Print Story productivity drop
By clover kicker (Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 10:53:25 AM EST) (all tags)
Last summer, a lightning storm fried my home PC's motherboard. I did a quick mobo swap, and Ubuntu was perfectly happy. Vista of course refused to boot.

I knew that Ubuntu did almost everything I need except for games, and that re-installing Vista + drivers + apps + games would be a 3 day ordeal. There was lots of work to be done outside and lots of light in the evenings, so I made a conscious choice to leave my system gameless for a few months.

Last week I broke down, grabbed a relatively recent used mobo and a Win7 license and rebuilt a gaming PC.

I gotta say that Ubuntu is fantastic. Did everything I need. Web, email, photo editing, music/video, no problem. The whining about Unity is epic, but to me it's good enough. Once upon a time I spent hours customizing my GUI environments but it's always wiped away by the next upgrade, and you're not going to bother customizing at work, and I end up doing stuff on other people's machines, and really it's the apps and not the goddamn menubar that matters. These days I take the fucking defaults and learn to love the bomb. I'm down to exactly one customization -  the terminal/CMD window is lime green text on black background, the way %DEITY% intended.

side-note: The win 8 gui looks fucking retarded, but when the time comes I'm sure I'll get used to it within a couple of weeks.

Life without games was productive. Still lots of wasted time surfing but I kept right on top of the lawn and outside chores, and got a bunch of bigger jobs looked after, some of which I've been meaning to do for years.

I've played a few Flash games but there's nothing to hold your attention for more then a couple of evenings. To me there's no technical reason someone couldn't remake Panzer General or XCOM as a flash game, but the modern gamer seems terrified of complexity.

Here's probably the best flash game I tried - http://armorgames.com/play/12389/rebuild-2

Speaking of glorious complexity, what does everyone think of Civ 5? I know they dumbed it down a bit, should I stick with Civ 4 and mods?

My MMO poison of choice is still humming along. There have been changes but nothing huge, my main is still relatively well equipped.

I'm going to keep my MMO playtime under control this time, honest.

< Escape | What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs? >
productivity drop | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Still sticking with Civ III and Allied General by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 10:59:05 AM EST
though there's supposed to be an updated PG, called Panzer General Forever, but I can't get it running on XP, even after spending minutes dinking around.

Good Old Games has PG2 by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 11:28:03 AM EST
Haven't played that one, don't know if it's any good.

So, are you saying by Herring (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 11:01:36 AM EST
Linux is ready for the desktop?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
mine, anyway by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 11:25:47 AM EST
I heartily acknowledge I'm not a typical end user.

Unity hater here. by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 11:32:52 AM EST
Looks like win 8 is going the unity path (will try to download it, likely need something more intelligent the just firefox). I "upgraded" an ancient ubuntu partition, attempted to use unity and now run mint. If you can handle unity, I suspect you will get over win 8 fast.

On the other hand, if you are using windows as a gaming toy (a reasonable use for it), I can't see how win 8 will be a problem. I plan on downloading it tonight to try out directx10/11 (I've been using xp for games).

Wumpus

Solution by Oberon (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 12:32:44 PM EST
apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Having tried this, I greatly prefer it to Mint, which I used for a couple of years. It's less flaky and I don't have to spend time scraping the (fairly vile) Mint branding off everything.

How now, mad spirit?
you don't need windows. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 01:06:03 PM EST
just play quake live. these other games rot your brain and do nothing to improve your reflexes, peripheral vision, or timing.

Civ games by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 03:55:24 PM EST
Speaking as someone who has invested hundreds of hours into every Civ release (no joke, Steam tells me I've run Civ V for over 160 hours):

Civ IV is the best all around version.  The changes made with it over Civ III are almost all for the positive and in particular it improved the announces with corruption in Civ III and streamlined some things.  The only downside is that with the expansions (Warlords and Beyond the Sword), the game gets a bit too complex.

Civ V is a radical redesign meant to emphasize combat.  It's got some interesting ideas, but at the beginning, there were major balance problems, and worse, serious AI problems in combat.  Various patches have improved matters.  A bigger problem is a general simplification of the game system, throwing out a lot of stuff people liked.  A lot of player choice was just removed from the game.  There's now an expansion in the works that fixes much of this.

Of the two: get Civ IV.  It's both better and cheaper.

There's also their "console" version, "Civilization:Revolutions".  It's also on iPad and cheap.  It's not "real civilization".  It's very much simplified and short.  (A game takes 1-2 hours.)  On the other hand, I found it quite fun and so if you take it as a simple iPad strategy game rather than "Civilization", it's worth getting.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

productivity drop | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback