Print Story A Modest Proposal: ChiHuSiMeet sometime in May?
Husi Stock
By gzt (Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 02:01:40 PM EST) gzt, husimeetup, husistock, chihusimeet (all tags)
Or maybe June. July.

We should have a HuSi gathering here in the Second City some time before August (when I depart the city).

Airing the motion here to see if anybody is up for it and has strong opinions about dates, times, locations, that sort of thing.

however: NOT ANY TIME NEAR MAY 20-21. the NATO summit will muck things up.

Nothing too heavy, a casual affair. There are plenty of locals and a few nearby people. Distant and perhaps international travelers would, of course, be enthusiastically welcomed, but I'm not thinking of doing anything intense enough to inspire that unless you're really into HuSiMeetups or really want an excuse to visit this lovely city. I mean, it's not the Lord High Hulver's wedding or even a big barbecue.

Possible events:
hang out chez gzt for a while and drink heavily (we could play Viktory II)
hang out by the lake and drink heavily
Ferris Bueller it
Blues Brothers it
hang out chez some other area HuSite and drink heavily
we can leave out the drinking heavily, actually, if we must

I feel like it would work a little better if I had a backyard of sorts instead of just a porch (a nice porch), but chez gzt works quite well if we want it.

I know I've floated these ideas before and there was some traction, but they came to nothing. I think it was a matter of my not really having the time and money to throw something together, maybe I was getting married or something? And there was a Chicago HusiMeet years ago, but I was away for the summer because I was still in school (or something like that).

< Whine List 2.0 | not a lot to say >
A Modest Proposal: ChiHuSiMeet sometime in May? | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm in by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 02:13:43 PM EST
I'd have to make childcare arrangements but I'd be in. It's only a couple hours away. Since we'd be driving in we'd probably need to stay somewhere outside the city, because parking SUCKS.
---------
I'm probably in by barooo (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 02:16:28 PM EST
for some sort of shenanigans.  But not sure how extensive, probably won't be able to make extensive arrangements.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
whatever ends up getting planned... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 02:26:23 PM EST
...there's probably going to be at least one event (even if the ChiHusiMeetup has only one event) where you can just drop in for an hour and say "hey". probably on like a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

but yeah, i suppose one option in the poll... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 02:37:31 PM EST
...would have been to ask if we'd like this to be a big event or just meeting up some place for drinks. I'm thinking an event, though we can also discuss just meeting up, too.

Chicago's a breeze for me, but by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 02:54:49 PM EST
I'm thinking I'll be at the end of my travel rope since I'll have just gotten back from Yerp chaperoning three women who do not necessarily like each other. So, I'll probably pass. Sorry.

Wait, what? by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 05:09:57 PM EST
What's the story behind the chaperoning?
I'd say by garlic (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 03:00:43 PM EST
have it during one of the chicago summer festivals, but I think Rahm is only hosting NATO as a summer festival this year.

Would love to! by LoppEar (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 04:15:40 PM EST
I've been thinking along the same lines, as I slowly realize how many there actually are in Chicago and that we haven't tried to meet in person since that one... that was 8 years ago I believe. Cripes.

That said, summer weekends are pretty thin for me. May 11-12 could work. Or June 22-23. Or a Friday night in July. I'm starting to see why I never got around to proposing one of these.

But if one of those days works, I'm entirely in. Your house, possibly my apt (also mostly porch although it's a six-flat with a square of shared grass), or grilling at the lake all sound good.

If it's all the same, I'd prefer to leave the heavy drinking in, we are in the midwest after all.

too bad. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 07:51:00 PM EST
planning to protest the nato summit, but won't be in town except those two days.

My wife's been by technician (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 10:56:57 PM EST
bugging me to go to Chicago for a long damn time, so we may be able to do it, but it would be very brief for us...a weekend at best.

I'm so jealous by purr (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 12:07:59 AM EST
Me in my little south-eastern corner of USA.

Ya'll have fun and then write lots of stuff about it. No blackmailing, that's just not nice.

;)
Life is good when you are young. Then it sucks when you are old. And then you die. Live it while you got it.