While driving home from the first follow-up, a week before Christmas, Dad called. He'd been out hiking, slipped on ice, and dislocated his elbow. He picked himself up, stuffed his hand in his shirt so it wouldn't flop around, and walked to his truck. Which he then drove to the hospital in. It's a stick shift.
So the Christmas trip to visit him we didn't do much. Except eat. And talk. Good trip, actually.
I've since lost all the weight I put on and am back to weighing 60 lbs (that's what, like, 2 stones or 100 kg?) over what I weighed when I got out of the Army. Who knows, I might get below 210 by summer.
Work is work. I like what I'm doing, get paid decently, and am in an arena (counter intel/counter terrorism, FBI contract) where budget cuts are unlikely and working for one of the larger (but not huge) contracting firms.
Last time I thought that I got laid off.
Two more months, barring financial disaster, and the credit card will be paid off. It was $24,000 a year and half ago. So I'm well paid, but living poor, as the payments are equivalent to a second mortgage. Then I can start on the List:
- Water heater. Original is near its design life.
- New computer. Mac Mini+Cinema display, 27" iMac, or Mini+a good 24" monitor? Probably the latter, as I can then get the mini fully tricked out. Reason: I have a 24" iMac with a perfectly good monitor, but the hd is full, and there isn't enough memory. Would be nice to keep the monitor and replace the rest, but...
- New smart phone. The Droid 4 looks good.
- Camera. Canon T3i with a couple of lenses.
- Bicycle. Something like this.
Meanwhile, people are starting to talk about beach houses.
Also have to start putting money in the retirement fund, which was destroyed in the crash. Thanks Bankers!
It's 60°F outside. In January. I want some freakin' snow, dammit!
|< O quam cito transit gloria mundi | Living in Sky >|