Print Story The new wheels.
Cycling
By wiredog (Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 02:32:28 PM EST) (all tags)
After a few weeks of riding I can report that my ass isn't as well padded as I thought it was.

Pictures inside.

It's a Trek 7.2 FX. Same model the local police use. No idea what the difference between a regular 7.2 and the fx is. 21 speeds but I only use the middle sprocket up front unless I'm going up a really steep hill. And it jumps if I use the lowest gear. So I really use it as a 6 speed, with optional 7th uphill gear. Free tune-up at one month, and twice in the next year, from the shop I got it at. The shop, conveniently, is about 30 yards from where the trail I ride crosses Rt 123 in Vienna. It was a movie theater in the pre-multiplex days. I saw "Young Frankenstein" there. Got a nice bright flashy LED lamp on the front, and another in the back, so I can ride on roads at night. Plus a reflective vest. Also got a rack and a bag to go on it so I can carry a repair kit, wallet, keys, etc. Helmet so that I have a better chance if all the lights don't work. All told, I've spent about a $1000 on it so far.

This is one of my usual rides. Fairly easy once I'm past I-66, but the climb up Virginia Lane, or from the other side, is rough. This is another. More hills, but none as steep. So both are equally painful. Takes about half an hour each way. This weekend I added a bit of riding around Vienna and McLean to the rides. So probably 10 miles each day. Trying to do these rides 4 times a week, and shorter ones the other three days.

Started a ride from Falls Church to Ballston on Thursday but at the halfway point I realized I'd been steadily going downhill the whole way and turned around. Not ready for the steady uphill of the return trip yet.

Tried out actual biking shorts today. Not sure what, if any, advantage they have over a $10 jockstrap, since I haven't been having chafing issues yet. I'm too old and too fat to wear spandex openly. Seen some amazing things on the W & OD trail. Really, it's nice that we're all getting in shape, but spandex only looks good if you're already in shape. If you're as out of shape as some of us are, well, I wear regular shorts over the riding shorts. The weather today is mid-70°sF, and sunny, so the trail was crowded. Walkers, joggers, bikers of various sorts traveling at various speeds.

Starting to think about motorcycles now...

< While the sun shines | Pinky: "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" >
The new wheels. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dude by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 04:30:39 PM EST
I am not a cyclist by any means but that seat has NO PADDING. My ass would be sore riding on that too.
The seat is wrong. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 05:08:19 PM EST
That saddle looks like a racing saddle - not a trail or street saddle.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Yeah, a new saddle is on the list. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 09:55:16 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

You either need to... by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 03:55:05 AM EST
Move that rear reflector off the seat post and onto the bracket at the back of the pannier rack, or get a second one on the rack. It's obscured by the bag where it is.

It clips on the bag at night. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 09:56:59 AM EST
I looked at hanging it on the pannier, but I'd have to get a piece of angle bracketing that fits, and the bolts, and some loctite so that it all doesn't vibrate off.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Hmmm by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 11:04:35 AM EST
Isn't that a bracket for one hanging down at the back of the rack?

But the light attaches by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 12:27:07 PM EST
transversely. It's designed to hang on a tube, from a clamp. So I need an angle bracket to connect.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Oh by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 03:19:55 PM EST
That's the light and not a reflector then?  In that case fit a reflector on the rack permanently, you will get home one night and find the battery in the lamp went just after you set off...

Point of Sale... by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 10:57:12 AM EST
Was it Spokes? That was the first shop I looked at when I went to buy bikes for my son and I; I ended up buying bikes back up in PA though (and a trailer hitch and a hitch rack). Overall though I liked Spokes, and hope to do business with them in the future. If this wasn't the place, where did you go; I'd prefer to support a smaller shop in the area.

FX purchase by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 11:04:31 AM EST
Your bike looked awfully similar to mine; enough that I just double-checked. I bought a 2011 model clearance FX, not sure what the model # is though. The saddles are similar, and I have to say I don't find the darn thing very comfortable.

Yep. Spokes. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 12:28:37 PM EST
They seem a bit pricier than other places I've been to, especially for accessories, but have much better customer service. Not the place to go if you know exactly what you want, but good if you need some advice on where to start.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Huh by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Apr 18, 2012 at 12:08:59 PM EST
I have a Cannondale Quick 5 (2011) and it looks amazingly similar to your bike.  http://www.cannondale.com/2012-quick-5-21008  Mine is even pretty much the exact same color as yours, unlike the photo in the link.

I guess in that price range and mission category the designs pretty much converge.

Convergent Evolution by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Apr 18, 2012 at 02:23:17 PM EST
Like the shapes of sharks and dolphins.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Also airplanes by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 18, 2012 at 02:29:56 PM EST
E.g. the Tecnam P2010: http://www.tecnam.com/it-it/notizie/5/announcingthearrivalofthetecnamp2010.aspx

They did a clean-sheet modern design for a four-place high-wing single engine monoplane suitable for the training market and they basically ended up with a Cessna 172, which is like 60 years old.

The new wheels. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback