Print Story are there any good conservative news magazine things?
Cars
By gzt (Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 01:48:12 PM EST) gzt, retirement, papa johns, obamacare, conservative news (all tags)
For Americans. Y'know, the conservative equivalent of The Atlantic or Slate or whatever? Y'know, when you want something more editorialized than a newspaper, since newspapers are "objective".

Note: for newspapers, I mostly read the NY Times or foreign coverage like BBC or Al Jazeera. I gave up reading French newspapers some time ago because I was too lazy to keep it up.

I feel like I need something to "unskew" me since I read things like The Atlantic and Slate but, you know, nothing equivalent on the other side.

Most of what I run into by googling is crazy nutty stuff like Faux News and whatever. I sometimes read The American Conservative, but they're one particular brand of conservative and that's only one source (also, I have a strong personal dislike of one of their columnists, Rod Dreher). I feel like I need a little more, but something else like them would be good. Bonus points if they're not scientifically illiterate (eg: not climate denialists).

I already have enough Marxist sources. I do not want any Libertarian sources. And, very seriously, no unskewing.

Also, the Papa John's guy's remarks about Obamacare were not really all that bad. It's a simple reality that if you make it more expensive to have employees, small businesses will find ways to absorb and avoid the costs - get around "full time" definitions, raise costs to consumers. That's simply what happens when costs go up.

Also, people need to think a lot more about their retirements and save a lot more. 25% isn't enough and nobody saves 25%.

Anyway, don't worry, I'm not committing any thought crimes. I still think hanging some coal and bank executives might be a productive policy.

< Don't thank me, thank the knife | Revisionism >
are there any good conservative news magazine things? | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The majority of The Economist's sales are US by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 01:55:54 PM EST
But I'd call it, like they somewhat pompously do, a newspaper, and pretty lacking in opinion. I'd call it radical centrist rather than conservative, whatever conservative means.

One of the simple market-based realities that happens if you make it more expensive to have employees is that you use the employees more productively, and the employees themselves are more productive. According to that famously socialist organisation KPMG:

At KPMG, we have found that the improved motivation and performance, and the lower leaver and absentee rate amongst staff in receipt of a Living Wage means that the cost is offset and paying it is the right thing for our business.

yeah, I read them by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 02:05:11 PM EST
They're "foreign" rather than on the US "liberal/conservative" spectrum. What I really want is Republicans.

where is the market by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 05:27:56 PM EST
for RINO media?

Wumpus

I used to read... by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 02:07:45 PM EST
the National Review.

Sadly, it's gone the way of Faux News since WFB died. It's telling, for example, that they fired Christopher Buckley after he penned an op-ed in 2008 explaining why he would be voting for Obama ("Sorry, Pup, but...").

Not that I've found by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 03:27:00 PM EST
The conservative articles and writers that I can handle are mostly working for the liberal media elite.  There's just not much appetite in the conservative media market for normal conservativism.

---------------
Reader's Digest. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 03:47:22 PM EST
Preferably one of the int'l ed.

Zero hedge by dmg (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 05:35:26 PM EST
I recommend zerohedge and Max Keiser
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Although I'm not sure if you would by dmg (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 05:38:02 PM EST
Describe them as conservative.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
commentary, obviously. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 06:48:06 PM EST
for all i know, it isn't just the cavalcade of crazy the massive volume of crazy quotes from it flying around the blogs make it out to be.

it seems they don't believe in climate change by gzt (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 06:53:17 PM EST
or, when they do, not that humans are causing it. so i guess they're conservatives. but are the true conservatives (viz: racists)?

they're fairly anti-arab, i think. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 07:01:06 PM EST
idk about generally racist, but that's a good start. if i had to guess, i'd say "yes."

there's also "the weekly standard." those guys are pretty anti-arab too.

more seriously... by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 01:41:28 AM EST
is this supposed to be some kind of madman in the marketplace-like performance art? the john birch society has had its revenge on the conservative movement.

maybe you would've considered the national review a respectable alternate take on the news 20 years ago, but sensible mainstream conservatism (which the american conservative is not) just isn't out there as a force distinct from publications like the atlantic. for a long time, it seems to me, magazines from the atlantic to the new republic have been drawing people from the non-crazy part of the conservative commentariat (as well as the more amusing crazy part, e.g. caitlin flanagan), while conservative outlets have been purging their non-crazy writers. the result, it seems to me, is that it's unfair to say that the atlantic has an american liberal perspective rather than simply an american one and quixotic to look for "conservative" alternatives of similar tenor and quality.

I think you might be right by gzt (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 06:19:41 PM EST
I wouldn't call The Atlantic partisan and there are some conservatives in there, but most writers are liberal if only because that class is liberal. (But Slate and Salon are definitely liberal publications.) Well, c'est la vie.

it's kind of a silly, liberal vs. conservative. by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 06:43:10 PM EST
some of the lefty blogs are interested in taking up the word "progressive" to describe their cause, which i wholeheartedly support. i wish i could call myself a liberal and not have anyone think, oh, like daily kos or whatever other schlocky lefty blog or the nation or whatever. to my mind, liberal is the default non-nationalist goofball american political disposition. it should take effort to be identified as something else.

as to salon and slate, salon strikes me as clearly on the left, slate less so, but left of center.

Reason used to be decent by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 11:37:09 AM EST
Not as interesting or readable lately. And it's libertarian rather than conservative as such.

Iambic Web Certified

Libertarianism is true conservatism by dmg (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 03:26:23 PM EST
Modern conservatives are basically socialist see: David Camoron for example.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Sullivan by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 12:22:49 PM EST

"So I will be hitting the snatch hard, I think, tonight." - gzt
sullivan the conservative... by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 06:46:45 PM EST
i like sullivan, but as much as he claims to be a conservative, he's essentially a partisan democrat now -- which is fine, i am too. as far as not obviously crazy conservative bloggers, larison seems like the gold standard these days.

There are a few decent conservative columnists by lm (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 07:26:57 PM EST
Peggy Noonan at at the WSJ, Ross Douthat and David Brooks at the NYT, David Frum at CNN. But I don't know a single "conservative" news magazine of enough quality that I would read it.

The Papa John's thing is hypocritical and jerkish for two reasons. (1) They didn't make a point out of deducting a percentage from each bill after various tax cuts such as the recent payroll tax cut. (2) He suggested that customers could consider the surcharge a replacement for tips. He'd be better off just raising prices all around and saying that he did it because of Obamacare which is probably reasonable enough.

Cicero, The Republic
that's Denny's you're thinking of by gzt (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 08:20:34 PM EST
the Denny's guy is a jerk.

yeah, I was thinking of the wrong guy <nt> by lm (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 05:10:24 PM EST

Cicero, The Republic
noonan, douthat, brooks, and frum... by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 11:02:20 PM EST
never heard of any of them!

btw, peggy noonan is an idiot -- not that i've ever heard of her.