Print Story I am more likely to vote for a Communist than any Republican
Software
By gzt (Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 01:00:58 PM EST) gzt, chess, early retirement, today, gmt (all tags)
Had a little fun playing with this tool: http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/candidate-match-game

Not terribly surprised that Obama was my top choice. Hunstman and Romney were the next two, but they were far behind. The calculator has its flaws, of course. There were several where there were a couple options that were okay and a couple that were terrible, the issue isn't terribly important, except that it's important not to choose the terrible options.

I don't mind so much that Romney is paying only capital gains tax. Perhaps the capital gains tax is a little low, but that's a different discussion. What I do mind is that he probably made most of his millions only being taxed at the capital gains rate because of quirks in the way executive compensation, particularly for fund managers, works. It's one thing for somebody to have earned income and been taxed at a normal rate, then invest the income to get a return and get taxed 15% on it, it's another to somehow get around that first part and have your initial earnings only taxed at the 15% rate.

I have class and then a chess game tonight. It will be a long day.

I drank a fair bit this weekend - all three evenings, which is quite an increase from the zero or one evening amount that has been typical. I had some wine on Friday to celebrate getting admitted somewhere, I more on Saturday because why not, and I had some beer and a gin and tonic on Sunday because we were at a friend's for dinner with a bunch of people. Oh, also: absinthe. Didn't do the whole big presentation thing with the absinthe spoon and all.

I've also been playing blitz chess on the wifing unit's Ipod. I'm getting better at blitz, but I still suck at it. It's a good way of killing about 10 minutes at a spell. I'm on chess.com, which kind of sucks.  Blitz sucks, too. It's only good to kill time and have a little fun, maybe also as a source of tactics problems to review later. It interferes with real chess thinking.

Some of the ideals of the "early retirement" people seem interesting. I doubt I'd want to retire early, and going back to school right now would definitely make that difficult, but it's something to think about, at least. http://earlyretirementextreme.com/ http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/ http://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/

Did my taxes this weekend. I'm getting about $2K back from the feds - far more than planned because of differences between spouse's planned income and actual - and spending about $200 on the state taxes.

When I schedule reports based on "today's" information, I want it to do it based on local time, not GMT, you bastards.

< And... | Television involving time travel. >
I am more likely to vote for a Communist than any Republican | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Obama, Paul and Huntsman by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 01:47:26 PM EST
Obama slightly ahead. I suppose the quiz is based on statements by the respective candidates, not practices, based on the high ranking of "I'm not a racist, but if I'll make millions pandering to them".

yeah, statements. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 02:21:44 PM EST
I hate elections.

Same names, slightly different order by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 05:31:40 PM EST
Obama > Huntsman > Paul

I know most of the candidates fairly well. I'm trying to figure out a world where those names in that ordering makes sense given all the positions of the other candidates.

But, my answers didn't match well to any candidate. Apparently, I agree with Obama on 4 out of 11 issues. Weighting of the questions put him at just over 50% but I'm not very comfortable with how the weighting works (or doesn't).

Moreover, I think most questions of policy are best suited for a match up on legislators. The sorts of policy questions suitable for a president are more along along the lines of 'if a law says X, then will you enforce like X, Y, Z or None of the Above?'

Cicero, The Republic
A foreign policy not based on Pax Americana? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 06:09:35 PM EST
Maybe a sane immigration policy (I don't know  Paul's).

Not only does Paul want to build a fence ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 06:26:49 PM EST
... he wants to revoke birth-right citizenship.

Cicero, The Republic
It's all really complicated by Herring (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 08:08:25 PM EST
When they were insane in the same way then you could understand the candidates. Now they are insane in lots of different ways and it's just all too complicated.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Actually, I just figured it out by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 08:00:06 PM EST
You can hover over the bar charts to see where your issues coincided with the candidates. I match Huntsman on the Afganistan and Social Security questions and Ron Paul on the Cut National Defense question. I also match Perry (Afghanistan) and Romney (Social Security) on single questions but I guess the software doesn't do well with a three way tie for third place.

Cicero, The Republic
conterpoint by nathan (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 02:52:35 PM EST
"Blitz sucks, too. It's only good to kill time and have a little fun, maybe also as a source of tactics problems to review later. It interferes with real chess thinking."

Disagree, playing blitz can be an important aspect of developing tactical vision. You can achieve tactical vision in other ways, like studying lots of canned problems, and blitz can train you into bad habits if you care more about winning than about playing well (e.g., playing a tempting variation without thinking about potential refutations, hoping to swindle) but OTOH the Polgars, Nakamura, etc. play blitz all day without any obvious impairment of their larger chess abilities.

Back in the day (tm), club players used to play casual games constantly. Who has time for that today? Certainly not me. Online blitz is a substitute for that experience of constant tactical and positional novelty.

The "spoon" is for shitty absinthe. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 04:03:43 PM EST
Sol'n: Don't drink shitty absinthe.

i like that early retirement guy. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 06:12:48 PM EST
"my wife has not yet attained financial independence." lol.

and he recently went back to work... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 10:30:37 PM EST
...as a quant because he was bored.

nice. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 11:35:09 PM EST
yeah, my early retirement would involve a lot of sitting around while the wife watches food network and alizee on youtube (got some madonna cover going on right now -.-).

Obama by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 07:24:57 PM EST
then Newt, then Romney, and then Huntsman.  Obama scored 6 of 11 and Newt and Romney tied at 2 of 11.   And yes, I would vote for Newt over Romney.  Four years of Romney as Governor was sufficient.  I don't need him in the Big White House.

---------------
Obama > Huntsman > Perry by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 11:30:36 PM EST
But I only agreed with Obama 3/11.

Much of the problem being choosing "none of the above" for most of the questions.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

'how do you think inequality should be addressed by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 11:43:22 PM EST
in public policy?'

a. by introducing a surcharge on households making more than $250,000/yr.
b. the government should send greeting cards to top earners congratulating them for their hard work and success.
c. by increasing estate and capital gains taxes
d. none of the above.

as a proponent of the guillotine, i too was forced to pick d. the two party system represents such a narrow range of opinion.

the schocking thing about the revolutionaries: by nathan (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 12:12:08 AM EST
They were a bunch of nobodies, mediocrities, failures... even Mirabeau's reputation didn't last very long, but compared to him, the likes of Saint-Just and Robespierre look like a bunch of vermin. This led Maistre to remark that the Revolution was indeed a Providential judgment, because such nullities could never have overthrown the government under their own power.

"schocking?" WTF is wrong with me [nt] by nathan (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 03:47:12 AM EST

indeed. by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 08:09:26 AM EST
what today's revolutionaries fail to see is that they too can achieve 15% tax rates. people these days no longer see the value of a hard days work, the feeling of being part of something, the camaraderie of the workplace, etc. shouldn't the rich envy the working man the clarity of a life spent showing up, doing what he's told, and going home with a wad of bills in his fist?

imagine being mitt romney, drifting from campaign stop to campaign stop, while silently money you need a presidential campaign to know what to do with piles up. what do you do when you've traveled the world, when you can buy all the best food and drink, when there is nothing new left for you? an extra 15% or so in taxes is a small price to pay not to have to face down the abyss everyday.

worst part by gzt (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 08:17:47 AM EST
as a mormon, his vision of heaven is a reification of this success. he'll be a rich man with his own planet. a god, even.

forbes wrote an article by garlic (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 12:48:24 PM EST
on income tax, and showed that due to deductions, people don't pay anywhere near what they think due to the tax brackets. I paid something like 11% against my AGI due to deductions.

I'd be for a progressive capital gains tax -- say 15% on your first million, and 35% on anything above that.

I'm rather surprised at how little tax I paid by gzt (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 12:53:05 PM EST
I was expecting $1000 back because of my miscalculation, I got $2000 back. Are you including FICA and all that? Or just that one line on the 1040?

just the income tax. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 09:18:47 AM EST
the forbes article was making a bogus argument about the Warren Buffet rule (ceo's should pay more total in taxes than their secretaries) by just looking at income tax and ignoring everything else. I was surprised to see the IRS' numbers that those in the 100k-200k income bracket only pay 12% on their AGI.

I came out around 8.8% by gzt (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 11:01:06 AM EST
despite some self-employment stuff on the wife's end. just using the standard deduction. mostly because of some tax credits i was hardly expecting which reduced things quite nicely. without them, i would've been barely under 10.

I will not hold my nose. by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 05:08:04 PM EST
Obama will NOT get my vote. This is why I said two years ago that Palin has a chance. Unless the Dems field a challenger, whoever runs against the incombent has a decent chance of winning, and as much as the field sickens me, I now stand by the idea that not even McCain could have done worse.

If no on better is fielded I will not vote, mainly because there is no such thing as "None of the above" which would go a long way to setting up a better field if that got the majority (which it probably would have since 1968).

woof.