Print Story Been awhile since I've done one of these..
By wiredog (Tue Jan 17, 2012 at 07:00:19 PM EST) (all tags)
Not much happening. Don't know if that's good or bad, but I may have an angst deficit.

A few years ago a baby tooth that had never been replaced, and which had definitely exceeded its design lifespan, had to be pullled. I'm in the process of getting an implant. Turns out that the dental insurance covers 1/3 of the cost, so I'm only out $800. The actual implant part, a titanium (I think) anchor is in, just waiting for the bone to build up around it to see if it's set properly. It was an outpatient procedure. Completely painless.

While driving home from the first follow-up, a week before Christmas, Dad called. He'd been out hiking, slipped on ice, and dislocated his elbow. He picked himself up, stuffed his hand in his shirt so it wouldn't flop around, and walked to his truck. Which he then drove to the hospital in. It's a stick shift.

He's 83.

So the Christmas trip to visit him we didn't do much. Except eat. And talk. Good trip, actually.

I've since lost all the weight I put on and am back to weighing 60 lbs (that's what, like, 2 stones or 100 kg?) over what I weighed when I got out of the Army. Who knows, I might get below 210 by summer.

Work is work. I like what I'm doing, get paid decently, and am in an arena (counter intel/counter terrorism, FBI contract) where budget cuts are unlikely and working for one of the larger (but not huge) contracting firms.

Last time I thought that I got laid off.

Two more months, barring financial disaster, and the credit card will be paid off. It was $24,000 a year and half ago. So I'm well paid, but living poor, as the payments are equivalent to a second mortgage. Then I can start on the List:

• Water heater. Original is near its design life.
  • New computer. Mac Mini+Cinema display, 27" iMac, or Mini+a good 24" monitor? Probably the latter, as I can then get the mini fully tricked out. Reason: I have a 24" iMac with a perfectly good monitor, but the hd is full, and there isn't enough memory. Would be nice to keep the monitor and replace the rest, but...
  • New smart phone. The Droid 4 looks good.
  • Camera. Canon T3i with a couple of lenses.
  • Bicycle. Something like this.
When I get the hot water replaced I may get some other work done, depending on the cost. Would like to convert the kitchen to gas, get a new fridge, couple other things. We'll see.

Meanwhile, people are starting to talk about beach houses.

Also have to start putting money in the retirement fund, which was destroyed in the crash. Thanks Bankers!

It's 60°F outside. In January. I want some freakin' snow, dammit!
< O quam cito transit gloria mundi | Living in Sky >
Been awhile since I've done one of these.. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Come and get it. by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jan 17, 2012 at 07:43:41 PM EST
I had hoped this would be a snow-free winter, but this week broke our snowless stretch.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Wish you could send it this way. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jan 17, 2012 at 10:07:18 PM EST
But it'd have to get across the country. We need a good nor'easter.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Lion doesn't seem to work with some older monitors by lm (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jan 17, 2012 at 08:04:26 PM EST
We replaced my wife's 2007 Mac mini with an updated version. Out of the box, the old monitor (Specter x20g) didn't work. After much troubleshooting, time spent on the phone with Applecare, two trips to the Apple Store (one of which involved a complete replacement of the unit), buying a mini-display port to DVI adapter to try the monitor with Macbook Air (it also didn't work) and much Googling, I finally accepted the truth: some older DVI monitors just don't work with Lion.

So now my youngest is tickled pink about having dual displays (She's still on the Snow Leotard) and my wife has a new (and larger) monitor.

...

I appreciate your taste in bikes. If I thought I would actually ride it, I'd buy something similar in a heartbeat. Unfortunately my work does not have showers and I sweat profusely.

Cicero, The Republic
It'd be a new monitor by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jan 17, 2012 at 10:06:11 PM EST
Microcenter in Vienna has nice 24" LED HD monitor.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah, I misread the first time around by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 05:39:24 AM EST
Somehow my sleep-deprived brain read 24" iMac as Mac mini with a 24" monitor.

I don't know of any problem with Lion and new monitors.

Cicero, The Republic
But by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 07:41:57 AM EST
I thought they just work?  I'm confused.

They just work IFF it's all Apple by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 09:53:48 AM EST
Mix in other stuff that hasn't been blessed by Saint Steve and you may go to hell have to look through the Apple support forums.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

which elbow? by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jan 17, 2012 at 08:31:19 PM EST
The left, correct?

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Yep by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 17, 2012 at 10:05:09 PM EST
Good thing he's right handed.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Your Dad by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Jan 17, 2012 at 09:10:42 PM EST
is a badass for being in his 80s. Wow, I could only hope...
My grandmother by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 08:25:42 AM EST
Once fell down her basement stairs (at 80) and didn't tell anyone for a week, because she didn't want people to "make a fuss".  Some people are just tough.

My Dad only told me by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 08:53:13 AM EST
because I was flying out later that week, and he wouldn't be able to pick me up from the airport.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)