Print Story I may have to give up TV until November
Politics
By wiredog (Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 09:31:08 AM EST) (all tags)
Living in a "battleground State" (VA) in a post Citizen's United world, with the next-door state (MD) having several issues on the ballot, means that lots of people are spending lots of money to put political ads on TV. Political ads seem to be the only ones on TV. So this morning, when the latest batch of annoying lying bastards show up I hit the control on the remote to switch to the PBS station.

< passive aggressive facebook war | knitR is awesome >
I may have to give up TV until November | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Yeah. by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 09:39:33 AM EST

I like watching New England Cable News, which covers NH among other places. And there's a hot senate race here.

They have this feature in Ordinary Time called "Does it work?" where they test those "But wait! There's more!" products that advertise on their own station (talk about biting the hand that feeds...). If only they'd do that, fact-checking the political ads.

Have you tried watching kittens? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 10:11:31 AM EST
I recommend watching kittens.

I watch this great channel by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 11:54:37 AM EST
It's called "Netflix".  No election ads at all!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Does it carry the local weather? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 12:07:36 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

You can get that by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 01:41:41 PM EST
at noaa.gov.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Trying out Hulu Plus here by LoppEar (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 12:19:40 PM EST
Wait, I have to pay the same price as Netflix but you're still going to show me all the same ads as before? At least I haven't seen any political ads... wait, no, I think I'll just not watch ads. Thanks. I hope there are political ads when I go to the movies this week. I do need to catch up on my Frontline's, though I'll skip this one.

The ads suck by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 01:57:39 PM EST
But I hear their PS3 app rocks!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Only a problem if you are a Nationals by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 02:13:45 PM EST
Fan (or maybe for those O's).

Just leave it alone for this month, or more. Netflix is good, noaa.gov is good for weather, let the TV go.

Wumpus

Warning: Obama is on to you and slipped an ad into Madden back in '08. I've heard has done more this year. Be careful with your TV even after reception has been disabled.

But all the alternatives require by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 02:54:30 PM EST
hooking up a pc to the tv and operating it at 0530.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Or a game console by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 07:56:32 PM EST
or a Roku...or others...
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
DVR by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 09:11:16 PM EST
Turn TV on, pause it, wait ten minutes, and then fast forward through commercials.  If for some reason you catch up to live TV then repeat.  It's how I normally watch football.

---------------