Print Story I am confused
By Merekat (Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 04:52:52 AM EST) (all tags)
The UK is really becoming back-to-front land.

A country in which foreigners are considered scum, when practically everyone living there is a foreigner in some way, except the Welsh, whose name means foreign.
A country in which they complain other countries don't buy their stuff, when they've given them money for other 'unrelated' purposes (Dear India, you were insufficiently corrupt).
A country in which the mantra of getting rid of unncessary bureaucracy means paying someone else even more to do it or giving it to someone who has a main job of actually doing something else and expecting this to just work.
A country in which health and safety are bad words.

Last five days of work this week, then 16 weeks maternity. It occurs to me that this is the first time since 1998 that I will have a pause of more than 4 weeks in work/education/both. To be precise, a pause in the ready availability of adult conversation.

I saw the only existing pregnancy photo of me yesterday, sneakily taken while I was in a cafe. I was certain he must have used a wide angle lense like estate agents do, trying to make something look more spacious. Sadly, no. Overall though I seem to have avoided much weight gain and swelling and if anything my face looks sort of leaner and hollow. The only real annnoyance right now apart from the obvious is that my finger joints feel arthritic, though without being swollen.

Now back to the home sprint.

< Today... | No business like snow business >
I am confused | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I hate pregnancy photos by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 05:13:34 AM EST
While I don't feel like I look awful day-to-day, I always seem to look puffy and exhausted in pictures. I also hate the full length mirrors at the doc, for some reason those specifically make me feel extra huge- every time I see myself in them, I think "sweet Jesus, I have an equator and my own gravitational field." And yet, I'm pretty sure I'm smaller than I was with my boy- I don't feel near big enough to have this kid yet, and I'll be full term next week.
---------
UK by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 06:14:15 AM EST
My first response is that it mirrors America.  My second take is that it's really Rupert Murdoch's politics.  The anti-foreigner thing is something I haven't been able to jibe with his being foreign and all.   I haven't done a lot of thinking about it, but it might have something to do with his being native English speaking and white.  The anti-foreign element in politics is almost always race tinged.

---------------
Thing is it's not just Rupert Murdoch by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 08:27:31 AM EST
Other big papers not owned by Rupe are pretty xenophobic such as the Daily Mail and the Express.

Competition? by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Feb 09, 2012 at 08:32:49 PM EST
He sells papers, so they mirror him?

---------------
Nah by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Feb 10, 2012 at 05:40:02 AM EST
Daily Mail has always been a very rightwing rag even before Rupe.

Murdoch by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Feb 07, 2012 at 12:16:51 PM EST
He's not foreign, he's white and speaks English. <-- the actual hidden feeling.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Bad words by Herring (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 06:38:05 AM EST
See also "human rights".

A quote from elsewhere on the NHS changes:

In case you don't understand the NHS bill: GPs know they're being set up to fail by being given commissioning powers. Those are specialist skills.
After GPs fail, private commissioning expertise will be needed: large private corps, which will come to operate like health insurers.
These large bodies, like public/private insurance co's, will be able to pick & choose patients. Note no geographical responsibility in bill
Small differences will emerge in what services they offer. Top up plans will become available. And that, kids, will be that.
It is so very obvious that GPs are being set up to fail at the specialist task of health service planning that it's clearly not an accident

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Plus BBC hate by Merekat (4.00 / 4) #5 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 07:09:15 AM EST
X is a bad thing if the BBC do it(see Clarkson, who would be a DM hero if he were not employed by Auntie, and Downton Abbey which would be a waste of taxpayer's money if not on UTV)

How about a naked pregnancy photo? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 07:08:17 AM EST
To remember just how big you got.

Dude by Merekat (4.00 / 5) #6 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 07:09:54 AM EST
There are professional sites for that.

I don't need that by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 09:18:48 AM EST
as I convinced Mrs. Ha to take one while she was huge with fifteen year old.

Indian aid by jump the ladder (4.00 / 4) #7 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 07:43:49 AM EST
Don't agree that it should be tied to juicy arms contracts.

Do agree that the country that has enough money for nukes, fancy weapon systems and a space programme and has lots of billionaires should not be given money from the UK taxpayer.

Quite by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 08:54:52 AM EST
But the fuss was only made when the jet contract went elsewhere.

I think by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #10 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 09:09:26 AM EST
The fact it went to the French was the real cause for the ire.

I am confused | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback