Print Story Do you believe humans have landed on the moon?
Media
By gzt (Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 11:57:10 PM EST) gzt, binders made of women, esperanto, mittens, marriage, anniversary, rudin (all tags)
Elsewhere on the internets, the antiscientific bent (against vaccines, against global warming, etc) has led me to wonder whether they believe humans have landed on the moon.

Hey, I've been married three years now. It's been okay.

I think that's a full 1/3 of the time I've been on Husi.

I have to finish some homework, mostly trivial. That reminds me of a Rudin problem, for some reason: "Every closed set in a separable metric space is the union of a perfect set and a set that is at most countable." It's not bad if you know the trick, but before you do, it will get you stuck for hours and hours and hours. We don't get into that stuff yet. When we do, there will be two sorts of people: people who have worked through Rudin or whatever and people who haven't. Me, I did it 10 years ago while diarizing at K5. But that's only chapter 2, anyway, it's just topology.

I drank some beer (Goose Island Nut Brown, mostly nostalgic and on sale), but I still have to do some work.

We ate at a Thai restaurant - it was remarkably pricey for its quality. I could get better for the price in downtown Chicago, so I'm not sure what these backwoods numbnuts are doing. I could eat duck in downtown Chicago for cheaper than their pedestrian fare. And not in a dive-type place, a shiny place.

Before this, I had Bell's Porter because it was on sale. I like Bell's.

I'm secretly reading a bit of Esperanto just in case I have to drop out and form a utopian colony of goatherds who, obviously, speak Esperanto. It's my backup plan.

My beard is getting big.

Agriculture is the wave of the future.

I kind of feel sorry for Mitt about the "binder full of women" thing. Yeah, the phrase is great, and, yeah, it turns out that's not how it came to pass, but, on the other hand, women are severely underrepresented at that level and it's good he was doing something.

What this also reminds me of: the practice of binding books in human skin. It was a thing back in the day. Some people requested it to be done. Sometimes convicted murderers had copies of the judicial proceedings bound in their skin.

< Silvia Kristel dead at 60 | Let me say first that >
Do you believe humans have landed on the moon? | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
hm, i think the trick on that one by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Oct 19, 2012 at 01:26:21 AM EST
is to look up what a "perfect set" is on wikipedia.

i commend you for your mention of beers you've been drinking and for confining your discussion of binders full of women to books made with human skin and such, rather than getting into more disturbing, centipede-oriented imagery.

that is indeed the trick by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Oct 19, 2012 at 05:47:16 AM EST
i refuse to believe in perfect sets. there's always room for improvement.

bell's has been on sale for 7.99 for quite a long time, so it's hard to justify buying anything else.

indeed. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Oct 19, 2012 at 09:22:50 AM EST
the whole thing seems is so pat, in the usual arrogance of mathematical terminology. they're telling me my set isn't perfect just because it's missing a few limit points? fuck off, einstein. your sets aren't perfect either. they're not even metrizable.

I've got a whole different definition by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #3 Fri Oct 19, 2012 at 07:44:10 AM EST
 of a "perfect set".

I was just thinking by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Oct 19, 2012 at 02:48:44 PM EST
that wikipedia usually doesn't have that many pictures on their pages, so I can't see the "perfect set" page really being that informative. Maybe a google image search?

Vive le Montréal libre.
alas by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 2) #20 Sun Oct 21, 2012 at 12:53:36 AM EST
the world has one less perfect set- my set has been skewed.
---------
Ethnic restaurants by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Oct 19, 2012 at 08:18:28 AM EST
Back in Ohio, most ethnic restaurants were pricey and lacking in quality compared to the ethnic restaurants here in DCia.

I think it was something about the "exotic" food and the relative scarcity that allowed restauranteurs to over change for anything not squarely in the middle American dining tradition.

Cicero, The Republic
Bells and Goose Island by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Oct 19, 2012 at 10:20:50 AM EST
Two things we can't get in Texas, except via parallel import.

Bell's Pale Ale is okay, and I really like the Two Hearted.  I have also tried the Brown and didn't much care for it but I pretty much don't like any brown ales.

Goose Island, I have had Matilda which is great, and Night Stalker which is amazing.

Anybody here on Untappd?  I'm riceowlguy on there too.

bell's oberon is pretty good. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 19, 2012 at 03:07:32 PM EST
i got that on tap in chicago a while back. i haven't had their other stuff. i've found goose island pretty hit or miss for what i expect at that price point, but the beers i've had from them were definitely not bad. their belgian style line is the kind of thing where i'd just as soon go for 750ml unibroue or belgian import.

when on sale... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Oct 19, 2012 at 05:16:25 PM EST
...Goose Island is a buy for me. Their Nut Brown is good. But, yeah, otherwise, they're just okay. They used to have an oatmeal stout that was good.

You should try more of Bell's.

I believe humans have been to the moon by dmg (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 19, 2012 at 09:19:59 PM EST
Maybe even some Americans.

I also believe some moon landing footage may have been faked at some point, the "space race" being a propaganda response to Sputnik and all...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

Duck is for the poors. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 02:16:20 AM EST
Peasant chow, essentially. Whatever. Enjoy.

peasant chow by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 06:50:46 AM EST
Around here, 50 years ago, lobster was for poor people who couldn't afford proper beef/pork.

Didn't a husi by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 08:46:33 AM EST
point out that the "correct" cut used for fajitas is probably used for dog food/hot dogs/McRib? The funky stuff that TJIFridays brings out sizzling is likely an ordinary cut that didn't require steeping in lime all day and then another day cooking.

Wumpus

skirt steak according to almighty google by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #21 Sun Oct 21, 2012 at 06:13:44 AM EST
and yeah that's a piece of meat you can't just slap on the grill.

The last few years I've been experimenting with cheap cuts like beef brisket, pork shoulder etc. Inedible if you're in a hurry, prepared properly they're sublime.

It's £6.90/kg at my supermarket butcher by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Oct 21, 2012 at 08:03:01 PM EST
i.e. the same price as (also delicious) shin, and the only whole meat the same price as mince. Still much nicer than any of the steak cuts for marinating and frying with peppers or Thai curry paste

Mitt didn't ask for the binders by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 06:16:51 PM EST
True story here.

And none of the women candidates got any of the cabinet positions he really cared about.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Right... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 06:34:47 PM EST
...as I said, "it turns out that's not how it came to pass". Still, he was doing something about the systemic underrepresentation of women in executive positions, no matter how ineptly expressed. Before that revelation came about, people were skewering him for the remark and it was quite unjust, IMO.

Did you read the whole thing? by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 08:00:42 PM EST
Here, I'll quote it for you.

"Secondly, a UMass-Boston study found that the percentage of senior-level appointed positions held by women actually declined throughout the Romney administration, from 30.0% prior to his taking office, to 29.7% in July 2004, to 27.6% near the end of his term in November 2006. (It then began rapidly rising when Deval Patrick took office.)

Third, note that in Romney's story as he tells it, this man who had led and consulted for businesses for 25 years didn't know any qualified women, or know where to find any qualified women. So what does that say?"

He totally deserves to be skewered for that remark.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

true by gzt (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 08:29:56 PM EST
he just sucks if you dig in.

He does deserve to be skewered but ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 09:56:33 PM EST
... not for the reasons that he is being skewered.

It'd be one thing if the whole brouhaha was about whether or not his depiction of the events were accurate if if the philosophical difference between himself and Obama that he was trying to communicate was balderdash.

But what's happening is that he's being skewered for using a sentence that sounds really dumb.

Cicero, The Republic
So what? by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #19 Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 11:30:09 PM EST
As noted in what I quoted above, he had been in business for how long and couldn't come up with the names of any potential women to serve in his wanting-to-be-business-oriented government? He simply hadn't paid attention to the women in his environment. It sounded dumb because in this arena, he acts dumb. Consistently (says the MA resident). Those binders created for him were descriptions/CVs/etc. of people who were women. But they weren't real to him, and thus the "binders full of women" remark. If they were people1 in his eyes, I don't think he'd make that gaffe.

1. Because you do know that feminism is the radical idea that women are people, right?

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)