Print Story The World's Biggest Biplane
Technology
By wiredog (Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 04:24:04 PM EST) (all tags)
My office is under the landing path for Dulles Airport, a few miles away, so had awesome views of the Shuttle as it was delivered. First pass around 10:00, then they flew around DC, second pass around 11:15, then they landed right after.

Pictures here.

< stuffing things. also: ChiHuSiMeet! | Never been so far away from home >
The World's Biggest Biplane | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Great pics! by clock (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 07:34:54 PM EST
But it makes me quite sad.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yeah. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 10:02:03 PM EST
Maybe, someday, we'll have manned spaceflight again.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Dragon by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Apr 18, 2012 at 04:02:28 PM EST
Due to launch to the ISS on the 30th. Unmanned and without full life support still, but alledgedly several items on the countdown check list are along the lines of "Where is Elon Musk?" and "Has anyone actually seen Elon in the flesh in the last five minutes?".

Yeah, I think private manned spaceflight ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Apr 22, 2012 at 01:40:19 PM EST
... will happen within the next 5 or 10 years.

WIthin 5 to 10 years after that, the US federal government will be back in the manned spaceflight business for security reasons.

Cicero, The Republic
I knew about the 2nd pass... by belldandi (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 08:09:49 PM EST
but I was unable to go outside to look at it; poo-poo on conference calls that one is required to talk in.

-Tammie

At the other end of time by Herring (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Apr 18, 2012 at 06:27:22 AM EST
They were transporting the shuttle Enterprise to/from an airshow in 1983 and they stopped to refuel at the airbase near us. They took a load of us out of school to go and see it.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Ooops, wrong acc^^^continent. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Apr 18, 2012 at 08:59:21 AM EST

Funnily enough by Herring (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Apr 18, 2012 at 09:00:49 AM EST
that was one of the emergency landing sites for shuttle missons cos the runway is extra long. For that reason it also got used for Concorde testing.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I visited a Concorde a couple of years back. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Apr 18, 2012 at 10:17:38 AM EST
Pretty fucking cramped on the inside.

Less cramped by Herring (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Apr 18, 2012 at 10:35:16 AM EST
than an SR71 - which was the only other production aircraft capable of cruising at that speed.

I remember a temping job in a postroom when I was young. Sometimes we used to send urgent parcels to the HQ in the US by Concorde so they'd get there the same business day.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

I have close-up Blackbird pics on Bookface. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 18, 2012 at 08:17:05 PM EST
It was a sweet ride.

At the smithsonian by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:30:30 AM EST
you can get a good look straight on that thing. It is shocking just how small the frontal profile is (I was guessing miata sized, including the wings). No frontal area, good Cd, engines always on afterburner (special fuel said to cost as much as "good scotch whiskey") and an entire plane made out of unobtanium make me wonder if any plane will ever go faster.

Wumpus

If there was the will by Herring (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:37:24 AM EST
BA, at the end were actually making a small profit on their Concorde operations.

Given the advances in engine effeciency in recent years, I would've thought that it would be possible to build a larger, quieter, cheaper to run modern version. Not sure that the will is there though. You would have to get around the "no supersonic over land" thing that caused a lot of the commercial problems.

The idea that you could sit at 60,000 feet travelling at 1,350mph in a t-shirt and jeans drinking a beer ...

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky