Print Story Attention East Coast USians
Fear
By wiredog (Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 07:12:03 AM EST) (all tags)
Mega-storm threat growing for mid-Atlantic and Northeast early next week from hurricane Sandy
There is a consensus forming in weather forecast models that hurricane Sandy is unlikely to go out to sea. Instead, it more likely will merge with a strong fall cold front and transition into a powerhouse, possibly historic mid-latitude storm along the mid-Atlantic and/or Northeast coast Sunday through Wednesday.

If you live in a coastal city such as Boston, or even one close enough to the coast to get the high wind and rain, such as DC or Philly, you want to keep an eye on this.

Update [2012-10-25 12:33:20 by wiredog]:
Damn! Overhead is about 6 feet, double is 12. If it weren't for the 15 mph winds... But Tuesday I may need to take a day off...

Where'd the "Insert File" button go?

< printf/fprintf/whatever | Columbus Marathon Recap >
Attention East Coast USians | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Thanks by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 07:51:47 AM EST
"No, wait, that's an east coast snowstorm panic operation."

There's a trip down memory lane to my year in Pax River, MD.  I'm still not sure why no one had enough TP to last a week or why everyone rushed out to get food with the shortest unrefrigerated shelf-life available just in case they lost power.  But it made the grocery stores a lot of fun to visit the day before the storms were forecast.

Everyone wonders about that. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 09:27:42 AM EST
Why TP, bread, and milk? Do people really think they'll be trapped in their homes for a week by an inch of snow?

When the "Snowmageddon" storms dropped a half a foot of snow there was a run on onions. Which has to be the weirdest panic buy item I've ever come across.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

The only time I've been forced by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 10:44:16 AM EST
to buy in such a situation (>1' south of the Mason-Dixon), I was in a motel in Largo and had to walk to a giant for any food (other than chili at the bar across the street). The only bread product left was bagelettes. I'm pretty sure I could get my instant oatmeal (can be cooked with a coffeepot in a motel room).

No idea about the onion run. Probably a combination of low initial stock and people seeing others buying an item with low stock.

Wumpus

o m g. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 08:19:30 AM EST
this will be the biggest natural disaster for the eastern seaboard since irene!

Actually by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 09:09:18 AM EST
Irene hitting overnight was not fun, and not just because of the tornado warnings and high winds.
They're still... by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 09:28:24 AM EST
repairing roads damaged in the flooding following Irene in southern Vermont. It was quite the storm there (over a foot of rain in just a few hours is too much for anyplace).

point taken by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 02:51:50 PM EST
i remember that time she shot me and stuck me in a cell overnight, then when i woke up the next day, she told me to escape with some crazy mayan demon statue. worst night ever.

guess it's time for another round:

In some of the DC suburbs by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 09:28:30 AM EST
Power was out for a week. I was refreshing the dry ice in the fridge daily, and cooking on the weber grill out back.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Whoops. Wrong storm by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 10:56:06 AM EST
Isabel killed power around here.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

My aunt by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 11:01:53 AM EST
in DC had her power taken out for a week for Irene and that derecho earlier this year.

I'm a little worried about the new neighborhood where I am at though. We have leafy trees all around which is bad news. Earlier this summer after a thunderstorm, our power went out briefly and several neighbors powered on their generators almost immediately.

I should mention we have a stream that apparently flooded out cars during Irene, but I live halfway uphill of it. My basement, however, obviously floods, with all of the water coming from my uphill neighbors.

At that rate... by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 09:02:52 AM EST
...The tail end should make it across the Atlantic just in time to soak Guy Fawkes Night...

The French Toast Alert System... by ana (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 10:02:35 AM EST
is Yellow!*

*not to be confused with I Am Curious (Yellow).

Dammit, how many times do I have to tell people by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 11:00:07 AM EST
THAT APPLIES TO SNOWSTORMS!

For snow you engage in panic buying of milk, bread, etc. For hurricanes you throw your lawn furniture in your pool and buy gas for the generator.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Attention East Coast USians | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback