Print Story Thank you PlusNet
Help!
By anonimouse (Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 05:49:25 AM EST) (all tags)
For losing my entire contents of the IMAP server for my domains, holding mails from 2003.

Anonimouses Superglue Law.

Anonimouses Superglue Law:
for all occasions n = 1,2,3... where a tube of superglue is required, the probability p of
a) finding the superglue and
b) discovering the tube has not set solid
is described by the formula:
p = 1 / n3

Plusnet

AAAARGGGGGH!!!

Damn those bloody good honest Yorkshire folk.

Perfectly timed for when I am in the process of upgrading my PCs from XP/ Vista to Windows 7.

< Getting older. | Blitzkreig Bop >
Thank you PlusNet | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Yeah, that's right by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 06:07:58 AM EST
It's their fault for not backing up your emails for you...

I mean really dude, you're a programmer; why weren't you backing up your own stuff, especially in this day and age of quick 'n' easy Dropbox fun?

I have backups by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 06:30:05 AM EST
... but don't let that interrupt my little rant

There is now the inconvenience not having my last 10 years email globally accessible from whereever I happened to be.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
So what's the problem then? by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 06:33:43 AM EST
You have backups, rest is easy. Personally, I'd go for the path of maximum laziness and load the lot into a Google Apps hosted email job innit ;)

PlusNet by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 05:49:43 PM EST
Weren't they yet another boutique ISP that was quietly swallowed by that last vestige of state owned PSTN monopolies, BT?

Am i rite by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 05:50:39 PM EST
iam

I'd love to say plus.net had bad customer service, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 06:27:37 PM EST
but I've been with them in this house for 3 years and not had to use them, apart from when I cut the price of my contract to a newly advertised one.

They've been good for my purposes. The bundled Thomson router's a bit crap, but I get my full 20Mb/s (which of course is due to the line, not plus.net, but the backhaul copes fine, too) and I've had no cause to complain, and nor did I when I used them from 2003-2005.

They only supply mail and host dns for me by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 12:13:17 PM EST
Their service was good until this latest incident.

I'm not impressed that they managed to lose the mail settings and the contents of every single mail account hosted on that domain.

As they say if you want something doing properly...

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Before the buyout by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 06:52:27 PM EST
They were killer.  Any probs on the connection, call up their call centre, no ticklist of inconvenience to go through as you explain yes I've rebooted everything, done DNS refreshes et al - their techies were proper techies.

Then they went downhill and I went elsewhere.

But eh, if it works OK for you then result.

I've not had any probs on the connection. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 07:54:00 PM EST
But before the buyout, I was on a dodgy above ground telephone line, and here, it's all underground and high quality wiring.

It's really not a problem. Voice quality on the BT line is a problem. If I stay in this city, I might go for a wires only ADSL and port my number over to VoIP with these guys. Pricier, but it'd feel right being done with PSTN, and also, they know what they're talking about.

Thank you PlusNet | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback