Print Story A few thoughts
Educashun
By hulver (Wed Feb 22, 2012 at 01:51:52 PM EST) (all tags)
Inside.

I'm just writing this while I'm waiting for my computer to reboot. It might take a while. I appear to have made it non bootable while trying to fettle the system partition so that the backup software will run.

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Reboot complete. Back into windows again. The backup is working now. I'll then attempt to resize the partition so that all my stuff will fit.

I'm running a bit short on space now I've started storing all my photos in raw format. It's good to work with, but it does eat disk space. I'm glad my camera is quite old, or the files would be even bigger.

I've got a couple of lenses now. An 18-50 that came with the camera, and my latest purchase, a 50mm fixed prime that stops down to f1.8. Frightening depth of field when it's down that low. Get the tip of someone's nose in focus, and their eye is going blurred. It's nice and clear though, and good in low light.

It was ReboundRabbit's birthday last week. We had a day out, taking pictures of large machinery and wandering around derelict industrial areas in Sheffield. Good fun.

I'm back on a diet. My brother is getting married in June, and all the main men (I'm best man) are wearing the same style of suit. Unfortunately they don't make it in my size, sooooo I'm having to lose a few inches of the waist so I can fit in the trousers.

Ok, Swyping this is getting a bit tedious now, so time to post this

< dear loop: please work | If I can do it, anyone can. >
A few thoughts | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
50mm portraits by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Feb 22, 2012 at 02:08:31 PM EST
I get the best results (assuming I want to blast the background into blurry oblivion) at f/2.8. Of course I am always tempted to go lower because I can...

Try a wide open macro by marvin (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Feb 22, 2012 at 02:49:57 PM EST
On something like an inexpensive 1:2, 70-300mm zoom at 300mm. Your depth of field wide open at f5.6 is a few millimeters if you are close enough to the subject. I have a picture of a bee with the body in focus, and the legs blurry. Some of my favourite pictures were taken that way, including a profile of my dog where only the near side of his nose is in focus.

The 50/1.8 is the best lens by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Feb 22, 2012 at 04:21:36 PM EST
It's the sharpest, it's pretty light, it's compact enough so that you can fit the camera into a smallish bag, and you'll never need a flash.  Everybody should just spend a year or two shooting with a 50mm.

50mm is the best by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Feb 22, 2012 at 04:27:09 PM EST
For film. For a DSLR, because of the smaller sensor, you need something more like a 30-35mm to get the same level of "zomg this lens is the awesome why the hell do I need anything else!!"

Vive le Montréal libre.
Unless you have a 5D like me [nt] by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 24, 2012 at 11:49:03 AM EST

Love a fast prime. Next camera will have one. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 10:17:18 AM EST
50mm is mild telephoto for a DSLR.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yo, dawg. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 08:49:56 PM EST
A good mild telephoto was my favorite portrait lens back when I had pretensions.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals