Print Story More Cat Antics
Furries
By anonimouse (Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 02:49:55 AM EST) (all tags)
Pet Sounds

Our Maine Coon kitten is just approaching 6 months old; every morning, she goes into Mr Minimouses bedroom, jumps into the south facing window and twists her head this way and that tracking each bird as it flies overhead, emitting little meows as they do so. After half an hour or so of this, it lies down and relaxes, before jumping onto the bed and settling down for a proper nap for a while before it gets up so it can play "ambush" on our older cats.

Talking of which, a few days ago, I heard one of our cats meow a couple of times and then go silent. After about half an hour or so, this was repeated. I couldn't work out where the cat was, but could only see two out of the three. Sometime later, I opened the airing cupboard to find a disgruntled moggy sitting on the towel shelf above the hot water tank.

One of our cats seems to have its tail wired totally differently to the others. Whilst the two "normal" ones get around with their tails following (more or less) horizontally behind them, the other seems to have its tail hard waving around like a banded vertical flagpole.

We had two rabbits, we now only have one. I'm not a rabbit friendly person, so these weren't my idea. We took one to the vets because it wasn't as plump as it should be, and an X-ray unfortunately revealed a large tumour....

Due to the cold weather, the other bunny has become an intermittent house rabbit, but we're not sure this is a good idea as the kitten seems to take its games of ambush much more seriously when the rabbit is the target....

Interestingly I was reading an article which suggests that the number of cats you can reliably keep is the same as the number of separate bedrooms you have. if the number of cats exceeds the number of bedrooms, then the excess number are likely to try and find somewhere else to live. It has left me wondering how these crazy cat people get round this theory...

< Tag! | Burning like a silver flame >
More Cat Antics | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
This reminds me by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 05:16:07 AM EST
So I've had my current cat for a little over two years now. I've also had a guinea pig for those two years. The guinea pig's cage is in the dining room/kitchen area as that has the most traffic.

Anyway, whenever I come home from being out, the cat is in the dining room/kitchen area near the guinea pig's cage. I had been thinking that it was just because the cat likes company and rarely goes off just to be alone. Also I've seen the cat and guinea pig sniff each other through the cage.

Not too long ago, I had the guinea pig's cage open and the cat was around. I saw the cat put her head in and sniff the guinea pig. Then...instead of being friends, the cat went right at the guinea pig's throat.

If you're prey, you're prey. End of story.

One of our cats... by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 09:27:04 AM EST
would sit in the window and "chirp" at the birds. It was really funny; dunno if he thought the birds would mistake him for one of them, or what.

And toxicfur should totally tell the story of her youngest cat Silas and the bunny.

Chirp? by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 10:24:53 AM EST
Mine makes a noise like the aliens from Mars Attacks. I think it is supposed to hypnotise the birds or something.

You tube search by Phage (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 11:09:46 AM EST
The barking cat.

LOL by purr (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 01:54:42 PM EST
I hope the rabbit makes it
Life is good when you are young. Then it sucks when you are old. And then you die. Live it while you got it.
I should have explained more clearly by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 04:04:53 PM EST
Rabbit #1 is now with Lord Frith

Rabbit #2 is safely in its outside hutch as the weather over here has got a little warmer....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
As per ana's prompt by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 08:27:07 PM EST
In 2003, Silas turned up as a stray ~6-week-old kitten in my neighborhood, and because I was a crazy cat lady, I adopted him. I also had, at this time, a rabbit. My brother P's then-girlfriend (now wife) really wanted a rabbit and he had gotten it for her, and then for whatever reason, she decided she didn't want the rabbit anymore, so I ended up with him. Silas and the rabbit were roughly the same size, and they spent almost all day every day chasing each other. The rabbit wasn't the prey - he was a playmate (the three older cats in the house at that time were not interested in playing with an insane kitten). The rabbit, though, would let Silas chase him, then do a somersault to change directions and take off after Silas.

When things got too rough (in her opinion, at least), my Australian shepherd Sadie would herd the two of them into separate rooms and would lie down on the floor between them.

While I have no real desire for a rabbit anymore (and I'm sure a rabbit would become a meal for the Jack Russell or the Vizsla), it was so friggin' cute watching the two of them play.

I don't think by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 08:48:48 PM EST
Kitten is already substantially larger than the rabbit and I suspect is going to end up much bigger as its already close to the size of my smaller adult cat.  So I'm not taking chances bearing in mind that it has been practicing neck bites and choke holds....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Probably wise. by ana (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 09:05:15 PM EST
Silas killed a rabbit (on the carpet outside the bedroom, but of course) summer before last, at 3 in the morning (but of course). So he's not always bun-friendly.

I suspect... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 10:19:21 PM EST
that it has as much to do with what the kitten will think of as belonging to him. None of the cats were particularly violent toward the pet rat, for instance (though I kept a close eye on them when she was out of her cage), but they did a fine job of keeping the house and surrounding environs free of small furry vermin. I kind of think that Silas thought the rabbit I fostered was an oddly-shaped  cat, rather than any sort of prey. Still, worth it to very carefully supervise them.
A cat diary from ammo. by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Feb 18, 2012 at 04:51:48 AM EST
Next week, aph's essay on the beauty and wonders of the vag.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

s/ammo/anonimouse/ by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Feb 18, 2012 at 05:34:49 AM EST
I loled, but you'll find cat diaries posted in the past when events concerning the beauty and wonders of the vag are minimal.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Oops. by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Feb 19, 2012 at 08:36:38 AM EST
Saw one name, clicked the other link.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

Doesn't matter by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Feb 19, 2012 at 11:35:18 AM EST
Your comment would have got a 7 if hulver fixed the scoring system a bit.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Cats... by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 11:48:30 PM EST
One was picked up from the RSPCA, and seems to have been abused, she is always on the edge and you can't hold her for long because she dislikes forced proximity, once in a while she feels needy, comes to you, allows you to pet her once or twice, and then gives you repeated slaps in the wrist with her paw once she has had enough love.

The other was found lost in a big road. No microchip, so the owner could not be found (people: michrochip your felines!). He has really bad manners: begs for food all the time, wakes people up at 5:00 sharp, insists on sitting on top of the table during meals. And we have discovered he is deaf.

Cats by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 11:52:12 PM EST

The other was found lost in a big road. No microchip, so the owner could not be found (people: michrochip your felines!). He has really bad manners: begs for food all the time, wakes people up at 5:00 sharp, insists on sitting on top of the table during meals. And it has surfaced he is deaf, so one has to learn completely different ways to relate to him, instead of voice one has to use visual clues to show disapproval, which I am sure would be interesting viewing for an spectator....

More Cat Antics | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback