn't to say I want to step up at the current employer.
< The promised denouement | somebody on the cleaning staff with sticky fingers? >
Standard Pablum | 48 comments (48 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
RMONEY'S QOTD: by ammoniacal (4.00 / 3) #1 Sun May 13, 2012 at 05:38:51 PM EST

Voting is for people by dmg (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun May 13, 2012 at 06:45:41 PM EST
Who still think the system is worth saving. Here's a clue, it isn't.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
You're right it isn't by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun May 13, 2012 at 06:57:40 PM EST
what's the alternative?

---------------
(Comment Deleted) by dmg (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun May 13, 2012 at 07:08:33 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by dmg

The alternative to voting? by dmg (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun May 13, 2012 at 07:11:29 PM EST
Is not voting. Passive non-cooperation.

Voting is like that Charlie brown cartoon strip where Lucy holds the rugby ball and always pulls it away at the last minute. The only way to win is not to play...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

The system doesn't work by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon May 14, 2012 at 06:05:05 AM EST
but not voting doesn't work either.  There is the theory that if you allow the incompetent to enter government it will hasten the end of said government, but by not voting you don't enable that.  Additionally in the American system it's not so much about incompentence as it is about evil vs less-evil.  The concept was really that eventually the people would have enough and rise in violent revolution.  I think the days of violent revolution in advanced societies is long past.  So the system doesn't work.  Voting isn't particularly effective.  But the system for replacing what's there doesn't exist.

---------------
Not voting shows I hold them all in contempt. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon May 14, 2012 at 05:28:52 PM EST
And means I can wash my hands of all the idiocy.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Since you cannot differentiate by technician (2.00 / 0) #41 Tue May 15, 2012 at 10:21:21 PM EST
contempt from laziness from their perspective, all it shows them is nothing.

But if you feel correct in your action, that is all that matters. For you.

It's laziness AND contempt. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #46 Wed May 16, 2012 at 05:02:58 PM EST

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Oh, that's a great strategy by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon May 14, 2012 at 07:32:44 PM EST
Passive non-cooperation just makes you one of the poor people no one gives a shit about.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
It's working out well for me by dmg (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue May 15, 2012 at 07:35:55 AM EST
I detect no real difference in my situation vs when I did vote...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Is that the only reason to vote? by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun May 13, 2012 at 07:29:36 PM EST
I can think of a zillion other reasons starting with entertainment value.

Cicero, The Republic
Where's the entertainment value? by dmg (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun May 13, 2012 at 08:18:40 PM EST
I find it singularly depressing.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
well, you do have odd tastes in entertainment by lm (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon May 14, 2012 at 08:17:56 AM EST
I didn't say that everyone would find going to the ballot box to be entertaining.

Cicero, The Republic
I see where you're going wrong by Herring (4.00 / 2) #13 Mon May 14, 2012 at 09:43:44 AM EST
It's "ballet" and no, not everyone does find it entertaining.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Interesting people-watching by riceowlguy (4.00 / 2) #30 Tue May 15, 2012 at 02:16:30 PM EST
which, when you're a elitist snob like me, has you leaving the polling place thinking "if these are the people choosing our leaders, no wonder we're so fucked."

It's just as well they are not choosing. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #45 Wed May 16, 2012 at 05:00:49 PM EST
In any meaningful way, they are choosing which pro-big business pro-war, pro-capitalist leader they want, not quite the same as "choosing their leaders". However the fact they don't seem to realise this backs up your assertion that we are fucked.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Yeah, yeah by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #47 Thu May 17, 2012 at 08:46:05 AM EST
It's funny how when Bush was president, it was the goddamn apocalypse for everybody on the left, but now that Obama is president it's "well, it doesn't really matter, they're all in the pockets of big business".  Does it matter or doesn't it?

You might also consider the possibility that the reason we don't elect a candidate that would make the radical left happy isn't because every candidate is in the pockets of some evil corporate conspiracy, but because the majority of Americans realize that while our system doesn't do much to try and foster economic equality, we have great overall economic performance (which benefits everybody, on average) specifically because everybody is scrambling to try and make a living and get a leg up on one another.  In other words, we've looked around the world and decided we'd rather live in America than in Greece.  Or Venezuela.  Or France.

Look, I work at a startup.  I only have a job because a bunch of rich guys are trying to get richer.  I would rather not put the brakes on that.

I would rather live in France actually by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #48 Fri May 18, 2012 at 06:50:20 AM EST
But the cost of exit is too high.  Emigration is a young person's game.  Or a retiree.  Not someone in mid-life with a family.

---------------
My polling place by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun May 13, 2012 at 10:47:13 PM EST
has cookies. Yummy, yummy cookies. Homemade cookies that are so cheap you feel guilty. Cookies*.

Wumpus

* Biscuits to you heathen subjects of the Queen. Also no cookies in the primary, apparently not enough traffic.

Seems like a poll violation there by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon May 14, 2012 at 06:06:04 AM EST
Luring people into polling places with the promise of reward.  I think that's illegal.

---------------
The school where I vote by ana (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon May 14, 2012 at 06:40:02 AM EST
regularly has a bake sale right outside the gym where the actual voting takes place.

not sure by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #36 Tue May 15, 2012 at 04:19:56 PM EST
if they're not affiliated with any specific candidate, I don't know if it's illegal.
---------
Marxism and class warfare! by Herring (4.00 / 2) #14 Mon May 14, 2012 at 09:49:37 AM EST
How dare you have a go at the guy just because he's an overpriviledged over-entitled prick? Don't you realise he's a vital job creator? OK, I suppose with being an asset-stripping arsehole he's actually a job destroyer but my point still stands.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Of course he's a job creator by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon May 14, 2012 at 06:18:43 PM EST
Someone has to clean the pool.

---------------
I think Santorum would have had a better chance by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon May 14, 2012 at 02:13:57 PM EST
as his populism would go over well. In the meantime, Romney keeps running hard right to please the fundy base.

Romney was always the nominee by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon May 14, 2012 at 06:18:17 PM EST

He was the candidate of the elite and the Republican elite wasn't going to leave it to chance.  Of course it also helps that none of the less ridiculous GOP politicians wanted to run against Obama.  They're waiting for 2012 and Hillary.

---------------
There were some decent GOP names in the race by lm (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon May 14, 2012 at 06:44:30 PM EST
Huntsman and Pawlenty come to mind.

Part of the equation is just chance. Some of the rising stars in the GOP (e.g. Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, et cetera) feel the need to build their resumes up before taking the plunge.

Of course, like you mention, not wanting to take on an incumbent president is also part of the equation.

And another part is not wanting to take on Romney in the primary. Romney ducked out of 2008 early to get the GOP power structure in his court. Taking on Romney would have meant taking on the powers that be of the party. This makes waiting until 2016 or 2020 look like a good choice, especially for young rising stars.

Cicero, The Republic
I know, the GOP is very hierarchical by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue May 15, 2012 at 06:57:15 AM EST
and he paid his dues.

What I'm curious about by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue May 15, 2012 at 08:16:13 AM EST
Is really what the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" Tea Partiers next move is.

---------------
this election was over a long time ago. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue May 15, 2012 at 02:27:21 AM EST
as soon as pawlenty dropped out and a few other guys decided not to get in, the election was over.

romney is a formerly moderate republican with a history of positions that turn off the republican base. he is mormon, which is a problem for a lot of republicans, particularly of the southern persuasion -- without whom republicans cannot come close to winning a national election. i predict it will turn out to be a problem for others as well. it's a damn weird religion.

on the other hand, he's someone who comes out of a background of old money and made quite a bit of money doing exactly the kind of shit most people consider to be the cause of the american economy's current woes. he's rich as hell and is exactly the kind of rich guy voters have a problem with. on top of that, he's got a weird personality and he's up against probably the strongest political personality in the u.s. since bill clinton.

mitt romney is going to get stomped in this election. even if the economy goes to hell.

He is going to lose by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue May 15, 2012 at 06:52:16 AM EST
But the Republicans and conservatives will vote for him regardless because the other choice is Obama.  And they hate Obama. They might sit at home, but I don't think so.  They'll vote because they hate.  Hate won't get them to be grass roots active.  Except the Tea Party, but they're lukewarm over Romney.

He does have nice hair.  And he keeps himself clean.  Nice teeth too.

---------------
the only person the GOP hates more than Romney... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #38 Tue May 15, 2012 at 04:45:21 PM EST
...is Obama, that's for sure. And while the GOP base might be a bit shifty about Romney, he does have a bit more of the moderate appeal, especially if, as he will most certainly do, he makes a hard reroute (Etch-a-Sketch) toward the center after nailing down the nomination. I think this is a bit more of a contest than some people might think, though I definitely don't think Romney has enough on him to unseat Obama. But, hey, we kind of thought Kerry could beat Bush because of how terrible Bush was, so we should never misunderestimate the draw of the GOP. "In your heart, you know he's right," has a surprising appeal.

It will be closer than people think by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #42 Wed May 16, 2012 at 06:33:25 AM EST

The thing will be how much the progressives and liberals decide to get involved.  If they decide to sit it out, then President Romney gets elected.  And there's every likelihood they will sit it out and "let someone else do the work."  That's part of how Scott Brown became a US Senator.  Massachusetts Democrats were lukewarm over Martha Coakley so they didn't lift a finger to help her.  That and Coakley was a horrible, horrible candidate on her own.

---------------
ROMNEYBOT 2012 HAS BEEN DISPATCHED TO YOUR NETWORK by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue May 15, 2012 at 10:09:08 AM EST
DO NOT RESIST

HAVE YOU HEARD OF JOSEPH SMITH !? by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue May 15, 2012 at 01:47:15 PM EST

tell me more about "JOSEPH SMITH !?" by nathan (4.00 / 1) #28 Tue May 15, 2012 at 01:51:01 PM EST

well, the way i understand it, by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue May 15, 2012 at 02:15:19 PM EST
he was a 19th century grifter turned religious prophet who took in a number of country folk under the pretense of having received some heiroglyphically inscribed gold tablets from an angel. he went on to found a religion whose doctrines may or may not have been designed to appropriate his followers' wives.

so you're saying that this particular batch of by nathan (4.00 / 1) #31 Tue May 15, 2012 at 02:39:01 PM EST
Fables, delusions, and brazen lies is too fresh to be worthy of veneration?

not enough mystery there. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue May 15, 2012 at 03:36:21 PM EST
a figure like joseph smith needs a lot more mystery than he has, i think.

he could translate ancient Egyptian by nathan (2.00 / 0) #33 Tue May 15, 2012 at 03:41:42 PM EST

That's pretty mysterious. He probably knew all kinds of mysterious stuff about the Pyramids.

He became a Mason by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #34 Tue May 15, 2012 at 03:43:50 PM EST
So that he could borrow liberally from Masonic ritual in creating the Mormon rituals.  A lot of the Mormon symbology was taken straight from Masonry too.

---------------
this is correct by nathan (4.00 / 1) #39 Tue May 15, 2012 at 04:53:51 PM EST
My research confirms this, and also that he carried an occult talisman of Jupiter.

I love those comics by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #43 Wed May 16, 2012 at 06:41:11 AM EST
But the Masonry and the symbolism is true and I didn't get it from Chick comics.  I'm rather familiar with Masonic symbology.

---------------
indeed, using his seer stones. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #35 Tue May 15, 2012 at 03:45:46 PM EST
this practice, it turns out, is less mysterious than it sounds.

so say you by nathan (2.00 / 0) #37 Tue May 15, 2012 at 04:44:08 PM EST
But how can I believe you when you're not talking through your hat?

As far as I understand it by Herring (4.00 / 2) #40 Tue May 15, 2012 at 05:03:05 PM EST
The GOP candidates were:

One guy who thought it was OK to have 4 wives one after the other (maybe slight overlaps).

One guy who thought it was OK to just have one wife but only in the vagina with no birth-control and she wasn't allowed to work.

Four wives at the same time providing you could afford it.

Plus some crazies.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Don't forget dumber than Bush, gold standard by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #44 Wed May 16, 2012 at 09:31:28 AM EST
and "Those gays are horrible, for some reason they keep approaching my husband talking about highway rest stops they shared."

Standard Pablum | 48 comments (48 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback