Print Story US Length Car Commute
Cars
By jump the ladder (Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 08:24:45 AM EST) (all tags)
At UKIan petrol prices =

Ouch...

Poll: cost of your weekly commute?

I like driving in my car

So no longer does my commute consist of reading a paper/book on the train for a hour but now I have to drive 84 miles per day to get to an office via a very congested motorway. At least it's a reverse commute as I'm heading way from London in the morning peak and towards London in evening peak. It can take anywhere from 45 mins to 2 hours to do each leg so I set off at 7AM  in the morning as the traffic is tolerable.

it's not quite a Jaguar

The Alfa is holding up quite well as it's over 11 years old and is way past the time for new a cam belt etc. Despite having only a 1.8 four pot, it's not that economical as it's a revvy 16v unit. The cost of a weeks fuel is £90 ($144) . I don't know how that compares as I assume US drivers fill up more as they tend to have less economical motors but I'm sure this is steep...

< Attn: UKian programmer infidels! | who wants to live deliberately? >
US Length Car Commute | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
$25/week for da bus. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:05:57 AM EST

You can't handle my complete attention.

How far is the bus stop by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:15:21 AM EST
From ur trailer?

isn't by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:53:07 AM EST
the point of a trailer the fact that you can move it close to the things you care about?
-- The revolution will not be televised.

Trailer? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 10:02:45 AM EST
Can't keep many sex slaves in a trailer, mate.

You can't handle my complete attention.

Unless they're midgets, and stackable. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #21 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 01:04:24 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Roughly nine US gallons a week by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:19:28 AM EST
My commute is about 125 miles a week, and my Windstar has terrible gas mileage.

All the more incentive to get my 50+ mpg vehicle on the road.

$20/week. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:20:00 AM EST
20 miles each way, reverse commute from Falls Church to Chantilly, driving a 40 MPG car.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Depends what you factor in by Herring (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:26:24 AM EST
Admittedly the car has probably depreciated almost as much as it's going to, but even without that, there's insurance, servicing etc.

Monthly, I'd break it down to:
Fuel: £90
Parking: £95
Insurance, servicing, shit like that: £100

This is all a good argument for cycling in more. But even the maddest people wouldn't consider your distance cyclable.

Is there any way you could do it my Brompton*/Train?

*Other folding cycles are available.

I think there are two ways in which people are controlled. First of all frighten people and secondly, demoralize them - ANW Benn

20 min bike ride by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:52:18 AM EST
1 hour 10 on the train
20 min bike ride?

Car's a lot quicker mostly unless the M4 is totally fucked up.

Hmm by Herring (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 10:06:19 AM EST
Is it hard for you to get to Paddington? There used to be fast trains from there going out West.

But yeah, a PITA.

100 weeks' petrol at the money is enough to buy a G-Whiz. You might look like a helmet, but think about the money ...

Where I live in SW London by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 10:18:45 AM EST
Takes 50 mins to get to  Paddington. Anyway I'm not doing this long term.

Commute by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:29:01 AM EST
My weekly commute is approximately
140 miles Monday
40 miles Tue, Wed, Thur
140 miles Friday
===============
400 miles total

At least I get 45p a mile expenses, but as (like you?) I'm a contractor and own the company I work for its offset against my gross income. Its annoying that petrol has gone up like a rocket and these rates haven't changed much in donkeys years.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL

3 bucks a day in bus fare by lm (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:57:42 AM EST
$1.50 each way.

Cicero, The Republic

weekly commute? by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:58:25 AM EST
2x1mi per day, 5-6 days a week will be 5-6mi. I'm burning about a pair of Doc Martens (~$100) per year and a pair tires for the bike about every two years (~$200/2yr)...

So I suppose that makes my commute about $4-5 per week.
-- The revolution will not be televised.

$16 by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 10:07:48 AM EST
If I just drive from home to the office it's 6 miles one way, but I rarely do that what with the gym, rehearsals, grocery shopping, etc.  Being very conservative I'd say I drive 100 miles a week for my commuting, which works out to about 4 gallons of gas a week, and therefore $16/week.  I'm probably on the very low end for your average working Houstonian, but with no kids and no plans for kids, I didn't feel compelled to flee to the suburbs in order to have access to better schools.

About 10 miles one way by ana (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 10:22:39 AM EST
And we carpool. I fill up my 10 gallon tank a bit more often than once a month, for 35 or 40 dollars.

Mine isn't bad. by technician (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 10:49:05 AM EST
It's so not bad, I don't pay attention to it. It's 16 to 20 miles a day depending on the route I use, apparently. My TDI averages 38mpg (I have a heavy foot; it's been more like 40mpg this week), and my commute it the bulk of my driving.

One of the guys here at work lives in a little town 40 miles away, via one of the worst highways we have for traffic. If he wants to avoid the heaviest traffic, he takes an extra 12 miles. So, 104 miles a day.  His transportation of choice? A 2003 Ford F-350 King Ranch Super Duty pickup. Gets about 11mpg. He and I are two of the five diesels at work.

Actually, our parking lot here reflects our user base pretty well: one Volt, one Leaf, a raft of Priuses, and a selection of midlife crises with a smattering of lift-kitted giant-wheeled overblown monster trucks. Oh, and one ex-military Mercedes.

USizicstanian mileage rate is $0.555/mile by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 11:39:48 AM EST
So about $83/week including the jaunt to the gym after work twice a week.  $64/week ignoring the gym.

That's supposed to cover wear and tear, maintenance, insurance, etc., so fuel is less than a third of that.

I fill up once/month by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 11:41:21 AM EST
But I ride the train to work, so my driving commute is 2 miles each way to the train station then an hour on the train.

The train pass is $190/month, $125 of which is paid pre-tax.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS

Costs by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 11:56:30 AM EST
Train is $10/day.  Driving is 1.25 gallons/day* (say around $6 right now) + $4 bridge toll.  These days I mostly drive as it is faster.

I drive a Prius and average just over 45 mpg.  It's a 55 mile round trip, or thereabouts.

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Working from home by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 11:58:28 AM EST
I fill 2x a month (maybe every 10+ days) for running LO around and such.

When I was commuting 25mins each way, I think it was around every 5 days or so, but the Beemer does better longer distances.

monthly pass by gzt (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 02:32:56 PM EST
is like $86 or something. so 21.50, but it covers 90% of my other travel, too. and it's pre-tax.

If I drove... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 07:05:15 PM EST
...it'd be maybe 8 miles each way, so a little more than half a gallon in the city. 2.5 gallons times maybe $4.50 yields $13.50 in gas. Plus $170-ish per month in parking with the discount. The drive might take longer than the train, too, because of traffic. So... definitely taking the train.

$5? by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 02:34:56 PM EST
6 miles roundtrip, 30 miles a week. This is umm, much shorter than my historical norm.

Let's see. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 10:55:56 PM EST
My T-pass (includes subways and buses, unlimited rides) is around $60/month,  that's pretax dollars. I fill up my car about every 2 months or so on average, at a cost of about $40. I almost never drive my car to work, though - I just use it for groceries or on the occasional trip to the suburbs. So I guess my commute works out to about $15/week, give or take, since I also use my T pass to go other places besides work.

Total gas money spent by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Apr 20, 2012 at 08:06:29 AM EST
At current prices, would be about $30/week.  That includes all family activities since my car is the primary transport, and the wife will steal it if I leave it sitting in the driveway.

€12.50/week for da bus. by brokkr (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Apr 20, 2012 at 11:30:39 AM EST
I have a fairly cheap work ticket that'll allow me (plus another adult if travelling after 7pm or on week-ends) on any train, tram or bus within the greater Cologne/Bonn area.
Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn, at aldrei deyr: dómr um dau∂an hvern.

$80 - $100 US per week by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 09:05:31 PM EST
My round trip daily commute is 124 miles.  I get $20 USD at a pop four or five times a week.  Time spent in car is 150 to 180 minutes per day depending on traffic and my attitude.

---------------