Print Story A cunning plan succeeds
Books
By georgeha (Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 02:41:09 PM EST) discworld, Civ, dystopia, beer (all tags)
and breaks my plan to ration Pratchett.

Plus The Hunger Games, Civ III, a winter without sledding, Rauchbier, Archer and less!

Poll: Favorite witch?

It's been a long time since I've diarized, and this isn't really the boredom inducing catchup diary that it could be. You'll have to wait for my best of 2011, and all the books and movies and shows and games I've consumed in the first four months of 2012.

I knew fifteen year old would like discworld novels, which made getting her to read them difficult, because what fashionable teen wants to read books her dad, and her friend's geeky dad (the Solaris admin) loves? I had to make plans, which involved a used copy of The Wee Free Men, the Beginning. I got it, reread the first two Tiffany Aching novels, talked about them, and waited. After a few weeks her desire to read something new overcame her reluctance to read a book her dad recommended. Hooked.

She then wanted Wintersmith, the third Aching book. I bought it for her, hid it until she emailed her weekly AP World History essay, and gave it to her. She read it in a day or two and handed it to me. I finished it a few days ago, it's good. Tiffany is 13, and in the mountains becomes entangled with the changing of the seasons. It's mostly told in flashback, and it's full of Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and the Feegles. Tiffany is becoming a young woman, and Roland becomes more fleshed out, too.

She then wanted the most recent Aching book, I Shall Wear Midnight, which she finished a few days ago, and I finished yesterday. So yeah, two discworld novels in less than week, so much for rationing. It was good. It may be the last Aching book.

Now she's struggling through Men at Arms, and The Wee Free Men is at newspaper_girl's, though her dad may read it first.

In other juvenilia, I read The Hunger Games, a year after fifteen year old and a few months before ten year old. A few weeks ago I took ten year to see The Hunger Games. I was a little bothered that Peeta wasn't at death's door at the end of the movie, but it was an acceptable adaptation. I'm not sure if Katniss is supposed to fire an arrow with the arrow on the inside of her bow though, the few times I shot an arrow I kept the arrow on the outside.

What do you call The Hunger Games in France? Battle Royale with cheese.

Catching Fire and Mockingjay are next in my reading queue, thought ten year old is still reading Mockingjay.

In other Jennifer Lawrence movie news, I kept Winter's Bone in the Netflix queue, in case fifteen year old wants to watch it. It is good, and there are lots of parallels between the two movies.

In other Netflix news, Archer has become favorite means of obtaining a laugh at night, when everyone is in bed.

In gaming news, tactics that work in Civ don't work in Civ III: Conquests, and a humungous mapped 8 player (three hotseat) game really stresses the gig of ram in my old Emac, and has revealed several hot seat bugs. It's still engrossing, thanks garlic.

It wasn't much of a winter, despite a last minute noreastern. I shoveled a handful of times, and did not go sledding.

In beer news, my kit Rauchbier was not very smokey, but it was tasty. It's nearly gone, but I have one last batch of lager (Helles IIRC) to keg. It's almost ale season.

In work news, the best news is fifteen year old passed her lifeguarding course. She can now get a summer job and see just how long it takes her to earn a $15 iTunes gift card.

< Wheels, cream puffs and other delicious things | f--- i cocked up that project >
A cunning plan succeeds | 46 comments (46 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hunger Games by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 03:18:27 PM EST
Katniss is nocking the arrow properly (inside the bow, face side).  And she actually held the arrow properly too.  It was pretty clear they had someone who knew what they were doing teach her.

Why didn't my gym teacher catch that by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 03:41:25 PM EST
when I shot a few arrows in high school?

I heard on NPR... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #39 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 05:51:46 PM EST
...that her archery trainer is the #1 female archer going tinto the Olympics. That having been said, Geena Davis might have been just as good a choice...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Oh yeah, WIPO too by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 03:23:52 PM EST
Carol Kane

Get back witch.
 I'm not a witch, I'm your wife.

no, no, that's Connie Booth ... by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 03:54:56 PM EST

WIPO: Scarlet by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 03:52:48 PM EST

rauchbier by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 04:45:38 PM EST
i had a rauchbier a few months back. it was like drinking a ham. maybe they smoked the barley next to a ham. could've done with more smoke/malt flavor and less meat.

also, i didn't realize you could play civ III with emacs now. there's a major mode for you.

OS X has lots of extras by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 06:23:01 PM EST
you can play nethack in vi, for example.

Rauchbier by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 09:34:25 PM EST
I have a bunch of Victory's Otto, a smoked Belgian style dubbel. Like drinking a campfire. So smokey and good, but will knock you on your ass if you drink the whole 750ml.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
I'll have to look for that by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 07:17:42 AM EST
since I've never come across a commercial Rauchbier, I have no idea what they're supposed to taste like.

the canonical commercial example by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #41 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 09:09:15 PM EST
i'd say is schlenkerla, which is the one i had. i've never heard of a smoked belgian ale, but i do like dubbels (though i like triples better). i'll have to try this stuff too if i can find it.

you're welcome. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 04:58:52 PM EST

an Itunes card? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 06:59:58 PM EST
Should be able to get 2 at that price on a nice hot day.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
$15 is the cheapest I see at the stores by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 07:16:18 AM EST

Lifeguarding by miker2 (4.00 / 2) #11 Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 09:38:22 PM EST
was the best and easiest $10/hour (in 1995-1997) I've ever made.

The best thing I ever did was to get myself on substitute lists at every apartment complex, country club, etc. in the area so I could get extra hours.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
That's a good tip by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 07:12:43 AM EST
I'll pass it on.

added bonus by gzt (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 09:57:50 AM EST
you might just save somebody's life.

the life you save may be by nathan (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 10:30:44 AM EST
That of some random person.

Who fifteen year old would probably find annoying by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 10:36:22 AM EST

Maybe she'll save the life of by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 11:40:37 AM EST
That hot 16 year old guy who has a car.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

or an iPad by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #32 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 12:01:06 PM EST
this younger generation doesn't care about cars as much.

even in your city? by nathan (2.00 / 0) #33 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 02:06:49 PM EST
I bought my first car when I moved there, because transit would have cost me more of my time than I had free time. I love transit, but I just couldn't do it there.

I'm guessing you didn't have your parents driving by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #34 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 02:15:06 PM EST
you around. I don't think fifteen year old appreciates how hard it is to get around without a car.

If a car has always just "been there," by nathan (2.00 / 0) #35 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 03:22:06 PM EST
I can imagine it's easy to take it for granted.

I didn't bike much when I was there, but the suburbs seem so disconnected from the city and from one another that I can't imagine biking much. I mean, Pittsford to Greece by bike? o_O

btw, looking at an aerial map, it by nathan (2.00 / 0) #36 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 03:24:18 PM EST
Kind of looks like prewar Poland, with Lake St. playing the role of the Gdansk corridor between Greece and Irondequoit.

Pittsford to Greece? Why? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #37 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 03:33:45 PM EST
That's a tough one to imagine.

She's hoping to get a job at the Y about 8 blocks from us, and the health club where Mrs. Ha used to work is a short bike ride away. The pool where she went for swim club is a longer bike ride, but still easily doable.

I used to work in both by nathan (2.00 / 0) #38 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 04:39:13 PM EST
While living downtown. Sometimes I had to go directly from one to the other.

WIPO by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 12:40:49 AM EST
Gillian 'Gil' Holroyd

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

WIPO by Herring (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 09:12:27 AM EST
Michelle Bachmann.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I think she's more of a fairy by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 09:17:33 AM EST

No, that's her husband. by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #18 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 09:34:49 AM EST

She is very concerned about lesbians by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 10:11:09 AM EST
and always worrying about lesbians cornering her in an isolated bathroom, forcing her to do unnatural things.

I have that dream too [n/t] by Herring (4.00 / 6) #26 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 11:09:01 AM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Really? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #40 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 07:02:32 PM EST
What unnatural things does the lesbian do to her in your dreams?

Are they putting ketchup on an egg sandwich, or maybe turning up late for a job interview?

I think the witch by barooo (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 10:25:22 AM EST
Was Christine O'Donnel.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
She is not a witch by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 10:27:16 AM EST
just a repressed, messed up fundy, who would probably be a lot of fun in the sack, once you put a ring on it.

I'm not usually one to judge by lm (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 11:19:33 AM EST
But she admitted on television that she not only "dabbled in witchcraft" but also had fun on a Satanic altar prior to wedlock.

What more evidence do you need to burn her?

Cicero, The Republic
She has to float in water. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 11:42:21 AM EST
With a carrot tied to her face.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

She turned me into a NewT. by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #42 Thu Apr 26, 2012 at 10:04:10 AM EST

Ah. My bad. by Herring (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 11:08:13 AM EST
You are right.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Poll needs to be multi-select by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 11:37:43 AM EST
Can't choose just one...

10 year old is reading Hunger Games? Seems a bit intense for that age. (Said the guy who devoured Dune in one sitting at 12.)

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Have you watched kids anime? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 11:56:47 AM EST
In Avatar, you have a whole group of people (Airbenders) ethnically cleansed by the Fire Nation, which then proceeds to ruthlessly conquer the world.

Then there's Pokemon, where humans capture wild animals and force them to fight each other, in between being kept in suspended animation via Pokeballs.

When you get to kids literature, like Narnia. Even worse.

Witch by johnny (2.00 / 0) #43 Thu Apr 26, 2012 at 10:48:41 PM EST
I was going to write in Glenda -- she plays it straight, but I'm pretty sure she's got a kinky side -- until I saw Hermione. After that, what choice did I have?

I've only read one Terry Pratchett, and the video games I've ever played are Lunar Lander, Donky Kong, Mario, and Tetris. Please don't telly anybody, because I would get and F-fo-Fail at Husi, and might be asked to leave.

What, no Agnes Nutter in the poll? by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #44 Fri Apr 27, 2012 at 07:42:56 AM EST
She's got to be my favorite witch, just because when the witchfinders and the villagers burned her, she loaded her pockets with gunpowder and shrapnel. Plus, she really enjoyed screwing with her descendants and the lawyers she left her manuscript with. She was a total badass.
I forgot all about her by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #45 Fri Apr 27, 2012 at 09:50:48 AM EST
which is odd, because I suggested fifteen year old use Good Omens as proof that Pratchett was worth reading. Her pals really like Dr. Who, Gaiman wrote The Doctor's Wife episode, and Gaimain cow-rote Good Omens with Pratchett.

WIPO by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #46 Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 12:03:15 AM EST
I like Serafina Pekkala, she has the best witch name.

A cunning plan succeeds | 46 comments (46 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback