Print Story boring stuff
Logic & Maths
By gzt (Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 10:45:21 AM EST) gzt, super bowl, math, chess, waiting (all tags)
I accidentally navigated away.

Still no word from people. Whatevs. Not going to go too crazy. Mid-Feb is the rule for most of them, esp. the state schools, as some of them have a school-wide fellowship competition that gets results in mid-Feb, so they only get back to the very top of the pile who they would fund regardless of how many people get funding from outside the department. At least, that's what I presume based on discussions and what I read on their sites, and I infer that based on the trickle of results as well. My credentials are good, but my relatively low GPA doesn't put me in competition for that level of funding.

Looks like I just got my tax refund deposited. It was nearly $2K this year. Much bigger than expected.

I'm drinking coffee today.

Work has blocked reddit totally. They used to block only certain subreddits. Whatevs.

Boss back from Latin America.

Need to do my numerical analysis homework. Am fine, for the most part, with doing it in Matlab (actually, Octave), but it seems there are a couple problems where they want you to use a computer algebra system like Maple. Bah. Maple sucks, the free alternatives probably suck, etc. I'm sure I'll figure it out, though. Maybe I should also do the Matlab stuff in R, too, since I need to get better at R.

We watched Six String Samurai last night. We had sort of wanted to watch it for a while because it came up, and then somebody mentioned it at a party a couple weeks ago. I hadn't sold it the right way, though. I had sold it as a take on western/samurai films, but I forgot to mention the crucial post-apocalyptic setting. The wifing unit loves post-apocalyptic dystopian futures, whether they're comedic or serious (for those who haven't seen the movie: it's mostly parody, not great, but good fun if you're into that sort of thing). ISO Advices: more post-apocalyptic or dystopian movies? Besides Blade Runner. Though I haven't seen the "Final Cut" version. So that can go on the list.

Fun note: I first watched Blade Runner in its entirety (the VHS version) while doing psych studies to get spare cash. It was a pretty sweet gig. They gave me drugs (like, alcohol or caffeine in an IV), had me sit around and watch a movie, then had me test reaction time or decision-making or whatever. Saw some good movies.

Played some blitz chess this weekend. Had some cheap wins and some bad losses. I still suck at blitz. I tried playing on the computer instead of the iPod and I found that I'm much better on the computer - mouse is faster, I can see the board better. Rating is in the mid-1400s because I play random people, which ends up usually being somebody around 1200

Did not watch Super Bowl. Do not know who won. Do not care. Will not see commercials. Though this came up on my google reader feed: http://punkrockor.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/why-the-patriots-decision-to-let-the-giants-score-a-touch-down-makes-sense/

I hate politics and politicians.

< No business like snow business | confusticate and bebother these dwarves >
boring stuff | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
actually, by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 11:42:05 AM EST
sage, the free python based "computer algebra system" is actually really good for certain things and has the advantage of having a real programming language for scripting. unfortunately, in my experience, it seems really terrible at some of the core functions of cas's like solving equations and quantifier elimination. it's more like computer algebra in the sense of, like, real algebra plus a bunch of random combinatorics and stuff.

the problems in question... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 11:52:31 AM EST
...that want a CAS are for solving equations and quantifier elimation.

well, sage is open source software. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 01:05:51 PM EST
obviously, they don't bother with the sort of mundane functionality that everyone needs and uses. it only works on unix and you have to recompile your kernel.

sage would be good for the rest of the work by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 01:13:31 PM EST
esp. as getting better at Python is probably better than getting better at Matlab, but I'm already doing it in Matlab and I am, horror of horrors, a windows user at the moment.

Dystopian futures by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 07:31:27 PM EST
20s
Metropolis

30s
Triumph of the Will (okay, so not actually about the future)
Things to Come

Gattaca
12 Monkeys

2000s
A Scanner Darkly
Children of Men

Cicero, The Republic
A Scanner Darkly by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Feb 07, 2012 at 12:19:51 PM EST
I'd argue that it isn't much of a dystopian future so much as some fucked up people living in a future that is cultural the same as today.  Nothing in the movie is out of line with anything that happens today.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
"Doomsday" & "Omega Doom" by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 09:13:05 PM EST

Logan's Run, Mad Max, Robocop by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Feb 07, 2012 at 07:13:32 AM EST

Bladerunner by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 07, 2012 at 12:23:48 PM EST
The Final Cut is good.  Unlike certain other directors, Scott actually improves matters.  The biggest change is the removal of the narration.  I think this improves matters though some say it makes it harder to follow.  I can't say myself, having first seen it with narration.

"A Boy and His Dog" is amusing if you like Harlan Ellison.  Misogynistic, though.

A modern one that I enjoyed was "The Book of Eli", though many dislike it.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Oh, and... by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Feb 07, 2012 at 12:24:57 PM EST
For comedies, the original Death Race 2000 with David Carradine.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I've seen it by gzt (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Feb 07, 2012 at 12:25:39 PM EST
I wouldn't inflict it on my wife.

southland tales by misslake (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Feb 09, 2012 at 05:27:34 PM EST
just watched it with MissTrish.
it was hilarious.