Print Story White guilt...
Trolling
By dmg (Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 02:42:54 PM EST) race, humour, racism, White guilt, White racism, rap, hip hop, comedy, Steve Lilley (all tags)
As a White privileged middle-class male trying to navigate my way through the increasingly politically correct world in which we live, I often find myself unsure of whether to laugh or to be offended and demand a stop to "this sort of thing".

The latest media sensation to trigger this response is Chris Lilley.

You may be familiar with Chris's work from "we can be heroes" or "summer heights high", but with his latest work "Angry Boys" my PC-dar is indicating that perhaps a line has been crossed.

For those of you that don't know, Lilley's act consists of satirical impersonations of various Australian and now American Stereotypes. Which is all very well, up to a point. but when a White man "blacks up" and mounts a vicious attack on African American culture and then goes on to use the N-word to excess, then I think its it's time we took a step back and re evaluated our culture, after all this sort of thing was ended way way back in 1978 in the UK. There should be no platform for racism and or racists, especially not on The BBC.

Check out the poll...

< I was done with it, at the end of my rope. | Oh crap, it's a phone call at 6:25am! >
White guilt... | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
from avenue q by aphrael (4.00 / 3) #1 Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 04:00:04 PM EST
Everyone's a little bit racist
It's true.
But everyone is just about
As racist as you!
If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit,
And everyone stopped being
So PC
Maybe we could live in -
Harmony!

I have no issue with comedy by Writer In Residence (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Sep 09, 2011 at 08:57:53 AM EST
of any flavor, since it usually flows both ways. This however is not offensive due to black face or racism. This is just lame. I think in North America we usually assume Brit comedy is always good, but we probably don't realize that 99% of it sucks, like this thing. This guy seems to be doing that most British thing of all: more or less polite comedy for people nearing middle age who have only heard briefly about something like Rapper Music or Black Fellas on the news a few nights back.

Except that he's not British by dmg (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Sep 09, 2011 at 08:28:37 PM EST
He's Australian, as is completely obvious from his thick Aussie accent.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
... by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Sep 09, 2011 at 09:08:07 PM EST

The rule of thumb by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Oct 06, 2011 at 05:38:49 PM EST
Is how it'd make you feel to laugh at this stuff with a black friend present. I think it fails that test, but the cultural differences between the UK and the US muddy it a bit.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Lol by dmg (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Oct 06, 2011 at 08:26:53 PM EST
I just lent thie DVD to a Ghanaian friend, I won't exactly be watching it with him, but I will certainly be soliciting his views.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
White guilt... | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback