Print Story Living in Sky
By TheophileEscargot (Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 08:48:09 AM EST) Reading, Watching, MLP (all tags)
Reading: "The Children of the Sky". Watching. Links.

What I'm Reading
Finished The Children of the Sky by Vernor Vinge, sequel to the classic "A Fire Upon the Deep".

Pretty disappointed by it. It's set entirely on Tines' World which we saw in the last one: doesn't introduce any exciting new ideas or aliens, doesn't have any grand battles. There's not much development of the plot: the situation at the end is similar to that near the beginning. The Blighter fleet is still stuck in space, the chief human villain still leads a faction, the Deniers haven't been exposed by Greenstalk. The characters, never his strongest point, aren't particularly interesting.

Overall, not really worth reading. Wish he'd written a sequel to "Rainbows End" instead.

What I'm Watching
Saw all three episodes of the second series of Sherlock. The first one was fairly good, despite a couple of silly twists too far near the end and a daft stock character. The second one, the Hound of the Baskervilles, I thought was excellent, with a nice twist on the original.

The third one I thought was a bit of a yawn, as the villain is played by a tiny, camp, screechy guy who lacks any menace, and the whole thing was obviously trudging towards a predictable cliffhanger. Devoting the whole last episode to setting up a tune-in-next-series is annoying enough when there are twenty episodes per series, let alone three.

Some good mini-mysteries and observational gimmicks throughout though.

Maybe I'm missing something about the casting though though, as Eddie Izzard keeps getting cast as a villain too. Maybe short, camp men are deeply terrifying to most people?

Web
Video. Google images find similar, iterated. Hello.

Politics. Attacks on prostitutes, anti-"trafficking" policy making things worse? The Oatmeal, Wikipedia protest SOPA/PIPA.

Sci/Tech. Study confirms it's a bit pointless to organize your emails into folders if you've a decent search function, via.

Articles. Who Killed Dubstep? Via. Does sport build character?

Pics. More unbuilt London structures. Gemini pics restored.

< Been awhile since I've done one of these.. | I played a truly terrible game of chess last night. >
Living in Sky | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Sherlock by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 08:57:44 AM EST
Not bad. Thought the first episode was better than the second.

The Hound Of Baskervilles reminded me of Scoobie-Doo episode where a monster/ghost is actually to hide some sort of crime and the villian would have got away with it if it was for those meddling bromantics.

The first episode by Herring (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 10:25:51 AM EST
also had bonus nudity.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Moriarty by priestess (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 09:33:25 AM EST
Yes, I agree that Moriarty just isn't scary at all, seems like just a little weasly geek really. Sherlock was otherwise great though.

Pre.........
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

CotS by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 09:59:01 AM EST
I somewhat disagree; I think the hive mind concept is actually pretty interesting and wish he'd done more with it.

That said, the entire book reads like the middle section of a trilogy.

It's a great concept by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 01:20:12 PM EST
But we'd seen quite a bit of it in the last book. I don't think we didn't really learned much more. I suppose we saw a bit more of the Tropical Choir that was only referred to in the last one.
yeah by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 02:20:01 PM EST
Wot? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 10:08:10 AM EST
I refuse to believe proper English ladies are engaging in vile acts of prostitution. The very thought is giving me the vapours.

Moriarty by Merekat (4.00 / 5) #6 Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 02:45:35 PM EST
When they brought him in at the last ep of season 1, I could not shake the mental image of a slightly demented Graham Norton.

To sum up my feelings by Phage (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 07:01:02 AM EST
TV vs Movie

Plot and writing: TV > Movie
Sherlock: Cumberbatch > Downey
Watson: Freeman > Law
Moriarty: Harris > Scott
Mycroft: Fry > Gatiss

TV 3, Movie 2.

As a bit of a Sherlock fan, I saw both on the same day. Both were a lot of fun in different ways. I felt that the TV is far truer to the original.

Lestrade. by Phage (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 07:03:18 AM EST
Oooh. Tough one....

Marsan > Graves - just. Love them both.

Graves reminds me an awful lot of Herring by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 01:44:31 PM EST
Which, given what my colleagues said about him, is quite a complement.

Email... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 09:22:43 AM EST
Critical point of failure in the study was mentioned in one of the mefi comments - search works up until it doesn't. And it breaks down when you have correspondents who are slack with subject/body text/filenames and are sending you pictures (or something else that relies on attachments.)

I'd actually go further than that, I'm pretty good with Google search in general, but using Gmail as an example, quick search relies on you remembering two or three vital, unique elements to search for. One of these is usually easy (person) - although not always if they sent it from an alternative address. Subject matter varies in ease of uniqueness (as noted above)...

So often you end up with an over-wide search and a lot of scrolling. That actually works well in a desktop program, but it's ugly on a paged webmail...

I think this is why by garlic (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 10:13:46 PM EST
gmail's labels work so well for me -- they basically act as tags to help with your search.

It's probably just me... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 09:25:43 AM EST
but the older Unbuilt London structures all seem more fascinating than the more modern ones...

Mind you a Thames Lido might have been a good thing for that area. As it is, it seems the Design Museum is destined to move away.

The Bee by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 10:44:16 PM EST
Poem mentioned in sport link. Hadn't heaed of it before. I liked it

Iambic Web Certified