Print Story Attn: Stacky
Trolling
By clover kicker (Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 09:40:50 AM EST) (all tags)
Please do not follow this link: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/02/23/nyregion/022408-ESSAYS_2.html

On a related note, I see they have Lego for girls now.

inside - girly Lego

It's interesting to watch my kids play with Lego.

The Boy isn't interested in anything that doesn't have rocket launchers or ninja swords or transform into a robot. Some of his Legos do all 3.

My daughter otoh will build a house, or maybe a schoolbus. The minifigs are christened and they do relatively mundane stuff together. If we had infinite Lego I can imagine her building a minifig scale school or grocery store etc.

So yeah, the girlie Lego stuff seems well matched to the way girls play.

< duxupdate | and stuff goes on >
Attn: Stacky | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
On the link... by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 09:55:26 AM EST
Photos 3&4 I would wager are brother and sister.

So. by clock (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 11:37:51 AM EST
You know that when you troll my wife I have to hear about it for, like, a week, right?

Ok. Cool. Thanks.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

If you did it more often like you used to... by marvin (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 12:19:06 PM EST
Other people wouldn't have to pick up the slack.

You should by clock (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 05:58:39 PM EST
Refresh your feed to our house cam. I troll 24/7, yo!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

you're welcome by clover kicker (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 12:36:53 PM EST
I think the link is fairly tame as a troll, just an observation of something we all know exists, not really celebrating or advocating it.

I would just like to say by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 08:32:08 PM EST
that I have read this diary without clicking the link.

re: girl Legos: I think they're a bunch of crap.  Pink?  really??  also, the girl figs aren't compatible with the regular minifigs (except they do exchange hair and hats).  More than the pink, this is what makes me the most unhappy.  I think more girls would play with Legos (since there aren't enough playing to the extent they need to make special ones for girls, according to Lego) if you walked down the Lego aisle and 50% of the kits had girl minifigs in them.  When we were shopping for DK's birthday I only found 1 single Lego (regular Lego, no Duplo) kit under $20 that had a girl minifigure in it.  It was the Batman with Catwoman kit.

The Dude was very unhappy shopping for a birthday gift for his sister - he wanted to get her girl versions of the toys he likes to play with, and couldn't find ANY!  "I want to get DK Princess Leia and Padme bath toys!"  don't exist, along with his other ideas.  He ended up getting her a Duplo grocery store set, it has both a girl and boy in it.  For Xmas, he got her the Wonder Woman/Batgirl Little People set, "this way she can play Batman friends with me!!"  It's all very disappointing.

Yes! by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 06:42:35 AM EST
I remember playing with LEGO when I was a kid - I loved them - and there were boy and girl minifigs in all of the kits we got, pretty much (as I recall, anyway), and I think I would've been suspicious of special "girl" LEGO. (Of course, I was a tomboy who was suspicious of "girl" toys in general). It really seems like toy and ad agencies have taken a huge step backwards.
I clicked the link by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 08:34:02 PM EST
oh. my. god.

MLP by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 01:17:46 AM EST
Lego: 30 years ago

Wumpus

oh man by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 02:13:27 AM EST
they still had that same style of boat in the early to mid 80s IIRC. I wanted one so bad.

and trains with blue rails! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 06:13:07 AM EST

somehow by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 12:22:18 PM EST
I also managed to never have a lego train set.

Another unknown trauma of my childhood by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 12:27:58 PM EST
as a young boy, my parents bought me a Lego train set, with blue rails and the names of Swiss cities on the bricks.

They got a deal, the package was open, and there weren't enough blue rails to make a circle. At least the motor worked. I set up point to point railways.

To add insult to injury, there were two other opened train sets there, something ridiculous like $5 each.

I was finally able to circle my train a few years ago when my parents found a huge box of Lego at a garage sale, including another battery powered train, this time with grey rails.

I wanted so much Lego by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 06:23:28 PM EST
and I felt so hard done by with how little I had.

On reflection, I had loads. The only problem with my childhood, in retrospect, was my vast sense of entitlement.

But yeah, I never had a boat or railway. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 06:28:49 PM EST
But man, I was pretty lucky to have a forklift, and access to my brother's tractor, plus two different dune buggies, and whatever else it is I can't remember having because there was just too much.

LEGO for girls is a wildly stupid idea by Writer In Residence (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 09:25:03 AM EST
And, yes, I'm sure they will be successful, but not because girls would be more encouraged to use LEGO if they had more typically girly content, because the whole idea with LEGO is that you determine the content. I know, I know, they have specialized sets aplenty now, but that is mostly due to  the company trying to retain exclusive rights of their patent. Star Wars LEGO is awesome, and totally collectable, but Harry Potter LEGO would only be interesting to my daughter. My son, wisely, hates all things Harry Putter, as he should, since it sucks.

Growing up, all my LEGO was part of a constant Star Wars game. However, my friends whose parents felt it was very enlightened of them to not allow their sons to play any game with imagined guns (remember those kids? the ones who were obsessed with making every goddam they found into a gun because their parents wouldn't let them imagine they had a gun since studies showed that every boy who ever played with toy guns became a crazy gun-toting murderer?) would be the ones making little towns and buildings and playing in a way that some commenting above have called 'girly.'

As for the slideshow: that's just weird, since every girl I teach from the ages 7 and above is obsessed with black, pink and purple and dressing like a mid-ninties goth, a la Monster High. Anyone with that much pink or blue has one thing in common that I can see: their parents are the ones buying them all that crap and designing the colour of their rooms. What self-respecting, non-mained-by-his-friends-at-school boy would have that much powder blue content in his room?

in answer to the poll by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 07:54:35 PM EST
I think there are general trends in the way girls play and the way boys play, but it's just a general trend.  Sometimes girls play like boys, and vice-versa.  Some girls will always have more boy-like traits in the way they play, and some boys will have more girl-like traits.

This is why I believe most toys should have both girl and boy aspects to them.  That way, it doesn't matter at all who plays with them.  The girl Legos is a perfect example:  if The Dude builds one of his spaceships and wants DK to play with him, the new "Lego Friends" figures wouldn't fit on the ship (they are so completely different than the current minifigs!).  Now you have a situation that's no fun for anybody.

Well, build a bigger ship by lm (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 10:12:08 PM EST
I used to build lego ships that would hold my mutherfucking GI Joes.

Well, not mine. The ones I borrowed from friends because my mother wouldn't buy me war toys.

Cicero, The Republic
no, it's not that by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 09:29:24 AM EST
it's not the actual size of the ships, it's the ship parts:  stuff like the chairs.  the girl figures don't fit in the standard lego chairs.

They might fit in Techniq chairs by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 10:37:52 AM EST
or you could just make some bigger chairs.

the point is by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 01:49:07 PM EST
he would have to do things differently in order to play with his sister, assuming we let her use "girl legos".  That's just dumb, why couldn't they just use the regular minifigures?

why do we have to work so hard for boys and girls to play together?

I know, you should look for old soccer sets by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 01:53:11 PM EST
I picked up a Girl's soccer team for about $5, with lots of girls inside.

Or Europeans, if you just take off the long hair and put it on a guy minifig.

I think by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:12:12 PM EST
I'm going to have to buy the girl Star Wars minifigs a la carte.  It's all Star Wars, all the time over here.

Eventually she'll want to do her own thing, but until then....Star Wars.

I told The Dude he has to get me the Lego set with Wonder Woman in it for Mother's Day this year!

bricklink.com by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:31:53 PM EST
if you need to buy anything separately.

parts is parts by lm (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 06:15:26 PM EST
Geez, do I have to spell everything out?

Build a bigger chair and stick it in the bigger ship.

Cicero, The Republic
go look at the girl figures! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #26 Sun Mar 18, 2012 at 11:25:13 AM EST
they don't have attachment points in their butts to actually stay in the chairs!  ships tend to fly sideways and upside down a lot here.

Oops, I erred by lm (2.00 / 0) #28 Sun Mar 18, 2012 at 01:11:47 PM EST
response located here

Cicero, The Republic
Make a proper cockpit or a seatbelt by lm (4.00 / 1) #27 Sun Mar 18, 2012 at 01:10:58 PM EST
My Goodness. Do I really have to spell out everything?

A bit of string and your captain's chair now has a five point safety harness for the captain.

Problem solved.

I bet your young Lego engineer can think of other ways to solve the problem as well.

Which, I think, is the whole point of Lego.

Cicero, The Republic
he is 4 by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #29 Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 04:35:29 PM EST
give the kid a break!

When I was 4 by lm (2.00 / 0) #30 Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 05:40:27 PM EST
The Lego guys I had didn't have arms or legs. I had to rip them in half to "sit" them in the "approved" chairs, motorcycles, cars, et cetera.

That didn't stop me from building ships and what not. Nor did it stop me from building cars and planes that could hold my army men, or even my smaller stuffed animals.

Cicero, The Republic